2ML70 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
man, I gotta apologize. I looked all over just now, and nothing about reseting the trans adapts. I thought forsure if it had it for one obscure hybrid, if would have it for this one too.

hopefully you can cancel your order, or just easily return it. that's a shame, I hate giving bad info.

you may try emailing them and asking if one of their wired scanners have it.
I had it book marked only this far actually, I was awaiting your confirmation Ahahah. I’ll call chevy tomorrow morning and see if they will run it, there is supposed to be a software update available too which should prolong the clutch life. I completely forgot until now that I read an article about them acknowledging the clutches burning out too quickly and lowering the pressure applied. If not I’m sure I can grease the wheel on a mechanic in town to download the newest software and run it for me.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's good. ugh

do you happen to know what year the update was for? mines an 11. I wonder if I need it

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
that's good. ugh

do you happen to know what year the update was for? mines an 11. I wonder if I need it
it was a service bulletin/memo and it was released 2010 if I remember correctly that said it was a free reprogramming of the transmission until 2011 at some point. Are you the original owner? Asking because my roommate has a 2016 Cruze but it looks like a 17 and has some shit from the 14-16 or something which confuses me to no end because he can’t even get the right parts half the time. That being said depending on the point in the fiscal calendar GM is on may mean you could use it too or not. Chevy actually called me back last night at 5:55pm surprisingly enough to tell me they can scan my vin and run the update/adapts reset for everything. Total will be $199.95 (no sales tax in Oregon). But also spoke to a mobile mechanic that has tech2 and GM software updated, and we will negotiate goods and services today.

On a side note, I read on the install sheet that the torque damper (or input shaft) needs to “spin freely”….

My current issue is after the back half of the case was done it “spun freely” but with a solid amount of effort compared to a gas transmission from my experience and research. I thought this is because of the electric motor magnet and coil causing resistance. After installing the front half and 1st drive motor specifically, I gave it a turn and it was exponentially more difficult. The motors are supposed to work opposite of each other to improve ride quality/stability/efficiency. But being an over analyzing and in this case extra careful being, i immediately began self doubt that everything has been done correctly. Ie. I woke up today thinking “did I put the bearing on the main drive in the correct spot for what it should be engaging and the extra motor with reverse actuation is causing the resistance, or am I running two assemblies together that need a bearing?” To my dismay, I’m 95% certain I did it right but do not want to take a 5% risk on something already to be predicted 50/50 so I’ll be opening it back up this morning and taking a look. I spoke to the owner of an all hybrid transmission shop here in Portland and he seems to think I probably did it right because the magnets and coil of a smaller blade unit in a Prius (or other hybrids they work on where part numbers are supported) will not “move freely” by hand especially if they work in reverse of each other, let alone solo.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't blame you for being worried about. I would be too.

I honestly don't know if these motors should spin freely or now, since they are a 3 phase motor. I have no idea if they should do the cogging we used to call it of a fixed magnetic motor.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know of at least 2 owners before me. being a 2011 I have hopes it has been done.

probably worth checking. I need to go down the rabbit hole one weekend and if I can get the clone gm software to work for updates. it sounds like a hassle, but I know I have one I missed doing on my other car too.

gm did weird things like not ending one generation before starting selling the next on a few lines. like you can buy a 1999 tahoe in the old body style right next to the 1999 new body style for the same model year. they did it for a year or 2 of impala too.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
Sorry, been really busy with work and haven’t been able to book time on the lift to put it back in. Probably won’t be able to reinstall for a couple weeks still, I have a catering company, between parties booked and working a deal to be the restaurant portion of a bar here in Portland I haven’t been able to sneak in time when the lift is available. But as soon as I can get the lift booked, I’ll be all over it.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh no worries. I'm just curious.

I know how life gets in the way over everything sometimes haha. good. luck with the restaurant, I've heard that's a ton of work too.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
Alright! Finally got time on the lift this next week to reinstall, Tuesday-Thursday. Hopeful to finish by Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. Between work and the huge ice storm we had last week, I’m excited to be back on this project and out of the house. Updates to follow.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
ahh no worries. I'm just curious.

I know how life gets in the way over everything sometimes haha. good. luck with the restaurant, I've heard that's a ton of work too.
It’s just a lot of organizing in general and following specific state and county standards that sometimes contradict each other of course ahaha. Unlike this project where there are set parameters, restaurants usually have different parameters depending on which regulating group and person you speak to… got lift time Tuesday-Thursday so will update you this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6

Latest posts