2016 Burb - New Built 6L80 and Circle D Converter going In Soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

usaf27

Reaction score
I just got ahold of Black Bear. Waiting to hear back from Justin who I think is the Tuner, in regards to my issues. I want make sure 110% a tune will fix this.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions
So where do you buy your 6L80 torque converters? :)
I have my local torque converter rebuild them...He does a few upgrades to his stock level builds which address all the shortcomings w/the factory converters. Unfortunately, he doesn't ship those out anymore as it's been a mess getting folks to ship cores back.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had my 6L80 rebuilt to withstand my future procharger. The shop that built mine says that the torque converter slip has to be zero'd out and that lockup should be limited to 4-5-6 gear. They installed a triple disc converter and he wouldn't let me leave the shop without verifying that the TCM was properly tuned for the converter. Since I had a Blackbear tune even before my original trans blew up, I was pretty much good to go. I believe my stall is 2600-2800 and it drives completely normal, until I mash the gas pedal down!!

OP
OP
U

usaf27

Reaction score
I recently had my 6L80 rebuilt to withstand my future procharger. The shop that built mine says that the torque converter slip has to be zero'd out and that lockup should be limited to 4-5-6 gear. They installed a triple disc converter and he wouldn't let me leave the shop without verifying that the TCM was properly tuned for the converter. Since I had a Blackbear tune even before my original trans blew up, I was pretty much good to go. I believe my stall is 2600-2800 and it drives completely normal, until I mash the gas pedal down!!
Thanks for the insights. Was your original trans all stock with a BB tune?

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insights. Was your original trans all stock with a BB tune?
Yeah it was the original trans, and it had been tuned by Blackbear. It lasted 180k, and I also had a circle d converter in the original trans, just a higher stall with that one. Unfortunately I couldn't reuse the circle d because the transmission pump blew up.

OP
OP
U

usaf27

Reaction score
Yeah it was the original trans, and it had been tuned by Blackbear. It lasted 180k, and I also had a circle d converter in the original trans, just a higher stall with that one. Unfortunately I couldn't reuse the circle d because the transmission pump blew up.
@mikeyss
That’s unfortunate. Did you happen to ever run that Circle D converter without a Black bear tune? If so, I’m curious if you had the same issue in having with the a slight shudder and converter not locking up when it should.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum