2ML70 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knagawa350

Reaction score
Hey all! I have an ‘09 Tahoe hybrid, the 2ML70 is slipping the 1-3 clutch and 4th clutch. Chevy is only offering to replace it for 6k and up to a year for the part. All the transmission shops in Portland told me kick rocks and I won’t find the parts. I got this truck a week and a half ago, and I’ll be damned if I just toss that money away. Currently have parts showing up tomorrow from Michigan overnight. SMC performance has OEM original in packaging surplus parts for the 2ML70. I got an inventory list from them, and dug through parts numbers with vague discriptions. However they did have the bulk of necessary parts I was able to verify through GM. The rest I will make sure to check and get a list running on what’s what, when I disassemble. Also (alldata) has a manual online I will be following for this procedure. I’ll post pics for everyone here on this thread, and try and spread any knowledge I have on this subject to those who want/need it.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
much appreciat the build thread.

I know you said you had a shop confirm the slipping, do you know what they looked for? used a scanner or just drove and felt it?

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
Used a scanner and road test both at the Ron Tonkin Chevy dealership in Portland Oregon, code was: P709D? I can confirm and send a photo of the paperwork when I get home tomorrow morning

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh just looked, yep. P079D is 4th gear clutch slip.

incase you haven't seen it floating around. it's posted a few places. there's a good pdf that tells what conditions need to happen for most code to be set

Attachments

• 12OBDG06 Hybrid Diagnostics.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
Awesome! I had not seen this yet, I appreciate it! All the parts will be in by 9pm, I get off work at midnight and I’ll be posting pictures of what they look like in the packaging.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely looking forward to pics.. this tranny is like a Phantom on the net lol.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
Update: transmission is pulled and on the shop table, I had to leave for work so tear down and rebuild will be tomorrow along with install. The service manual is not ideal for steps to removing transmission, ie. front sway bar needed to be removed to remove the front drive propeller and some other finky little things of that sort.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
So caught a snag getting the first electric drive motor out, it takes a specialty tool that is around 1k, so looking into at home shop techniques ie. A chain and some s hooks attached to a motor jack. IMG_0064.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts