87 octane vs 91 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sickpup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you would be 100% correct, unless you can tune for 87 :) then you should do just as well. but for 35 cents why bother at this point. ive been paying for 93 only for the last 8 years. only difference now is the tank is almost twice the size, the hurt factor is regal takes about $35 to fill from dead E. just a 17 gal tank, hoe took about $60 or so yesterday.

if i could only get e85 here. my regal would love that stuff. tahoe would also love it. but for some dumb reason its not sold here at all.

just a heads up.. A lower octane fuel will generate MoRE power up to the point of detonation/pre ignition which causes the ecu to retard timing. With a 11-1 comp ration on my 5.3, i only run premium. that said im looking to supercharge or run spray so may (not likely) go e85 but that would wreck gas mileage so ill tune out some timing.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a heads up.. A lower octane fuel will generate MoRE power up to the point of detonation/pre ignition which causes the ecu to retard timing. With a 11-1 comp ration on my 5.3, i only run premium. that said im looking to supercharge or run spray so may (not likely) go e85 but that would wreck gas mileage so ill tune out some timing.

you would lower your timing if your getting kr. the kr pulls the timing to save it. so lower timing and no kr will net more power on 87 vs letting it knock away.

hpt's pretty cool, you get kr on the graph you copy it and paste it into the trucks file and it turns down the timing enough to kill it off.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My challenge to you Gary is to run 3 tanks of Exxon-Mobil 93 in your Tahoe and note the difference or lack thereof in mileage. In my experience you'll gain at least 2 mpg and probably more.

James I on the road this week so tried 2 tanks of 93 Exxon-Mobil. I was down to 50 miles left to empty when I tried my first tank of 93. I generally never let the gas get that low. I did not get better mileage but I have zero complaints on the mileage am I getting. I did not notice any more power out my 5.3. A least not that I noticed.

Some people [not you] think there are magic powers when you use 93 octane. I am back to running 87.

I generally use the same octane all the time so the engine does not have to adjust to different octane levels.

All that is just me. To each their own.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James I on the road this week so tried 2 tanks of 93 Exxon-Mobil. I was down to 50 miles left to empty when I tried my first tank of 93. I generally never let the gas get that low. I did not get better mileage but I have zero complaints on the mileage am I getting. I did not notice any more power out my 5.3. A least not that I noticed.

Some people [not you] think there are magic powers when you use 93 octane. I am back to running 87.

I generally use the same octane all the time so the engine does not have to adjust to different octane levels.

All that is just me. To each their own.

Thanks for the update Gary! What is your regular mileage with the Tahoe?

tdriver113

Reaction score
I've been doing a little research online about octane vs CAI vs tune and it seems to me the most benefit comes from a comprehensive approach vs just one at a time.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Gary! What is your regular mileage with the Tahoe?

If traffic keeps moving I get anywhere from 24-25 mpg. I never checked out the mpg on surface streets as it is almost 24/7 gridlock in my neck of the woods and where I am right now in the potholed NYC and North Jersey area. I feel like I am off roading here.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If traffic keeps moving I get anywhere from 24-25 mpg. I never checked out the mpg on surface streets as it is almost 24/7 gridlock in my neck of the woods and where I am right now in the potholed NYC and North Jersey area. I feel like I am off roading here.

Hard to improve on that! You up near River Vale by chance?

Traffic was awful around here today too, my right knee is sore. Dragged my mileage down into the 13s but she's burning E85 right now. Last year a day like this would have drug it into the 9s.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to improve on that! You up near River Vale by chance?

Traffic was awful around here today too, my right knee is sore. Dragged my mileage down into the 13s but she's burning E85 right now. Last year a day like this would have drug it into the 9s.

In the Secaucus,Jersey City,North Bergen and Little Falls area. Also in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn near the Verrazano Bridge.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the Secaucus,Jersey City,North Bergen and Little Falls area. Also in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn near the Verrazano Bridge.

Bay Ridge is where that house is on the tv show Blue Bloods. I used to take family over to Hackensack to visit the USS Ling museum. Up in River Vale is the stern plate from the USS Enterprise (CV-6), the last piece of her next to a little league field and the library.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bay Ridge is where that house is on the tv show Blue Bloods. I used to take family over to Hackensack to visit the USS Ling museum. Up in River Vale is the stern plate from the USS Enterprise (CV-6), the last piece of her next to a little league field and the library.

Small world. I had a house in Teaneck across from Fairleigh Dickerson University off River Road and Route 4. At one time rented a room out to one of the students. I always liked Hackensack. Taxes ran me out but I would rather live in that area then South Florida. I lived in Manhattan for awhile on West 92nd Street. Parking was PITA every night when I got back from work in upstate New York. But I really did like living in Manhattan. Since Teaneck was a easy commute to the city it worked out well for me on weekends. Bay Ridge is okay but would not want live there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denali21