AGM battery recommended?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was looking around at batteries and prices. Currently, my rig came with a Diehard Platinum AGM battery. Seemed like overkill to me, but whatever… a nice upgrade. In my curiosity search, I looked up what the same battery would be again. And then I stumble upon the Advanced Auto website telling me:

AGM RECOMMENDED: this vehicle is identified as having high electrical loads by a leading researcher.​

Should Denalis have an AGM battery? My truck is all stock.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once bought that same AGM you have. It didn't last any longer than a lead acid and was only cost effective due to applying warranty pro-rate from another purchase. I'm also stock.

Curious to see other opinions.

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some research on these after having 2-3 new AutoCraft Silver batteries from Advance shit the bed on me very quickly. I decided to go with the Duracell AGM from Batteries+Bulbs in both my DSM and Hoe. Time will tell I guess but so far so good. I didn't realize Advance was now pushing the Diehards.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since a lead acid battery died on me out of the blue I went agm about 20+ years ago and it's never happened again , they will weaken over time and at least give you a ride home, 1 developed a short in one of my wife's trucks after about 30 days apparently a defect

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
After installing my Interstate AGM battery and doing the Big 3 at the same time, my charging gauge seems to show the system not working so hard anymore. Not that it did work too hard before, seemed normal gauge readings but now shows slightly lower, even when using the a/c and anything else I choose to use and I did check the system and is functioning normally. So far, never a faulter when cranking engine over.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I tend to prefer AGM... But that's use-case dependent.

AGM is more friendly to lower temps, vibration, and deeper discharges without hosing the battery. They also tend to (but not always) have some lower internal resistance and will charge up quicker for short trips. Fits me better
If none of those apply, then pocket the extra cash and get a traditional flooded battery.

tbh if you really want your battery to last, get an on-board charger from noco or something. Plug the thing in once a week to get it a proper full charge. The chemistry of a lead-acid battery really, really, doesn't like to go in the reverse direction and even at 'full charge' - it takes hours upon hours to fully go to reactants.

Electrical loads is..... Not really specific to anything. Once the vehicle is started, the alternator takes over. Unless you have aftermarket accessories that can exceed alternator output, then that point is moot. Just need to start.

FWIW my current battery is from 2017(I think? Need to check manufacture date) and still operates as intended. Haven't noticed it getting 'weak' yet. Superstart platinum agm from Oreilly's. I did zero market research on the thing, I just needed a battery and that's what they had. I don't buy into Optima's cylindrical nonsense - inefficient packing into a cuboid form factor.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The charging system in the 800s and 900s is not optimized for AGM batteries. They will work just fine but do not last as long as they could.

Advanced Auto may recommend them for these trucks but ACDelco surely does not even though they also sell AGM batteries.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did an Oriellys mid grade battery in mine 2 winters ago and it seems to be fine. Put one in my 95 f150 in 2014 i think and just had to replace it this summer. It probably would have been okay for another year had my alternator not go e supernova and pumped like 19volts into it. At 3 am heading home from work it was highs and lows on fan on high wipers going and radio set to kill to keep the needle from passing the red danger line.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did an Oriellys mid grade battery in mine 2 winters ago and it seems to be fine. Put one in my 95 f150 in 2014 i think and just had to replace it this summer. It probably would have been okay for another year had my alternator not go e supernova and pumped like 19volts into it. At 3 am heading home from work it was highs and lows on fan on high wipers going and radio set to kill to keep the needle from passing the red danger line.
My man cruising down the highway with 10 load resistors on the roof all glowing red....cherry red. BAHAHAHAHA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900