Broken Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, and don't know the differences between LT, LS, etc. I do know 350's have been around a lot longer than '97 though.

I see where the confusion is. I'm speaking of just the variants of Gen 3+ ("LS" blocks). The Gen 2 and older are irrelevant in my mind. lol

Comparing apples to oranges, I'd say the mounting points being divided over four points is due to the thinner walls of the LS.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update. Mounts can make a big difference in truck performance. Low end feels so much faster. I'm in love with the truck all over again at 208k miles.

Hmj7819

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I just returned from my mechanic after a routine oil change and he shows me I have a cracked drivers side motor mount!!!! WTF... I mean seriously GM? You would think they would install a strong enough motor mount for what people use these SUV's for. My mechanic ony works with GMC and Chevy's and he said he is noticing this often.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Oh and cause where it is located, not the cheapest of repairs either..:flamingdevil:

Yes, I have an 07 Tahoe Z71. I’m on my 3rd motor mount, 2nd replacement. The first time one broke I had it replaced at a shop. I know the guy who owns it so the cost wasn’t terrible ( more than I usually pay however because I do a lot of my own work). However, he said it was the first and last one he would ever do on an SUV 4x4 because of the difficulty. When the second one broke I was on the way to NC from SC for my granddaughters birth. It was Jan a year ago. I had to get some chain and bolts from Tractor Supply to make a temp fix until I got home. I replaced the driver side mount myself with very minimal issues other than that always present 1 difficult bolt towards the firewall. I am in complete agreement with you that the amount of wear and tear these things are obviously under they should have made them better. So good luck and if you plan on keeping this vehicle for a while just expect it not to be last one.

Hmj7819

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know exactly how it is going to go....I'm going to pay my mechanic $425 to replace it. I went to my local GMC dealership today to get a price comparison and he was very honest with me and said he would charge $500.

On a different note I casually asked him if they are helping customers with cracked dash boards and he said they are splitting the insurance cost with the customer and it will cost me $500 to fix.

Jonathan what year is yours? Just asking because I’ve had the same issue with my dash being cracked and now has a huge hole above my steering wheel across that dome over the instrument cluster.

Hmj7819

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got it. Other than that test, since I have a lube/oil change coming up soon, will my mechanic be able to tell, visually, that a mount is broken, or is it tough to visually diagnose?

yes any mechanic worth their weight in oil will be able to tell you if it’s broken whether your break is visible or not. Mine makes a loud roaring noise at take off (acceleration) that you can hear for about 2 seconds at initial take off from a stop. As well as you can see the front end of the vehicle raise on one side or the other when torque is high.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have an 07 Tahoe Z71. I’m on my 3rd motor mount, 2nd replacement. The first time one broke I had it replaced at a shop. I know the guy who owns it so the cost wasn’t terrible ( more than I usually pay however because I do a lot of my own work). However, he said it was the first and last one he would ever do on an SUV 4x4 because of the difficulty. When the second one broke I was on the way to NC from SC for my granddaughters birth. It was Jan a year ago. I had to get some chain and bolts from Tractor Supply to make a temp fix until I got home. I replaced the driver side mount myself with very minimal issues other than that always present 1 difficult bolt towards the firewall. I am in complete agreement with you that the amount of wear and tear these things are obviously under they should have made them better. So good luck and if you plan on keeping this vehicle for a while just expect it not to be last one.
Use the Hummer H3 passenger side mount on both sides of yours like mentioned in this thread and never have to worry about it again. It’s not fluid filled like all these that keep failing are.

Hmj7819

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got the same issue on my 2007 Yukon XL Denali. I'm considering replacing the driver's side motor mount myself.

One concern is supporting the engine without jacking on the oil pan (manual advises against due to concern of damaging oil pump pickup). How are you supporting the engine while you pull the mount? From above with an engine hoist? Is there somewhere below where you can safely jack the engine?

I did my driver side myself a year ago. Glen5437 is correct you can use a board to take pressure off and support it with a jack. I understand why they say not to but as long as your attentive and easy it’s fine. There’s a lot of things I’ve read and heard about using a jack from beneath but I think most of these are scare tactics. This is where a little common sense goes a long way. I did loosen both the other motor mount and trans mount also. I jacked the engine up just enough as there’s not much clearance for more without damaging something. Be sure before you let the jack down and tighten everything that there’s no pinched hoses wires etc and it’s sitting back where it needs to go. I had some major shifting with mine because of how long I went before I figured out what my issue was and repairing it.

Hmj7819

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Use the Hummer H3 passenger side mount on both sides of yours like mentioned in this thread and never have to worry about it again. It’s not fluid filled like all these that keep failing are.

is this one that has more vibration noise and vibration?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645