Attempted car theft need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m trying the jimmy jammer items for the doors. These plates block this kind of entry. They are cheap and I’m installing myself. Kill switch next.

This is what I have done to my rig, and placed the Jimmyjammer stickers on the windshield, right above the door handles.

The kill switch is hidden underneath the leather. You can’t see me enabling/disabling it when I start the truck.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m trying the jimmy jammer items for the doors. These plates block this kind of entry. They are cheap and I’m installing myself. Kill switch next.
Lost a 2005/2012 Escalade to the bums who steal other people’s stuff instead of working.
The problem with the Jimmy Jammers is that anyone who knows anything about stealing these trucks knows that the body sheet metal is thing. They'll just punch right through the sheet metal and turn the lock that way. :-(

I looked at the Jimmy Jammers, and figured it was cheaper to replace the tumblers and/or door handles than the sheet metal.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with the Jimmy Jammers is that anyone who knows anything about stealing these trucks knows that the body sheet metal is thing. They'll just punch right through the sheet metal and turn the lock that way. :-(

I looked at the Jimmy Jammers, and figured it was cheaper to replace the tumblers and/or door handles than the sheet metal.
Agreed. I looked at these after having a theft attempt on mine last year. The reviews are great, UNLESS you disregard the ones that didn't have a second theft attempt with the Jimmy Jammers installed. 2 out of 3 of the reviews that had a second attempt said they barely slowed the thief down. Apparently, there is enough flex in the plate to still allow the lock cylinder to be punched out.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
omg, that is INSANE expensive....

Doorhandles are a dime a dozen at junkyards. Thry are heald in by three 10mm bolts. Get deep socket and or extension and go to junkyard.

You can otherwise buy new. Is a common part. Believe you maybe able to get rekeyable lock cylinders somewhere too. ask a locksmith.

so far as pain matching is Stupid simple.... go buy colormatch spray cans at parts store... and clearcoat. You will also needplastic adhesion promoter for first coat.

If using parts from junkyard get red scotchbrite paint prep pads. Scuff old paint up... then ALSO buy sandable primer (gray if light color, black if dark final color)... spray with adhesion promoter then with your primer. this to restore part...

Then paint with your base color. And lastly with your clearcoat.

Whole peocess takes no longer than an evening.

Feel free to PM me. I have an extra black doorhandle from my 2001.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Lost a 2005/2012 Escalade to the bums who steal other people’s stuff instead of working.
I installed those too. Don't forget the one for the rear hatch.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think bad luck (for the thief). If you look at the statistics in Houston -- and some other places in South Texas, these things are stolen often. Knocking the cylinder in gives you access to the manual locking mechanism. You successfully turn that, and it disables the factory alarm.

There is no way to fix the doors to prevent this, either. You can make it more difficult/time consuming, but a dedicated thief will get your truck.
Truth, but the more layers of security you put in their way, the less likely they'll get it. I was planning to install jimmy jammers on mine. Would those not work..?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Flingflanger

Reaction score
I don't think I'll do the Jimmy Jammers, but I def will take a page from their book and use some clamps to help secure the lock cylinders in place.

Now I'm just waiting for parts and paint.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts