AGM battery recommended?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some research on these after having 2-3 new AutoCraft Silver batteries from Advance shit the bed on me very quickly. I decided to go with the Duracell AGM from Batteries+Bulbs in both my DSM and Hoe. Time will tell I guess but so far so good. I didn't realize Advance was now pushing the Diehards.
I too bought a Duracell AGM battery. I purchased it in early 2017 from my local Sam's club. It cost me just under $128 out the door which I thought was a great price, especially since every other AGM battery I saw was about $150 or more before any taxes and stuff. I thought it would have lasted more than 5 years, but I just had to buy a new battery last month. But then again, I've NEVER had a battery last longer than 5-6 years at the most. These Louisiana summers are brutal and take a toll on batteries, just like extreme cold can wear out a battery very quickly. I bought a conventional lead acid battery from Interstate battery this time, mainly because Sam's club didn't have any batteries in stock to fit my truck, with no ETA date.

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My man cruising down the highway with 10 load resistors on the roof all glowing red....cherry red. BAHAHAHAHA
The 95 has 80w lows and 100w highs and brand new tyc housings. Never... i repeat NEVER have those light been that awesome before or since. I will say that of i could put 18+v just to the headlights i would lol.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pair of AGMs I had in theothertwin were still going strong at 5 years old when I traded it off.

The pair in thecopcar are 2 years old. I expect similar life from them.

if you dig, you’ll find there are exactly 3 manufacturers of automotive AGM batteries in the USA. East Penn, Johnson Controls, and one more. Everyone else does private labelling.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 95 has 80w lows and 100w highs and brand new tyc housings. Never... i repeat NEVER have those light been that awesome before or since. I will say that of i could put 18+v just to the headlights i would lol.
You could send 18v just to the headlights. You would need a step up transformer and voltage regulator or just a switching power supply that self regulates. Lights probably wont last as long though unless they are LED.

My man trying to see into the future.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an Optima Red Top AGM from NAPA in October 2020 for the Jeep I had.

Not all Optima Red Tops are the same. There are others with lower CCA ratings, which are less expensive.
I wanted high CCA and this one had 800 CCA.

It was only 18 months old when I had to ditch the Jeep and the battery that was coming with the Tahoe looked older, so I swapped them out.

The battery in the Tahoe was also an Optima Red top. It looked a little smaller in dimensions, felt a little lethargic on starts, but was still cranking.

I was shocked when I pulled the old one out of the Tahoe to find a mfg. sticker date of 2009!
I would say that battery owed nothing to anybody!

The Optima I had was a top post, but since I paid $269 for it and was a Group 34 (right size for the Tahoe), I got the top-post adapter clamps and dropped it in.

Extreme hot or extreme cold, this battery cranks over and starts strong under all conditions. VERY happy with it!!
I might not even need another battery before this Tahoe gives up the ghost or I get something else, but I would not hesitate to get another high CCA Optima Red Top again.

3 Year Full Replacement Warranty
1000 Cranking Amps
800 CCA
50 AH

Sitting in the Jeep TJ...
20201023_190415.jpg

With side-post to top-post adapter clamps...
20220619_073918.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019