Attempted car theft need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flingflanger

Reaction score
So someone tried to steal my 03' Tahoe the other night. They popped both door handle locks but managed to not steal of further damage the truck.

I took it to the dealership to get an estimate on repair. I was quoted $900 to replace the lock cylinders and door handles.

Now I know thats red hot ********. Parts online seem to run about $180 online. Besides the cost of painting to color match the new handles, what would be the reason for such a high estimate? Labor is at $150 an hour.

Is there any advice on doing this myself? I figure I'll get the black smooth door handles, (that i don't think I even need) they're like $10-20, some color match paint probably will cost $70 max, and the lock cyclinders are around $90.

I'm told the new guy at the dealership says I need new door handles because the locks were popped in. Has anyone had to do this? Did you need new door handles or just lock cylinders. Seeing as how this guy was "confused" and they had to get back to me multiple times to even provide that piss poor estimate, I have serious doubts about the accuracy of his work.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A thief attempted to steal my daughter's Sierra and my Silverado from our driveway in September of 2020. They knocked out both door locks on both vehicles, and busted door handles on both sides. Your door handles might actually be busted. You might be able to reuse the lock cylinders, depending on how damaged they are. Otherwise you will need new ones, and they will have to be rekeyed to your ignition cylinder (or you'll forever have to have 2 sets of keys to your Tahoe). On the flipside, $900 for two doors, is about right for the dealership.

I used an independent mechanic -- he does all our vehicle work; insurance paid for most every thing, and I had to pay a deductible.

In terms of repairs, exterior door handles, exterior lock cylinders, uninstalling and reinstalling interior door trim to put the lock cylinders back in... $900 is a little high, but not insanely so.

Did the crook do any damage to your steering column?

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So someone tried to steal my 03' Tahoe the other night. They popped both door handle locks but managed to not steal of further damage the truck.

I took it to the dealership to get an estimate on repair. I was quoted $900 to replace the lock cylinders and door handles.

Now I know thats red hot ********. Parts online seem to run about $180 online. Besides the cost of painting to color match the new handles, what would be the reason for such a high estimate? Labor is at $150 an hour.

Is there any advice on doing this myself? I figure I'll get the black smooth door handles, (that i don't think I even need) they're like $10-20, some color match paint probably will cost $70 max, and the lock cyclinders are around $90.

I'm told the new guy at the dealership says I need new door handles because the locks were popped in. Has anyone had to do this? Did you need new door handles or just lock cylinders. Seeing as how this guy was "confused" and they had to get back to me multiple times to even provide that piss poor estimate, I have serious doubts about the accuracy of his work.

I had the same thing happen to my 1999 Tahoe LT 4WD 5.7L. I'm not sure of your damage, as you didn't provide pics of the damage, but my damage wasn't too bad. I guess they were just lazy as most thieves are. And I'm not sure if the 99 is the same as yours, but it was pretty easy to fix. The only thing I can recommend is don't go OEM parts. Get the better solid steel or chrome handles. I had to do mine three times because I wanted to keep it OEM and it ended up costing me a lot more than if I had went with the chrome handles. The OEM handles were made of some sort of cheap cast metal. When they broke you could see the small bubbles permeating the handle. Really cheaply made and of inferior material. Once I installed the chrome handles I never had a problem with them again. In hindsight I think the OEM handles just couldn't handle the weight of the door. The 99 door is really heavy. Just before I sold it a gust of wind caught the door and ripped it out of my hands. The spring and arm flew off and I never found them. I ran it with just the hinges until the end. Hope this helps. BTW, my 2012 Yukon SLE 2WD's door is heavy too. Must be something Hoes & Yuks have in common seeing how the drivers door has so much ancillary equipent in it. Aloha!

OP
OP
F

Flingflanger

Reaction score
There's like no damage at all, just the lock cyclinders have been popped out or in or however that works lol.
Heres pics
yW42rdWaNJlXzBboT1irkRc32phZHpE3dgHYlKiVFKCCG1YLovtwFYbJj8kP7QU3KTpS4rxwABcsAlA6a4P0tcS78HXH9pE6jeaQVk773tnlWn5PSF6_MGOr5-z0UWQdtoJNm0-hG5tvpx6yL_fttV8n9V0zMWVmUCAZmG7uPTr178Xf77xrbOZSAYVjEJyIe20soWMq5U67kkjAEphEwrgWTY8qoOBNLKprO_DZ_atXK9Isn_rE3LG6rlUNIav9zOyaFW7eFMHu7LEYGcGpB815c9PLi0FGPnuUB3pXSta3ML8I7G5DYM15MWbIUQzop1E1ZhIHSVFOiXboY2dIyufEhtUWsaMdkuwBtAbujYo2kX5UtZm6epaYCUjwjcKn7tBPVTwL-zo7l9Llh-B0-gVSVfQ8KQVdbCKYgXZNDM9jaIJaZC0E87O6h9Ntcd0Z-_XTBy5Yr6anHbX3okevYTPUEYh0q5KUlEOPViI6TcnuAcCeRHf59VXy3MSmXlf6B2Zz-8aG3lMFgjxQmvDi9sfXFCqU1A1j9ypDyU5zQczIMGN0xwDekBTqJxfkJDRvPuTqstZZvZp34OhnpoE2N0AH9p3s331C3XG4_9wfQ5dvqw1nXhVYs6LNMDnkOpbWzQBwIUHEa4GlaoJzWGFH8qJEnfT-PtUNHeapWL7V4pih2M-6ucnuzNNfxi7cTBPrvr2Xhd9crtigGrssQAUhVori=w1299-h1731-no
and the other door..
98CPCyXs2AMddbP6TUxq8su3R_cbrQFcwOW4-T6JMHMfUPXDGRzK9XTkRhyNjlHIeSOATMXHQ47YquHskOCkIv2AOfsOiRHmZSWqa3E65mjzNqNRgMIApZNS7SEgV2Sq4afypy9agLL8FzYS0jWPlOS1Mb8Zbz4g-fqKoxn0wZurAk9PgAANmXFGRTkKoK1Tp4HaeBk67rMlcAoxKdpISeLcbPPlesqDTgCvr-3bHHEmj4HOuytBFFrdRs80J37iKOCi6mAX5BQXtpWOGhIf_uoRCG0Dg-R-gMMyVHNovwjGmhh-Y_OX5oLNcdVIPZLlMrwj3NwTMTXtwdzXTg6jPYwRyvs2gQ_zh7W8ADgcfOYsyHd3IvlF3xmta9JsN9f8IPVeGH1fe1mbjzkvjfg0miP1Rxeg4gL7NB3NELCWpGRmV9tqIPudCuGDMwn410bpgJkjf9fMRFWIs4yV0tlv6di50-nXxOSDzaJoN4kpYJritZWHE8smOvmqcMOyPnRXIp9ZK57o5Ibw4p9fj48gHp-gq5aWe_SWFhBirEz89cydqVgs7qA8anF04jY3UHavcnJU5a69EsznFHUF5CjNGyAm1Y8iXzTF-WgiBNMfFauXfsXAgg5LjuQu0crcguhbFybRhwZLdPrRhF2i3aa1TT77h9nfZsPPIOneHW7e-3knSxnCmoDAeZ_ueQYhqS-hAFivA8l2PNS8_F5CErIKRAgu=w513-h684-no

they both work, the locks work with the keyfob. It looks like to me that I just need new lock cylinders.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what happens is there is a plastic piece and a metal clip on the inside of that slot where the lock cylinder sits, sometimes the clip just pops off and you can just put them back together and sometimes they break the plastic off so you have to replace it (which would require paint for the handle), either way it's about a 20 minute job per door, just take the door panel off and it's 3 10mm nuts and a clip for the rod inside. super easy. $900 is completely ridiculous there just gambling on your lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Flingflanger

Reaction score
I looked up some paint and the oem door handles are available at Rockauto for about $45 each and autopaint depot has paint for $53. It looks like the lock cylinder set is only $89. I suppose a locksmith could key the locks for me and that would be it.

I just have such bad luck with panels and plastic clippy things lol

OP
OP
F

Flingflanger

Reaction score
Did the crook do any damage to your steering column?

Nope, they seem to have ran away before they could do any further harm. My center console was gone through and they looked under the back seat where the prev owner had an amp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645