4L60e issues after rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tataocb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4L60E / 700R4 Forward Drum Inspection; 3rd Gear Slipping and Failure
I did perform that test and there were no bubbles.

I am now testing it after having rebuilt both input and reverse drums as well as the pump. I stacked both drums along with the pump, flipped the whole assembly over and did an air. Checked through the pump holes, and I can still feel air coming out of the tip of the input shaft.

I also tested 2 other similar assemblies out of 2 other transmissions, and they all seem to blow a little bit of air out of the tip of the input shaft. So I am starting to wonder if it is normal and I just had never noticed it before?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did perform that test and there were no bubbles.

I am now testing it after having rebuilt both input and reverse drums as well as the pump. I stacked both drums along with the pump, flipped the whole assembly over and did an air. Checked through the pump holes, and I can still feel air coming out of the tip of the input shaft.

I also tested 2 other similar assemblies out of 2 other transmissions, and they all seem to blow a little bit of air out of the tip of the input shaft. So I am starting to wonder if it is normal and I just had never noticed it before?
I've never noticed it either but will let you know tomorrow if i can hear/feel some air coming out of the snout when i take apart the 700R4 and wet pressure test the input drum.

OP
OP
T

Tataocb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never noticed it either but will let you know tomorrow if i can hear/feel some air coming out of the snout when i take apart the 700R4 and wet pressure test the input drum.
I decided I would continue with the reassembly since the other 2 drum and pump assemblies had similar results. When I got to the point where I air checked using the test plate there was a bit of air coming through the tip of the input shaft but nowhere near as much as it was before. So I assume the new sealing rings corrected that behavior.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided I would continue with the reassembly since the other 2 drum and pump assemblies had similar results. When I got to the point where I air checked using the test plate there was a bit of air coming through the tip of the input shaft but nowhere near as much as it was before. So I assume the new sealing rings corrected that behavior.
You'll know for sure once it's back in the vehicle...no news is good news in our biz...

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a wet pressure test and air check of a 700R4 drum today (this one had the tcc ball capsule in the snout removed) and there was absolutely no air coming out of the snout of the input shaft. I also checked a 4L60E drum that I threw together with what I had laying around in the shop and air-checked it as well...No air coming out of the snout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar