Budget rebuild items?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IFF you are looking for more torque/power UNDER 3500RpM
AND are uninterested in revving past 6000RpM
AND are uninterested in peak power past 5400RpM
then I very strongly doubt you'd need to delete VVT.

Limiting it may still be wise.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regular or low-lift?
I didn't ask/specify, but he did say there's only a 5-10hp difference between the two, and since I'm replacing the valve springs anyway I'd do the regular, not the NSR cam.

I was hoping he had some input on the Cam Motion 6.0 stage 2 truck cam, but he said he hadn't tested that one.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't ask/specify, but he did say there's only a 5-10hp difference between the two, and since I'm replacing the valve springs anyway I'd do the regular, not the NSR cam.

I was hoping he had some input on the Cam Motion 6.0 stage 2 truck cam, but he said he hadn't tested that one.

my 2 cents is go with the guys opinion that has direct experience with the cam in the same application you are doing over the internet guy that does lots of dyno runs and saved charts from writing magazines articles.

engine dynos are for comparing tq/hp, it tells you almost nothing about about it's going to be to live with a combo daily driving it around on the street. the runs usually start at a higher rpm than you'll be driving around in at 1/4 throttle.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Only problem I see with the Truck Norris is the 107 LSA. That's gonna make for one choppy idle. If that's your thing, then by all means do it. But I had a slightly less choppy cam in mine for a few months and still hated it.

I note though that their performance charts validate that losing VVT doesn't result in any penalty - at least on that cam. So that's cool. I've seen similar charts for other cams that showed the same thing.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 2 cents is go with the guys opinion that has direct experience with the cam in the same application you are doing over the internet guy that does lots of dyno runs and saved charts from writing magazines articles.

engine dynos are for comparing tq/hp, it tells you almost nothing about about it's going to be to live with a combo daily driving it around on the street. the runs usually start at a higher rpm than you'll be driving around in at 1/4 throttle.
THIS^^^

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I get it, but since he's one of the only people doing back to back cam tests with the same engine I am working with (LY6), it's been one of the few relevant data points.

To be fair he absolutely touches upon your point in many of his videos and livestreams; most people want max HP/TQ numbers, but they don't typically load the dyno that low, aka cruising RPMs (1500-2500), but that you also have to account for the transmission; it will shift as soon as the driver request more power with the right foot.

All that being said, I'm basically down to the Cam Motion cam that @Geotrash recommended or the Truck Norris. I actually stumbled upon Dave's YT video of his cam install when searching for Cam Motion videos on YT. I see what you mean by the chop, and it's subtle but prevalent with the factory exhaust. I don't think I'd mind something in that realm, or a little more pronounced.

I have seen that Texas Speed offers a VVT cam upgrade, and should probably reach out to them to see what that's all about.

The 5.3 to 6.0 is going to give me a upgrade no matter what cam I go with.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low buck truck cam arrived today. The UPS tracking info said it came from BTR, but the label had Richard's name on it.

After watching a ton of his videos and live streams (tons of good info there) I assume he's got a good relationship with Brian Tooley Racing. The specs on it are pretty similar to the actual BTR Truck Norris cam.

He did say the the price on his cams will be going up soon, but I think he still has some available for $169.
kFhhnqp.jpg

I still have a ton of work to do to the block, and parts to buy, but progress is slowly happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar