2023 Yukon Denali 6.2L, Dead at 3600 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
How many miles on yours? Also was curious how you managed to get your hands on a 2023, 10 months ago?!

I submitted my order in may 2022 for a 2022 model. I think in October it got flipped to 2023 model. It arrived at our dealer just before January 2023.

I think I’ve come to grips with the fate of my truck. Appreciate all the info here. It’s comforted me a bit to hear the engine swap on mine should be okay. I was initially not very optimistic. But it does feel like I’ll be driving my suburban rental for a few months
I have 18k on mine at the moment. We ordered it in September of 2021 and got it in April of 2022. I just went back and read that I posted (multiple times) that it was a 2023. Apparently, my ability to count has been blinded by rage.
Hopefully they will deliver a new engine for you without too much delay and they will dot all the i's and cross all the t's on the install.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the issue on the motor is not the swap - that’s actually easier now than on some previous generations given how componentized and plug-and-play everything is.

Definitely not the case. These new trucks are significantly more of a pain in the rear to work on than the 800s, 900s, or K2s.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely not the case. These new trucks are significantly more of a pain in the rear to work on than the 800s, 900s, or K2s.
THIS. When I installed the black grill/color matched surrround on our '21 it was quite a pain just popping off the front bumper cover. Tugging and pulling on it and feeling like it was going to break the whole time. Took me a couple hours to get the job done and I consider myself decently competent when it comes to working on cars. In contrast I was chasing a short in the wiring on my '09 silverado this summer and I could have the entire front end removed and put back on it about 30 minutes. That's a simple rig to work on.

There is nothing simple about these new ones and I would be very worried about having mine totally taken apart and put back together by a "professional" at a dealership. It would be one thing if it had 200K on it and needed a new engine, but brand new I'd be pissed and looking for a way out of that rig.

Roll On

Reaction score
I’m surprised that the dealership doesn’t send your engine out to be rebuilt, instead of waiting for a replacement to come in from the factory.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
I used to own a body shop and I know a bunch of people in the industry. I have a friend who is a master tech and this is what he told me. I asked him what he thought about a driveline swap and he said with a helper he could swap a driveline in two days and it would be “no problem”. He said two more days for testing and evaluation. Maybe he’s a liar. Maybe his ego is enormous. I’ve known him for 10 years and I’ve not found him to be that way. I’ll take him at his word.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised that the dealership doesn’t send your engine out to be rebuilt, instead of waiting for a replacement to come in from the factory.
Not with spun main bearing If it's mine I want new engine. If my truck had lifter problem and ruined cam, I would want new engine, but they aren't going to do that.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to own a body shop and I know a bunch of people in the industry. I have a friend who is a master tech and this is what he told me. I asked him what he thought about a driveline swap and he said with a helper he could swap a driveline in two days and it would be “no problem”. He said two more days for testing and evaluation. Maybe he’s a liar. Maybe his ego is enormous. I’ve known him for 10 years and I’ve not found him to be that way. I’ll take him at his word.
I could swap an engine in 5 hours. Its not that bad. Clutch jobs on corvettes took 8 hours from start to finish. If your a competent person you can do it. The first one takes the longest then it's gravy from there.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s a *current* GM tech.
I was looking for specifics. Architecture is pretty similar. The only one that poses more challenges that I have found is the duramax and it's transmission removal. The gas engines are cake.

Working at GM over the years every generation has gotten easier to work on. I used to hate the old stuff.

I guess it depends on the individual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas