2ML70 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First picture is what the retaining washer is supposed to look like, second one is worn. Sonnax is a parts company that has a sister company in Portland (Transtar) who had the 2ML70 washers on their website. Sonnax also said they had them, but differed me to transtar.
They didn’t have them and after taking measurements, they are close to the same first position planetary assembly in the 2L60e but slightly longer. Conveniently next door was a used transmission shop that also partners with transtar. They happened to get a 2ML70 a couple weeks back and pulled the whole assembly for me. It is also worn pretty bad in spots, but does appear that I will be able to refurbish something out of both sets.

ahh I see. yeah that's definitely pretty hurt looking. I'm in no way a tranny guy, just rebuild lots of manuals in the past. do you think the hard part wear had anything to do with the clutchs going out or just a side effect? like would this worn spacers cause the gears to get eat up at some point?

appreciate the pics, with no good info out there. what you're doing is kinda priceless. man if it wasn't so hard to get the little parts for these things. looks like you're going to get it back together thou.

I sent a fluid sample out from mine to test after my last 2k mile tow, and Blackstone literally said it was the first sample they have ever seen from one of these trannys. looked good to them thou. sadly I didn't send a sample from before the first change when I first got it. I'm sure it was the oem fluid with 130k on it. would have loved to know how much metal wear it had like that. the sample I sent was after I changed it with only about 5k-10k on it. was just a post tow thing incase I saw something bad, I wouldn't plan any long tows again. 155k on it now and fingers crossed.

I'm going to get back to looking for a cheap parts tranny on market place thou just to have laying around if one pops up.

thanks again for updates and pics.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
ahh I see. yeah that's definitely pretty hurt looking. I'm in no way a tranny guy, just rebuild lots of manuals in the past. do you think the hard part wear had anything to do with the clutchs going out or just a side effect? like would this worn spacers cause the gears to get eat up at some point?

appreciate the pics, with no good info out there. what you're doing is kinda priceless. man if it wasn't so hard to get the little parts for these things. looks like you're going to get it back together thou.

I sent a fluid sample out from mine to test after my last 2k mile tow, and Blackstone literally said it was the first sample they have ever seen from one of these trannys. looked good to them thou. sadly I didn't send a sample from before the first change when I first got it. I'm sure it was the oem fluid with 130k on it. would have loved to know how much metal wear it had like that. the sample I sent was after I changed it with only about 5k-10k on it. was just a post tow thing incase I saw something bad, I wouldn't plan any long tows again. 155k on it now and fingers crossed.

I'm going to get back to looking for a cheap parts tranny on market place thou just to have laying around if one pops up.

thanks again for updates and pics.
So mine has 145k on it currently, the spacers on the gears appear to be carbon steel like the gears, while the retaining washers are copper, so there were shavings in the pan but nothing stuck to the drain plug magnet. Which would make sense that they wear at an accelerated rate. None of the gears had pitting or wear noticeable to the naked eye. The pins themselves appear to be steel but not high carbon so they took a small hit compared to washers. I also think that because the hardware had to make up for the clutches for however long is why they got so bad, no telling how long it had been slipping/how it was driven before I bought it. Monday I will get the new 1st gear assembly to take apart. I’ll post more findings as they come.

Side note: What did you tow/ and approximate weight? Just curious. I also wouldn’t want to change transmission fluid

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
car on a trailer to the track and back. 1000 miles each way up and down i10 cruising between 70 and 80 depending. hate that roads lack of maintenance lol.

light car, maybe 3300lbs c6 but heavy trailer, meant more for work stuff than light weight new car trialer. so maybe say 2500lbs? so near the max rating? I don't remember what that is off the top of my head, but less with the 4wd over the 2wd. it pulled nice the whole way. got almost 14mpg, which I thought was a bit low, as it gets a solid 27 highway without the tow but my diesel buddy's say real world that's about all they get on the same type of trip. next time I'll probably run 93 in it thou when towing, these are rated for 87 but the none hybrid 6.2 seems to love 93, so worth a try next time.

even after the good fluid sample results, which are posted up here if you're interested. I did have some of that mushy stuff that seems common to all auto trannys on the mag the first time I chabged it at 135k ish. didn't seem out of the ordinary but was there. no flakes of anything that I saw thou, so that's nice to know.

I ended up down a tranny fluid rabbit hole one night and as it always seems to be, the end is always amsoil. has higher ratings and all the wear and viscosities over the oem gm bottled dexton 6 I used. plus sign up and free. shipping to your door and a price discount. so I ended up at next oil change dumping the fluid again, 2 new filters again and filling it with amsoil before the next planned tow trip to the mountains of NC. that trip fell thru thou, so I haven't went yet go see how it tows in the hills but this year most likely.

I really wish car manufacturers would go back to recommend tranny fluid changes every 50k or so. save a lot of hassle.

funny story, one of our truly **** techs (used to be aircraft avionics guy, loved tracing wiring faults thru airplanes over night lol) in a different city shop I know, picked up a used BMW with one of their zf trannys. good tranny, but BMW officially said it's a zero maintenance fluid tranny. well this guy ran down the official German texted books from ZF and they call out 60k miles changes.

brutal.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
car on a trailer to the track and back. 1000 miles each way up and down i10 cruising between 70 and 80 depending. hate that roads lack of maintenance lol.

light car, maybe 3300lbs c6 but heavy trailer, meant more for work stuff than light weight new car trialer. so maybe say 2500lbs? so near the max rating? I don't remember what that is off the top of my head, but less with the 4wd over the 2wd. it pulled nice the whole way. got almost 14mpg, which I thought was a bit low, as it gets a solid 27 highway without the tow but my diesel buddy's say real world that's about all they get on the same type of trip. next time I'll probably run 93 in it thou when towing, these are rated for 87 but the none hybrid 6.2 seems to love 93, so worth a try next time.

even after the good fluid sample results, which are posted up here if you're interested. I did have some of that mushy stuff that seems common to all auto trannys on the mag the first time I chabged it at 135k ish. didn't seem out of the ordinary but was there. no flakes of anything that I saw thou, so that's nice to know.

I ended up down a tranny fluid rabbit hole one night and as it always seems to be, the end is always amsoil. has higher ratings and all the wear and viscosities over the oem gm bottled dexton 6 I used. plus sign up and free. shipping to your door and a price discount. so I ended up at next oil change dumping the fluid again, 2 new filters again and filling it with amsoil before the next planned tow trip to the mountains of NC. that trip fell thru thou, so I haven't went yet go see how it tows in the hills but this year most likely.

I really wish car manufacturers would go back to recommend tranny fluid changes every 50k or so. save a lot of hassle.

funny story, one of our truly **** techs (used to be aircraft avionics guy, loved tracing wiring faults thru airplanes over night lol) in a different city shop I know, picked up a used BMW with one of their zf trannys. good tranny, but BMW officially said it's a zero maintenance fluid tranny. well this guy ran down the official German texted books from ZF and they call out 60k miles changes.

brutal.
I bought ac Delco dexron six to refill with, just because the 2ML70 was a new technology for its time and came recommended. I definitely coulda/woulda Chose differently after doing more research as well as seeing the internals after tear down. I assumed (I’m the ass) that the hybrid system connectors may have to be redundant with the fluid in case of a leak. However the technology nowadays would of course account for that and be better engineered. I was curious about towing since I have a 16ft Tri-hull and crabbing gear I like to take to the coast, up steep mountain highways. My 89’ F150 with a 6cyl and 5speed has no issues in just rear wheel, but it does track 11mpg towing my boat and trailer there and back on average in peak conditions. During crabbing season (now) you can hit snow up there and then I have to put it in 4x4 to feel better about the weight behind me. I would also be curious about putting in higher octane as you said, especially since it’s a vortec design it’s probably designed to be most similar to the 6.2….

After I get the Tahoe on the road I’m looking to get a track car going (Portland International Raceway is 15 minutes from my house). I’m a big BMW fan (best friends dad growing up was a manager for them and brought home cars for us to drive in high school). I’ve also owned a few and worked on them myself. I’m thinking salvaged M3 and rebuild it. My lady has a 2021 330i with a zf8 and it is super smooth.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*wall of text warning!*

track stuff is addictive but sooo expensive and abusive on everything. I was just about to say I wish I was that close to a track, but then I'm like wait, cota is right up the road. oddly I've never even thought about going there. plus looks like abusive on brakes and tires haha. my buddy got a track day rental for his birthday and said I couldn't miss it. small track in Fl called the firm. but just about 8 cars, all friends and we didn't really have to worry to much about rules.

I drove down that time and back, but man it was ******* everything. I tossed a ac belt that took put the main belt and before I realized it, over heated it to full ecm panic mode. on top of having super high oil temps in just a lap or 2 pushing, like 300deg was easy to hit. over heating was end of the day last session. we had to push it off the track and get a belt on it so I could drive home. it made it, but it wasn't happy. small lifter tick ever since on a cold start if it's been sitting a few weeks between starts. probably bleeds down a lifter, but pre lube it by cranking it a bit, or drive it more often gagaeand it's good. oil sample came back OK ish, so I've sent it haha. did oil cooler mods before the next time.

the very next year one of the other guys that went loved it and rented it again, this time I borrowed a trailer haha. I'm more of a mountain road fun weekend trip kinda car guy. I get to competitive on a track day, just with myself and times. I'd end up with a full blown gutted up race car and even less money. mountains are fun at 60% pace. buddy of mine has a little gti with a ton of handling stuff, it's a nightmare in the mountains to chase on the tight stuff, but so much fun.

there's a guy on another board that has one of these hybrids but it's the pick up truck. he tows almost non stop thru the Canadian mountains it sounds like. I think it will tow you up the coast nicely with a fresh tranny. which reminds me. have you seen the tranny cooler in these things? got like 5/8s lines where a normal auto has 3/8 to a small cooler in the radiator. this has a big front mount cooler, from what I can tell half of it is for the hybrid cooling system. there's an electric pump for that side to keep an eye on too with high mileage and other part is tranny. they seem to run cold all the time. normal around town temp on 100deg days is like 140deg. max I've ever seen is 167deg. either long trips or towing, it must have some kinda thermal stat. because I always read you shouldn't run to cool of fluid Temps, but gm kinda of throws that logic out the window. someday this thing never sees more than 120deg on cool days around town. but of course like everything, the cooler seems to be a discontinued part. one post I've seen a guy had to find a junkyard one. they seem to be reliable, but can they be flushed is what I'm wondering for your rebuild? may want to take a peek at it.

is yours 4wd or 2wd. only odd thing I've noticed is in all the high end suvs like the Denali and Escalade, the normal ones have a all time awd. these seem to have the lower model range 4wd transfer case. not sure why really, just as a guess I'm thinking being able to switch to only 2wd is more efficient for mpg. but on that note, while auto would sound perfect for you towing the boat thru the mountains. there's a bit a disagreement on these boards if it's best to drive it daily in 2wd or if always being in auto is fine. the thinking is auto always has its cluches slightly engaged to keep at the ready for slip and it's wearing out not being used.

I don't know either way really, but my t case fluid came out like black water the first change after I bought it. the truck doesn't feel abused at all either. it's pretty clean for the mileage. so leads me to thinking 2wd till needing auto is the best. I've flushed it twice, since it's only a few qts to get it back looking red again. it seems to work thou.

for the fluid, you can't go wrong with the oem Delco stuff. I think you'll be fine, and probably after the rebuild hassle, if you keep it. probably more likely to change it sooner than 130k anyways.

so as for the engine, I only know what I've read really. but it's a little bit of an oddball there too. the base seems to be close to a ls2 block and Cathedral style intake port heads, but with a higher compression. they then put a hybrid specific cam in it, late exhaust valve closing time, I think it's called or late intake early exhe. I don't remember haha. allows a little bit of fresh air to flow out thru the chamber into the exhaust to clean out the charge better, but needed the higher static compression to compensate, but you still end up with less pumping losses at idle speed, and good mid range, which is said to play well with the tranny tuning and veritable ratios the motors allow for.
if you drive a non hybrid one stock tuning, they are always trying to use the lowest rpm possible for mpg, these let the engine spend a lot more time around 2k rpm where the cam works best at.

the 6.2 used is all aluminum as well, but it's more like the ls3. Rectangle Port heads. my understanding is rec port flows better up top for hp, but the Cathedral port keep the air speed up better at lower engine rpm being more efficient in these trucks.

ls1, ls2, ls6 in the performance side use Cathedral port, ls3, ls9 went rec port. the ls7 is a big offball head. then a bunch of different truck and car rpo codes I don't know, most using cathedral port beside 6.2L ones.

all suff I've read thou, I have no way to back up if any of they actually helps haha

afm stuff, I turned mine off on the highway trip home, it's said to use it even more efficiently with the battery pack on these, but afm failure rate is pretty much 100% unless you bought it day one and changed the oil every 3k miles with the best synthetic out there. if the 1st owner went by the dash oil life, it was closer to 10k mile changes and they all fail about 130-160k. by fail, the lifter gets suck down, horrible tapping sound, dead miss and slowly trashes everything. it's fixable but most shops just replaced engines, not fix stuff. so best to avoid that.

the normal and "correct route" is to change to a cam set. lifters, push rods and timing chain setup for a none afm setup and then have the ecm tuned to turn it off. funny thing is, we don't have a ecm they is really supported by the major tuners. hp tuners software will disable afm in the tune, but that leaves the cam, since we have a funny grind cam, I don't think there's a non afm cam off the shelf, so that would mean running a normal cam, but being you can't tune the VE table in our ecm's. I don't know how a standard cam will run with it.

so basically you drive it till a lifter gets stuck and it starts tapping, replacing the broken parts with new oem stuff, or there's a 3rd option that's kinda cross your fingers and hope this is better than nothing. which is what I did, use hp tuners to disable the afm. if it's never used, the hope is it's less likely to fail, but I've seen posts about them still failing on non hybrid that have been just turned off. so what you do is, make sure the internal oil supply can't make it to the afm lifter release pins, there's a cheap oil passage way block off, and then you cut a gasket out of another area so that even if oil pressure comes back up thru the lifter, it can vent that tiny amount. making sure that lifter is never allowed to go into afm collapsed mode by accident. the hope is it lives a long life as a slightly heavier standard lifter haha. Just about any ls based engine would go 300k miles with just some random maintenance if it wasn't for the afm crap on these gens.

wall of text I know.. just stuff I wish I could have found all in one place when I was researching the truck, not almost 2 years of searching later haha.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
IMG_0099.jpeg Update: I was able to refurbish the front/first planetary assembly with the one pulled from another used 2ML70. Sonnax makes steel single tab retaining washers for another system, I wasn’t able to find any in stock on the west coast and they are a week delivery from order date. I ordered some to measure and see if they are a viable replacement, but I had to get the Tahoe back on the road sooner than that so stuck with the used copper ones. Also cannot find copper new at all, you would havebto buy a used or new full assembly otherwise to my knowledge. Second photo shows the needles going back into planetary gear, they have to be arranged along the inside of the gear, and as it turns out the pinion that Secures everything through the middle of the pins is roughly the diameter of Bic pen. I cut a small piece of the pen off and used it to arrange the pins around with the thrush and retaining washers on top and bottom of the gear and slid it into the assembly housing. It was then very easy to keep everything aligned before pushing the pinion through and moving the piece of pen out. The third photo shows the order top to bottom of how they gears slide into the assembly before being secured with the pinion. (orgive me the lack of spare copper washers have them shown as the worn ones that were left over. I will be finishing the reassembly and sealing the transmission tomorrow. Unfortunately there are no bell housing to case gaskets to be found anywhere I can see, so I’m using the permatec transmission gasket DIY seal. It will take 24 hours to dry the seal, and I will reinstall the earliest I can get a lift after that.

Here is the link to the steel thrust washers, you’ll have to track them down from a vendor of theirs

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpeg
    IMG_0098.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0101.jpeg
    IMG_0101.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
*wall of text warning!*

track stuff is addictive but sooo expensive and abusive on everything. I was just about to say I wish I was that close to a track, but then I'm like wait, cota is right up the road. oddly I've never even thought about going there. plus looks like abusive on brakes and tires haha. my buddy got a track day rental for his birthday and said I couldn't miss it. small track in Fl called the firm. but just about 8 cars, all friends and we didn't really have to worry to much about rules.

I drove down that time and back, but man it was ******* everything. I tossed a ac belt that took put the main belt and before I realized it, over heated it to full ecm panic mode. on top of having super high oil temps in just a lap or 2 pushing, like 300deg was easy to hit. over heating was end of the day last session. we had to push it off the track and get a belt on it so I could drive home. it made it, but it wasn't happy. small lifter tick ever since on a cold start if it's been sitting a few weeks between starts. probably bleeds down a lifter, but pre lube it by cranking it a bit, or drive it more often gagaeand it's good. oil sample came back OK ish, so I've sent it haha. did oil cooler mods before the next time.

the very next year one of the other guys that went loved it and rented it again, this time I borrowed a trailer haha. I'm more of a mountain road fun weekend trip kinda car guy. I get to competitive on a track day, just with myself and times. I'd end up with a full blown gutted up race car and even less money. mountains are fun at 60% pace. buddy of mine has a little gti with a ton of handling stuff, it's a nightmare in the mountains to chase on the tight stuff, but so much fun.

there's a guy on another board that has one of these hybrids but it's the pick up truck. he tows almost non stop thru the Canadian mountains it sounds like. I think it will tow you up the coast nicely with a fresh tranny. which reminds me. have you seen the tranny cooler in these things? got like 5/8s lines where a normal auto has 3/8 to a small cooler in the radiator. this has a big front mount cooler, from what I can tell half of it is for the hybrid cooling system. there's an electric pump for that side to keep an eye on too with high mileage and other part is tranny. they seem to run cold all the time. normal around town temp on 100deg days is like 140deg. max I've ever seen is 167deg. either long trips or towing, it must have some kinda thermal stat. because I always read you shouldn't run to cool of fluid Temps, but gm kinda of throws that logic out the window. someday this thing never sees more than 120deg on cool days around town. but of course like everything, the cooler seems to be a discontinued part. one post I've seen a guy had to find a junkyard one. they seem to be reliable, but can they be flushed is what I'm wondering for your rebuild? may want to take a peek at it.

is yours 4wd or 2wd. only odd thing I've noticed is in all the high end suvs like the Denali and Escalade, the normal ones have a all time awd. these seem to have the lower model range 4wd transfer case. not sure why really, just as a guess I'm thinking being able to switch to only 2wd is more efficient for mpg. but on that note, while auto would sound perfect for you towing the boat thru the mountains. there's a bit a disagreement on these boards if it's best to drive it daily in 2wd or if always being in auto is fine. the thinking is auto always has its cluches slightly engaged to keep at the ready for slip and it's wearing out not being used.

I don't know either way really, but my t case fluid came out like black water the first change after I bought it. the truck doesn't feel abused at all either. it's pretty clean for the mileage. so leads me to thinking 2wd till needing auto is the best. I've flushed it twice, since it's only a few qts to get it back looking red again. it seems to work thou.

for the fluid, you can't go wrong with the oem Delco stuff. I think you'll be fine, and probably after the rebuild hassle, if you keep it. probably more likely to change it sooner than 130k anyways.

so as for the engine, I only know what I've read really. but it's a little bit of an oddball there too. the base seems to be close to a ls2 block and Cathedral style intake port heads, but with a higher compression. they then put a hybrid specific cam in it, late exhaust valve closing time, I think it's called or late intake early exhe. I don't remember haha. allows a little bit of fresh air to flow out thru the chamber into the exhaust to clean out the charge better, but needed the higher static compression to compensate, but you still end up with less pumping losses at idle speed, and good mid range, which is said to play well with the tranny tuning and veritable ratios the motors allow for.
if you drive a non hybrid one stock tuning, they are always trying to use the lowest rpm possible for mpg, these let the engine spend a lot more time around 2k rpm where the cam works best at.

the 6.2 used is all aluminum as well, but it's more like the ls3. Rectangle Port heads. my understanding is rec port flows better up top for hp, but the Cathedral port keep the air speed up better at lower engine rpm being more efficient in these trucks.

ls1, ls2, ls6 in the performance side use Cathedral port, ls3, ls9 went rec port. the ls7 is a big offball head. then a bunch of different truck and car rpo codes I don't know, most using cathedral port beside 6.2L ones.

all suff I've read thou, I have no way to back up if any of they actually helps haha

afm stuff, I turned mine off on the highway trip home, it's said to use it even more efficiently with the battery pack on these, but afm failure rate is pretty much 100% unless you bought it day one and changed the oil every 3k miles with the best synthetic out there. if the 1st owner went by the dash oil life, it was closer to 10k mile changes and they all fail about 130-160k. by fail, the lifter gets suck down, horrible tapping sound, dead miss and slowly trashes everything. it's fixable but most shops just replaced engines, not fix stuff. so best to avoid that.

the normal and "correct route" is to change to a cam set. lifters, push rods and timing chain setup for a none afm setup and then have the ecm tuned to turn it off. funny thing is, we don't have a ecm they is really supported by the major tuners. hp tuners software will disable afm in the tune, but that leaves the cam, since we have a funny grind cam, I don't think there's a non afm cam off the shelf, so that would mean running a normal cam, but being you can't tune the VE table in our ecm's. I don't know how a standard cam will run with it.

so basically you drive it till a lifter gets stuck and it starts tapping, replacing the broken parts with new oem stuff, or there's a 3rd option that's kinda cross your fingers and hope this is better than nothing. which is what I did, use hp tuners to disable the afm. if it's never used, the hope is it's less likely to fail, but I've seen posts about them still failing on non hybrid that have been just turned off. so what you do is, make sure the internal oil supply can't make it to the afm lifter release pins, there's a cheap oil passage way block off, and then you cut a gasket out of another area so that even if oil pressure comes back up thru the lifter, it can vent that tiny amount. making sure that lifter is never allowed to go into afm collapsed mode by accident. the hope is it lives a long life as a slightly heavier standard lifter haha. Just about any ls based engine would go 300k miles with just some random maintenance if it wasn't for the afm crap on these gens.

wall of text I know.. just stuff I wish I could have found all in one place when I was researching the truck, not almost 2 years of searching later haha.
Fair enough! I think I’ll stick to regular oil changes and replace the head if it ever ends ip going that far. Mine Tahoe 4x4 and I plan on only driving in 2wd unless I’m putting it in 4wd. From my experience with other vehicles, when left to make decisions on their own they don’t do what I want or they wear themselves out quickly. I was aware of the trans temp discussion from another thread, after reading the transmission digest article it’s mostly to ensure the electric motors never overheat. Seems to me though I would be most worried about them failing over anything else. Especially since motor 1 is also the starter. To be honest I’m mostly concerned about dropping the 1st drive motor back in over anything this entire project. It was magnetically stuck to the case, and the gaskets are really intense since they stretch. There are also 3 pins on the back side that have to make it back to their respective homes.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 417867 Update: I was able to refurbish the front/first planetary assembly with the one pulled from another used 2ML70. Sonnax makes steel single tab retaining washers for another system, I wasn’t able to find any in stock on the west coast and they are a week delivery from order date. I ordered some to measure and see if they are a viable replacement, but I had to get the Tahoe back on the road sooner than that so stuck with the used copper ones. Also cannot find copper new at all, you would havebto buy a used or new full assembly otherwise to my knowledge. Second photo shows the needles going back into planetary gear, they have to be arranged along the inside of the gear, and as it turns out the pinion that Secures everything through the middle of the pins is roughly the diameter of Bic pen. I cut a small piece of the pen off and used it to arrange the pins around with the thrush and retaining washers on top and bottom of the gear and slid it into the assembly housing. It was then very easy to keep everything aligned before pushing the pinion through and moving the piece of pen out. The third photo shows the order top to bottom of how they gears slide into the assembly before being secured with the pinion. (orgive me the lack of spare copper washers have them shown as the worn ones that were left over. I will be finishing the reassembly and sealing the transmission tomorrow. Unfortunately there are no bell housing to case gaskets to be found anywhere I can see, so I’m using the permatec transmission gasket DIY seal. It will take 24 hours to dry the seal, and I will reinstall the earliest I can get a lift after that.

Here is the link to the steel thrust washers, you’ll have to track them down from a vendor of theirs

such good info and pics.. I hope you can get that front motor back in. being a big magnetic does sound like a nightmare.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
Fair enough! I think I’ll stick to regular oil changes and replace the head if it ever ends ip going that far. Mine Tahoe 4x4 and I plan on only driving in 2wd unless I’m putting it in 4wd. From my experience with other vehicles, when left to make decisions on their own they don’t do what I want or they wear themselves out quickly. I was aware of the trans temp discussion from another thread, after reading the transmission digest article it’s mostly to ensure the electric motors never overheat. Seems to me though I would be most worried about them failing over anything else. Especially since motor 1 is also the starter. To be honest I’m mostly concerned about dropping the 1st drive motor back in over anything this entire project

such good info and pics.. I hope you can get that front motor back in. being a big magnetic does sound like a nightmare

Took a little finesse with the trusty rubber mallet but everything is back where it belongs. Can’t get a lift until Monday and Tuesday to install back in the truck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 5

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's cool. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say you're one of the only if not the only one to diy rebuild one of these. I'm pretty sure you've done what a tranny shop couldn't or won't do these days. sourcing the parts didn't seem very easy.

looking forward to you getting it in the truck and what you think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anas1993