Attempted car theft need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I’ve got the front and rears coming.. don’t see one for our gates. Sucks too. The site made it sound / look like there was one, but only truck tailgates.
I also thought there was one. On the plus side--not a hard install. Did all 4 doors about 4 yrs ago. Just watch those sharp metal edges on the doors.

3Bignewfiedogs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As a retired cop and a mechanic shop owner for 30 years plus wrenching for 45 years, I have found the easiest way to keep your car is to put in a kill switch. Find the wire going to the electric fuel pump in the gas tank. Then cut it and spice in a toggle switch. I put the switch next to the rear seat inside the door (sort of over the wheel well area). Then when I park, I get out, open the back door to take out something, drop my hand next to the seat and flip off the switch (and if somebody is watching they will never suspect you just turned off a switch). No matter what they do, they won't get the engine started and they won't find the kill switch either. Putting a switch near the driver is easy to find and circumvent. However, be warned, that when the thief gets frustrated and can take the vehicle, they may instead inflect damage on the poor vehicle. Just my 2 cents worth and anybody can do this themselves for about $5 in parts and 30 mo9ntes of time.

OP
OP
F

Flingflanger

Reaction score
So I'm just waiting on paint now. I bought the ready for paint OEM handle for the drivers side. QQ do I have to hit that with primer or does it come with some sort of coating from the factory to promote paint adhesion?

And I'm definitely looking at getting a kill switch installed. Right now I'm pulling the fuse for the fuel pump every night before I go to bed.

OP
OP
F

Flingflanger

Reaction score
Thought I'd post an update. I installed a kill switch today which wasn't too hard but took a lot longer than I thought it would.

Hopefully the paint will show up tomorrow and I can get the handles prepped and ready for installation.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post an update. I installed a kill switch today which wasn't too hard but took a lot longer than I thought it would.

Hopefully the paint will show up tomorrow and I can get the handles prepped and ready for installation.
Can you share your parts list with us? Did you put a switch on the fuel pump relay.?

OP
OP
F

Flingflanger

Reaction score
Can you share your parts list with us? Did you put a switch on the fuel pump relay.?

The parts were some wire I had sitting around. One was 14ga and the other was 16ga lol. But it all works! Some male and female connectors to make a quick release for the switch if needed. Heat shrink and electrical tape. OH and some wire conduit or whatever its called to cover the wires.

The switch is this one I used. https://www.acehardware.com/departm...OGQifqHhBGlu7vDOsG4aAnumEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And yea I used the fuel pump relay fuse wire. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. If I did it again I'd paint the switch black first. I'm going to paint the switch in place as it stands for added stealthiness.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The parts were some wire I had sitting around. One was 14ga and the other was 16ga lol. But it all works! Some male and female connectors to make a quick release for the switch if needed. Heat shrink and electrical tape. OH and some wire conduit or whatever its called to cover the wires.

The switch is this one I used. https://www.acehardware.com/departm...OGQifqHhBGlu7vDOsG4aAnumEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And yea I used the fuel pump relay fuse wire. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. If I did it again I'd paint the switch black first. I'm going to paint the switch in place as it stands for added stealthiness.
Nice! Thank you. [emoji106][emoji16][emoji631]

OP
OP
F

Flingflanger

Reaction score
I finally got a break in the weather and was able to paint my door handles. I think Automotive Touchup Paint Co. shorted me paint. An entire can was spent painting only 2 door handles. I have 12 oz can's of spray paint that I've painted entire bike frames with multiple coats and I still have paint in the can. So I think they ripped me off.

It looks nice, but I don't think I'd buy from them again if they don't refund me or send another can of paint out. If I'm lucky I'll be able to install over the weekend.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got a break in the weather and was able to paint my door handles. I think Automotive Touchup Paint Co. shorted me paint. An entire can was spent painting only 2 door handles. I have 12 oz can's of spray paint that I've painted entire bike frames with multiple coats and I still have paint in the can. So I think they ripped me off.

It looks nice, but I don't think I'd buy from them again if they don't refund me or send another can of paint out. If I'm lucky I'll be able to install over the weekend.
Damn that sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo