87 octane vs 91 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruby Roo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Yukon XL with the 6.2 L engine. The manual says that premium fuel is recommended. Will running regular unleaded instead of premium unleaded really make that much of a difference in either the performance and/or fuel economy?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a high compression engine in a vehicle that cost somewhere north of $50,000 dollars and want to run crap in it?

In my experience, it costs more to run the cheap gas than it does high test. The engines idle better, run cooler, make more power, get better mileage and burn cleaner leading to little or no fuel system issues years down the road. A high compression engine demands high octane fuel for detonation or spark knock will destroy an engine in short order.

Mr CFP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m not an expert here by any means, however I’m going to use premium in my 18 Denali since it’s recommended. Yes it’s another 30 cents a gl however after spending 70k on it I want it to last a long time and run well. Assuming I run a tank a week on average I’ll spend $7.50 a week or less than $400 a year to protect my purchase. Seems like a no brained in my opinion. I’ll ride my Goldwing in the summer to offset the expense. I figure if I can afford the Denali in the first place I’d better not complain about my fuel cost too much.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some manufacturers say premium is 'recommended' and some say it's 'required' so technically it's up to you but you should run high grade

peddler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If cost is a concern check out Costco/BJ/Sams Club. They only sell 87 and 93. In most cases their 93 is less expensive than the traditional brand name gas companies 91. Just a suggestion.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're only saving about $4 every full up and that's if u fill from empty. even if u fill up every week that's probably less than $20 a month in difference which I hope since you have a basically brand new truck isn't a big deal

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the gas your using is not correct, your engine will let you know by spark knock or poor performance. If you notice on the pump, their method of determining OCTANE rating is of + or - 2 which is to be considered. Sometimes I wonder just exactly what your paying for, it is what it is. My 5.7 runs fine with the 87 octane with no lag in performance or spark knock. JMHO.
David g............:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC