2ML70 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
that's cool. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say you're one of the only if not the only one to diy rebuild one of these. I'm pretty sure you've done what a tranny shop couldn't or won't do these days. sourcing the parts didn't seem very easy.

looking forward to you getting it in the truck and what you think.
To be honest I did everything by the manual and with advice from an engineer that specializes in heavy equipment transmissions, but even he said it’s 50/50 that everything went off without a hitch. The only way to get the best percentage of success will be reprogramming the transmission control unit and ECU. I’m hoping to find a tool to borrow to reset both before install Monday, although no electronics were replaced, so it shouldn’t be the worst situation. However I want to ensure that it works and well, I want to reset them and also replace the speed sensor at the same time.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if he means the trans daps reset, or whatever it's called. I have seen them on my clone tech 2. (there's always a map on this board of guys with a tech 2 that if you happen to be close are willing to hook up real quick and help each other out. possibly you're near one? I'm was down south.
I also have a cheaper Bluetooth dongle that very well might have the option. I'll check tonight. it's has a tons of the 2 way tests and stuff. like 65$ off Amazon.

if he means like reflash the module with an updated gm software or something. yeah, dealer for a one time charge might be the quickest and easiest. there's a 100 page thread around here about doing it with the clone gm software and it seems difficult.

fingers crossed for you

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
It doesn’t need to be flashed with new software, just needs to go through a relearn adapts process to know where the clutches are and purge all the air from the system. No sensors or control units were changed so nothing needs to be flashed.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh that's good.

I don't have my yukon with me but I just checked my 2014 volt with the little topdon blue tooth dongle and it shows trans adapts reset option on it. I won't t be able to check the yukon till late tonight to make sure on that if you want me to, but if it has a volt. I'd bet it does, it had a 20$ off coupon when I got it. don't know if it still does and only shows up once, but one day shipping if you need it. does all the hybrid stuff too. seems handy enough to me to keep even thou I have a tech 2 as well.

Screenshot_20240104-142117.png
Screenshot_20240104-142126.png

just a thought if you're in a hurry for cheap and can't borrow one.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
ahh that's good.

I don't have my yukon with me but I just checked my 2014 volt with the little topdon blue tooth dongle and it shows trans adapts reset option on it. I won't t be able to check the yukon till late tonight to make sure on that if you want me to, but if it has a volt. I'd bet it does, it had a 20$ off coupon when I got it. don't know if it still does and only shows up once, but one day shipping if you need it. does all the hybrid stuff too. seems handy enough to me to keep even thou I have a tech 2 as well.

View attachment 417992
View attachment 417994

just a thought if you're in a hurry for cheap and can't borrow one.
Amazing! I’m buying it right now. That is awesome, the manual says thart the car let the transmission warm up then cycle through every gear selection for 3 seconds each 3 times starting from the bottom to clear air bubbles from the clutches, then reset transmission adapt. Then I should be good to go since it supposedly measures clutch sizes and all. It claims it will tell me if something is installed incorrectly…. We’ll see I guess

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's an aux side too. don't know if it says anything about bleeding air out if it. but I believe it runs anytime the key is forward? either way, it's in the scanner app if you wanted to make sure it ran for a bit before starting or doing the adapts.

just a thought

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
there's an aux side too. don't know if it says anything about bleeding air out if it. but I believe it runs anytime the key is forward? either way, it's in the scanner app if you wanted to make sure it ran for a bit before starting or doing the adapts.

just a thought
I was thinking about that, but starting the motor will run the pump applying immediate pressure as the input shaft spins while warming up. I’m thinking start her up, wait for it to warm up all the way which should warm the fluid in the transmission as well before purging, then once warm run the relearn. Once complete shut it down give it 5 minutes to power down the TCM (manual says 1-2 minutes), then start back up and (Hopefully) back out of the garage and drive home.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
makes sense it would do the reset with the engine running not auto stop anyways

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, I gotta apologize. I looked all over just now, and nothing about reseting the trans adapts. I thought forsure if it had it for one obscure hybrid, if would have it for this one too.

hopefully you can cancel your order, or just easily return it. that's a shame, I hate giving bad info.

you may try emailing them and asking if one of their wired scanners have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84