2023 Yukon Denali 6.2L, Dead at 3600 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
I have a brand new 23 denali ultimate that’s been in the shop a month. Battery keeps draining. Car alarm goes off, replaced glass w sensor in cargo rear and still problem persists. Onstar alerts say rear hatch lift gate door open as a part of the theft deterrent system. Techs at dealer call gm techs to trobleshoot but no GM tech has been out yet in person to assess the vehicle. Has 403 miles on it. Pathetic and frustrated. Dealer thru a battery at it initially was not the issue. Something in the electronics is draining. Not sure why GM is taking a month to get a tech out. Supervisor at GM says it takes 2 weeks to get a rep out and the dealer is the one who initiates it. Beyond frustrated. I’m in PA
Did they help you organize a rental or reimbursement? That’s miserable - sorry to hear. 403 miles is nothing . How these cars pass through quality control is beyond me .

My question is what’s the cut off for how long your brand new vehicle can be tied up at the shop? GM must have a policy documented somewhere. 2 months? / 6 months? before they offer proper reimbursement or build you a new vehicle ..

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you just rent on your own and await reimbursement? Seems like GM will offer $25 / day. And my auto policy will give us another $31 / day. Not getting a Yukon rental anywhere these days for $56 / day..

This dealer only has 7 loaners and none are currently available
They had a deal with Enterprise Rent A Car and we didn't pay anything if memory serves. They had a stipulation that we were to be given only GM cars but sometimes Enterprise slipped us a Dodge when they weren't looking! That was around 2007-2009.

The dealer in town we used a few months ago to fix accident damage. They also had Enterprise on site and gave us a rental for the duration of the stay through Geico.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a total bummer. Sorry to hear that. Gotta love corporate greed and cost cutting!! I'd let it play out and then start going after things like extended warranty etc. If it gets really ridiculous, then I'd ask GM to take their paperweight back.

I've been a loyal GM guy for 30 years, but what you get nowadays for the exorbitant cost and all the issues makes me want to consider a different brand when the time comes. I hope they monitor sites like this because it's almost laughable at this point how many super expensive rigs have died.

Keep us posted
Same here. Horror stories. Happy that our -08 Tahoe has life left in it.

My friend was a long time repeat Tahoe owner and got a Ford Explorer to downsize. Hugh mistake because the computerized driver aids went haywire and couldn't be fixed so Ford is off his list. He got a Hyundai Palisade and he is very happy and it has been without issue.

stevedonato

Reaction score
Picked up our truck (finally) after a 9 month wait on the custom order -January 9th. 2023 Yukon Denali with 6.2L. Logged some good mileage, really enjoying the vehicle and all it has to offer. 3600 miles later and exactly 1 month to the day on Feb 9th -

Driving home 1 block from my house, engine shuts off, car goes into neutral and that’s it. I rolled up the hill and pulled over to the curb. Both Kids asleep in the back on an 80° day. Battery good. Car wouldn’t turn over at all. First flatbed couldn’t get us because the car was locked in park and didn't want to damage drivetrain. (3pm) Service dept at the local dealer knew no way of manually unlocking the transmission / getting the car out of “park”.

Fast forward six hours later (9pm) via GM roadside assistance, second truck arrives with correct dolly equipment, all four wheels off the ground and away we go. Cars currently sitting at the dealer with no status updates (after 1 full day) other than potential serious internal engine issues.

What bugs me is zero warning lights, zero signs of issues, really zero anything to clue me in that my vehicle is about to fully fail. With all the tech available, I’m just dead in the water on the side of the road with two sleeping kids in back .. luckily my brother in law came to the rescue in his Tesla.

My first GM Vehicle and really a pretty awful experience. Had high hopes for the 6.2L and all of the great tech this Yukon had to offer. More to come here
View attachment 391848View attachment 391849
FYI, Every Lexus and Toyota have a slot on console near shifter where you can put a small screw driver in push down and shifter lever is released. I'm sure GM Must have something similar? The park Lock is a $35 item located near the top of the brake peddle lever. Its electric unplugs with a squeeze. Just FYI

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That sucks.

There are a lot of problems with vehicles made since the pandemic. Some sat outside waiting for chips. And overall quality is down (for all manufacturers). Heck, quality is down for everything - even the food at our favorite restaurant.

It seems since 2015 Yukons have been hit or miss. I am sticking with 2013 or older for now.

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
That sucks.

There are a lot of problems with vehicles made since the pandemic. Some sat outside waiting for chips. And overall quality is down (for all manufacturers). Heck, quality is down for everything - even the food at our favorite restaurant.

It seems since 2015 Yukons have been hit or miss. I am sticking with 2013 or older for now.
Sad but true. I’ve always subscribed to ‘you get what you pay for’. I’m sure this forum is well aware of what this vehicle costs, and I guess that saying no longer applies.

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
Update from the dealer - they’ve ruled out battery or starter issues.

I asked procedurally what they do next and my case manager / svc dept said “just go through codes”. Maybe head down there tomorrow, show my face and see what’s cooking.

My plan was to give them at least a full week to diagnose, I think that is pretty fair. Picking up my rental on Wednesday. Was able to track down a suburban, closest make/model I could secure.

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
Update from the dealership:

“Tech found perform tear down on the engine- remove lower oil pan and discovery metal inside the oil pan. perform inspect on the bottom engine and found rod bearings spun- causing internal premature engine failure.”

Engine blown. They’ll replace the motor. Except the 6.2 L is currently on back order. I’m guessing this truck will be MIA for 6-8 weeks, unless a motor miraculously shows up. Working with my GM case manager to see which other options I have, if any.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update from the dealership:

“Tech found perform tear down on the engine- remove lower oil pan and discovery metal inside the oil pan. perform inspect on the bottom engine and found rod bearings spun- causing internal premature engine failure.”

Engine blown. They’ll replace the motor. Except the 6.2 L is currently on back order. I’m guessing this truck will be MIA for 6-8 weeks, unless a motor miraculously shows up. Working with my GM case manager to see which other options I have, if any.
Sorry to hear you need a new engine. Sounds like it’s time to look k to your states lemon laws and know them from start to finish as that may be you’re only recourse if GM can’t get a new engine for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper