2ML70 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have to pick that up after all, I replaced the safety switch and she still won’t turn over.. then work got in the way also. Getting it towed to Chevy on Tuesday to see if they can flash it to solve the issue, or if I’m just gonna have to replace the whole thing
are you sure it's not the bushing in the shiftier linkage? this will also cause the transmission to show no gear selection you can move the stick but the cable does nothing that means a neutral safety lockout as the shiftier position doesn't match the transmission selection position.. when my shiftier linkage broke(bushing) it had no selection on the screen as well

also check for backed out pins on the J-38125 Terminal

Last edited:
OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
are you sure it's not the bushing in the shiftier linkage? this will also cause the transmission to show no gear selection you can move the stick but the cable does nothing that means a neutral safety lockout as the shiftier position doesn't match the transmission selection position.. when my shiftier linkage broke(bushing) it had no selection on the screen as well

also check for backed out pins on the J-38125 Terminal

The linkage is all good, I did replace the safety switch/range selector inside of the transmission pan and now it knows and shows on the dash what gear is selected. DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE THAT YOU HAVE TO REPROGRAM THE SELECTOR TO TCM? Ran all the codes it’s coming back with no connection to drive motor 1 (the starter also), all fuses and relays are good. Tried remote start for the F*** of it, and it made a small crank, so the drive motor is working to an extent. I just ordered an internal wiring harness replacement, gonna drain her yet again and get that installed and see if I just fouled the plugs somehow without noticing. She’s now on jack stands at home instead of the DIY shop so I can focus on it in my free time rather than when they have openings. Chevy dealership is last resort for me.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what specific code is it throwing for the motor. I might be able to find a trouble shooting list for it.

so it spun the motor over a little, like a half turn? or spun it over but didn't fire?

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
The electric motor in the transmission definitely spun to crank the motor. I also spoke to a mechanic friend and I’m apparently an idiot and installed the safety switch wrong. He told me to put it in reverse and check if the lights come on, they didn’t so I have to open the pan and adjust it to be correct. I started playing with it and I think I broke the new switch since they’re so fragile… but I’m gonna open her up again tonight after work. And adjust to the correct position tomorrow morning and put it back together.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so much fluid in these things. I feel for you pulling the pan so much.

well spinning it over seems like a good start. weird it only did it from the remote start. these things are even more picky about remote start. mine wouldn't start it because the hood popped. I wish you were closer, I'd like to put the tech 2 on it and see what it says is going on.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
so much fluid in these things. I feel for you pulling the pan so much.

well spinning it over seems like a good start. weird it only did it from the remote start. these things are even more picky about remote start. mine wouldn't start it because the hood popped. I wish you were closer, I'd like to put the tech 2 on it and see what it says is going on.
Ahahaha seriously! At this point I’m getting ready to fly you out here just to use the tech 2. I’ll bet the remote start is a shortcut because the position 1 motor is the starter, and gets the signal same time as ECU which is telling the fuel pump to not turn on. Anyways, I’m determined to finish what I started and not get Chevy involved, since they didn’t want to be.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for 300$.the clone tech 2 is probably one of the better things I've spent money. that and access to some shop manual software, I feel more comfortable owning this thing when it breaks haha. I joke that these things should have come with a tech 2 in the glove box.

knock on wood, the hybrid stuff on mine has been good. it's just all the other common failures these Gen trucks have that surprises me a bit. like clock work everything wears out right on time haha.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
for 300$.the clone tech 2 is probably one of the better things I've spent money. that and access to some shop manual software, I feel more comfortable owning this thing when it breaks haha. I joke that these things should have come with a tech 2 in the glove box.

knock on wood, the hybrid stuff on mine has been good. it's just all the other common failures these Gen trucks have that surprises me a bit. like clock work everything wears out right on time haha.
GM engineering department knew what it was doing on this generation, trying to save money for the next recession.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score

GM engineering department knew what it was doing on this generation, trying to save money for the next recession. I’m also annoyed that all gas powered transmissions have the switches on the exterior of the transmission case and hybrid is mounted inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar