2023 Yukon Denali 6.2L, Dead at 3600 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I met my mechanic, and tbh, service dept at the dealer has treated me very well so far. Good communication and no unnecessary calls / questions. Can’t say the same about GM customer service. Eye roll.

My motors been pulled. I picked up the dealers loaner and parts has told the new motor is en route and could be here by Friday. Here’s my old motor in a heap on the floor ..
Just as I thought might happen Gm wants that motor back to tear down see what caused failure.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I met my mechanic, and tbh, service dept at the dealer has treated me very well so far. Good communication and no unnecessary calls / questions. Can’t say the same about GM customer service. Eye roll.

My motors been pulled. I picked up the dealers loaner and parts has told the new motor is en route and could be here by Friday. Here’s my old motor in a heap on the floor ..
Looking at the size of those ports, takes me back to the old days, when we had big block iron heads to work on. Aluminum heads were rare and cost prohibitive.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the size of those ports, takes me back to the old days, when we had big block iron heads to work on. Aluminum heads were rare and cost prohibitive.
Like this

Attachments

• home 539.JPG
    home 539.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 18
  • home 538.JPG
    home 538.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 17

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the issue on the motor is not the swap - that’s actually easier now than on some previous generations given how componentized and plug-and-play everything is. The issue is that basically every LS engine (and compatible transmission) seems to be on backorder for months. I think best case is that you are looking at months of a free rental followed by a good outcome engine swap.

In my case I’m still waiting on a definitive answer from the dealer as to what the problem is. They will have had it for a week tomorrow so I will call tomorrow evening before close and find out what’s up. I’ll be asking for a rental at that time too unless the answer is “everything is fine, come and get it”. I’ll post back as the situation develops.

To be honest there’s a tiny part of me that hopes it’s something catastrophic so I can just dump the lease and build a GMT-900 Tahoe like a did a few years ago with my GMT-800 Tahoe (build is completely documented on this site - look at my old posts).

I talked to a guy in finance when I was at the dealership earlier in the week and he said to me “honestly - between you and me - we are 9 months behind delivering vehicles and the demand is so high and supply so limited that if you want out of your lease I can guarantee we want your vehicle and would give you cash to buy it out.” So there’s that.

I’m just thinking if I want to buy a 2013/2014 Tahoe and build it out to my spec, amongst many other things I would want a LS376/525 with a 6L80E in it and as I said the wait on those is months. So one way or another the desired solution to the problem would be a slow roll. I got the 2023 specifically to avoid that. But a $50k buy and build on a 2014 vs $100k on the 2023 has a financial attraction all its own. And no, I couldn’t care less about the “image” difference between driving a fully loaded 2023 Denali and a resto-modded 2014. “Image” isn’t a factor.
I feel the same way thought I was being too negative. Bid up an ‘03 3/4 ton burb on BAT last week because it had 27k miles and the 6.0. Didn’t win but I don’t think I am ever going to be “content” with all the tech.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Just circling back for an update here: I heard from the dealer today now that they've had my Yukon for 2 weeks exactly. It has TWO spun bearings. There's no engines in stock so they want to rebuild it. I told them I'm not having a rebuilt engine in a new vehicle - I didn't pay for that. They told me to open a case with GM which I did.

In one week I will hit Maryland Lemon Law requirements - 30 days or more in the shop in the first 15 months. I'm at 11 months now and 21 days in the shop total so far.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score

Look how fresh that block looks...

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just circling back for an update here: I heard from the dealer today now that they've had my Yukon for 2 weeks exactly. It has TWO spun bearings. There's no engines in stock so they want to rebuild it. I told them I'm not having a rebuilt engine in a new vehicle - I didn't pay for that. They told me to open a case with GM which I did.

In one week I will hit Maryland Lemon Law requirements - 30 days or more in the shop in the first 15 months. I'm at 11 months now and 21 days in the shop total so far.
These bottom end issues cropping up (spun main or rod bearings, thrust bearings) are very uncharacteristic of the LS series engines. I wonder what manufacturing or QC changes led to these. There is always a reason.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
These bottom end issues cropping up (spun main or rod bearings, thrust bearings) are very uncharacteristic of the LS series engines. I wonder what manufacturing or QC changes led to these. There is always a reason.
You're exactly right. My guess? Pandemic layoffs and quitters created vacancies in the supply chain that were then filled out of necessity by people with no experience and because of the demand, QC corners were cut resulting in mass defects. I think 50% of anything made during the pandemic is questionable at this point. Give it time for the data to come out across all manufacturing areas, but wait and see, the data will eventually show a HUGE increase in defects.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be interesting to know the manufacture date of the engines in question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65