87 octane vs 91 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, that knocking and pinging is why your #4 piston fell apart. It costs more money, not less, to run the lower octane fuels. Run three tanks of each and note the difference in fuel economy.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  • High desert. We have two locations and both qualify as high desert, I believe. As others have said, you've got a high priced vehicle. Not wise to go cheap on its fuel. I not only run 91, but only Top Tier. Not hard to find, just look for it.
I hope you don't plan on scrimping on oil, too! :badidea:
High desert as in apple valley?! Victorville?! Didn’t know there were any other members so close haha

Lalo

Reaction score
I tried running regular in my 2015 Denali you definitely feel the difference only put in premium because of the higher octane , when you use the loweroctane fuel your knock sensors will tell the ECM to retart the timing also your car is also drive by wire so it will protect itself from detention but you won't have the full power of the 6.2 ...which was a selling point for me , I would stick to the premium on the 6.2 ....

OP
OP
Ruby Roo

Ruby Roo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried running regular in my 2015 Denali you definitely feel the difference only put in premium because of the higher octane , when you use the loweroctane fuel your knock sensors will tell the ECM to retart the timing also your car is also drive by wire so it will protect itself from detention but you won't have the full power of the 6.2 ...which was a selling point for me , I would stick to the premium on the 6.2 ....
Thanks Lalo.
The 6.2 was a big selling point for me also. I love the looks I get from people on the freeway when you accelerate past them.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you just bought a newer truck that cost as much as a damn house in some places, you can afford the higher octane. whats anther 8 to 10 bucks a fill up when you likely carry a 1200 a month or more payment already.

if you cant afford this extra 10 bucks a fill up you bought out of your pay scale.

gonatee

Reaction score
What does California not sell
93 octane? Why tf do I still live here lol!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well CA has to many issues to even get started on that.....lol

but states in higher elevations dont need 93 they say, less air density, so they get 91 and no higher.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're only saving about $4 every full up and that's if u fill from empty. even if u fill up every week that's probably less than $20 a month in difference which I hope since you have a basically brand new truck isn't a big deal

I've seen a few of these posts, and I guess depending on where your live, the cost can be that small. However in some cities like the one I live in, if your price difference is roughly $0.70 more for premium and your tank holds 30 gallons, you are talking about a $21 price difference per tank.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider it this way JC:

87 octane is $2.39 a gallon and let's say 26 gallons to fill up. That's $62.14 and 87 in our mythical truck returns 14 mpg for a range of 364 miles. That's $.17 cents a mile.

93 octane is $3.09 a gallon and let's say 26 gallons to fill up. That's $80.34 and 93 in our mythical truck returns 16 mpg for a range of 416 miles. That's $.193 cents a mile.

Not much difference in price when looked at this way, big difference in performance and in the care and feeding of the motor.

It costs me (with a bad cat) about $.24 cents a mile to run 93 and $.19 cents a mile to run E85 on average for both as fuel prices are ever changing.

CMil527

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the gas your using is not correct, your engine will let you know by spark knock or poor performance. If you notice on the pump, their method of determining OCTANE rating is of + or - 2 which is to be considered. Sometimes I wonder just exactly what your paying for, it is what it is. My 5.7 runs fine with the 87 octane with no lag in performance or spark knock. JMHO.
David g............:)

agreed 110% I've never had any issue running 87 in my 5.7 Hemi's!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo