Attempted car theft need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would replace the passenger side with a rear door handle that doesn’t have a key. You don’t need a lock cylinder on that side. And I agree 100% with automotivetouchup.com for paint and don’t forget clear. U-Pol #1 clear worked good for me, they sell it there too. The door panels on a NBS have no clips to hold the panel on, just (3) 7 mm screws. The panel just lifts straight up and off. There’s YT videos on it. I can pull my panel in 5 minutes or less.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys. I found a junkyard that might have a set in the same color already. Its a pull and save so if it hasn't been picked I could save a ton of $$ and get a practice round lol
That’s a great idea. Keep us posted.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys. I found a junkyard that might have a set in the same color already. Its a pull and save so if it hasn't been picked I could save a ton of $$ and get a practice round lol
If your lock cylinders are damaged grab a couple out at the junkyard and take them to a locksmith and he can re-key them to your existing key for cheap since they are out and you bring them in. should be like $10 each or something unless they have gotten greedy lately.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off let me say I’m glad your cars weren’t stolen. But what makes these trucks hard to steal? Couple years ago my neighbor behind me had a NBS suburban that was attempted theft but failed. I had it on my security cameras. The theif spent close to 10 minutes in the truck. Trying to start it then it would shut off. Start then shut off. start then shut off. It almost reminded me when I was installing my remote start on my Tahoe. The remote start would start the truck then immediately shut off because the immobilizer wasn’t installed properly my first second and third test run lol

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But what makes these trucks hard to steal?

I think bad luck (for the thief). If you look at the statistics in Houston -- and some other places in South Texas, these things are stolen often. Knocking the cylinder in gives you access to the manual locking mechanism. You successfully turn that, and it disables the factory alarm.

There is no way to fix the doors to prevent this, either. You can make it more difficult/time consuming, but a dedicated thief will get your truck.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think bad luck (for the thief). If you look at the statistics in Houston -- and some other places in South Texas, these things are stolen often. Knocking the cylinder in gives you access to the manual locking mechanism. You successfully turn that, and it disables the factory alarm.

There is no way to fix the doors to prevent this, either. You can make it more difficult/time consuming, but a dedicated thief will get your truck.

Yeah I imagine they’re not impossible to steal. I just feel like I see a lot of “tried” to steal my truck vs my truck actually got stolen lol. But I imagine the ones who tried have no experience with the trucks they’re targeting

OP
OP
F

Flingflanger

Reaction score
Well I hit up the junkyard and wow. These are popular parts! Every compatible drivers side door handle on the lot was already pulled lol! No color match door handles for me. :(

I plan on blocking off the passengers side lock so I grabbed a black passenger side w/no door lock and also another one with a lock cylinder just in case I can't recover either one of the ones that got popped. I've ordered the paint and clear coat from automotive touch up. So tomorrow I'll get the lock cylinder keyed and prep the black door handle for paint and see if I can't find a replacement drivers side handle somewhere....probably Rock Auto lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu