6L80 Sonnax ZIP Kit, Pressure Switch rebuild, remote filter install, and fluid flush in 2013 Escalade ESV (Pic heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Seth, got a six month update for us? Was it worth it? Would you do anything different in hindsight?
Hello swathdiver!

Update is: all is good in 6L80-land. I am very happy with the work I did. I have peace of mind in that the fluid is flushed and fresh, the ZIP kit has addressed several known wear issues, the pressure switches are rebuilt, and the BlackBear Tune had made it that much better.
I cut the remote hydraulic filter apart some time ago, and found absolutely ZERO metal or debris in it.
The transmission just does its job. It runs cool, shifts firm and quick, and is trouble free.

Thinking about it, I would have gotten the Tech 2 first, then done the work. That would have saved me the hassle and embarrassment of having to go to the transmission shop and not understand how long it would take.
Other than that, nope, I would not have done anything differently.

Now...this is my results, on my transmission. Mine only had 12*,*** miles on it, fluid looked OK, and unit shifted fine. Meaning I don't think it had any issues. I don't know how all this would work on a higher mileage unit that may or may not have issues.
Though, couldn't hurt.

Reaction score
Hello swathdiver!

Update is: all is good in 6L80-land. I am very happy with the work I did. I have peace of mind in that the fluid is flushed and fresh, the ZIP kit has addressed several known wear issues, the pressure switches are rebuilt, and the BlackBear Tune had made it that much better.
I cut the remote hydraulic filter apart some time ago, and found absolutely ZERO metal or debris in it.
The transmission just does its job. It runs cool, shifts firm and quick, and is trouble free.

Thinking about it, I would have gotten the Tech 2 first, then done the work. That would have saved me the hassle and embarrassment of having to go to the transmission shop and not understand how long it would take.

Now...this is my results, on my transmission. Mine only had 12*,*** miles on it, fluid looked OK, and unit shifted fine. Meaning I don't think it had any issues. I don't know how all this would work on a higher mileage unit that may or may not have issues.
Though, couldn't hurt.
Nice work! I use Sonnax Zip and Surecure kits across a variety of transmissions including the 6L80/90 and they always work well.

Let me know if you ever need to pull it down and open it up for an overhaul…Ill help out where I can.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello swathdiver!

Though, couldn't hurt.
Awesome thanks!

Totally forgot about this when we dropped the pan on the Yukon recently. Still need to do it on the other two trucks.

Reaction score
@skpyle......I'm only halfway through page 3 and I felt like I should stop and tell you that I love you man!

As soon as(or if I ever) finish this 14 bolt axle swap I'm about 60% of the way through, I'm going to address my TCC lockup failure issues with a new TC, a combo of Sonnax and TransGO upgrades, and the HP Tuner software I just spent a fortune on(and I'm going to pray there's minimal damage to my pump and internals). It'll probably be a month from now before I start this and I'm already getting anxiety thinking about learning what you have so exquisitely displayed in just pages 1-2-3! Thank you sir

edit: Finished. IMHO, this is a textbook example of what these forums are here for. I was so excited to read this that I didn't even notice it was 18mos old until I stopped to send the first half of this message :D

For the last couple months I've been exchanging emails about life with a guy who has an automotive repair channel on Utube. It all started because I took 5min to type him an email to basically say "atta boy, keep up the good work" after watching one of his videos in which he shares some knowledge about something he's figured out on his own, that a big CORPoration has known for years and kept it a secret, to themselves, for the purpose of financial gain. I personally began this practice a couple years ago. It's nothing to me to spend 30-45 min on the phone with a total stranger to talk them through a minor repair or reset of something I could've driven over there and made $2-300 for in 30min.

Why? Three reasons really: 1. it feels like the right thing to do 2. it's about sharing knowledge that I've been blessed with, with someone who hasn't been as fortunate 3. and maybe most importantly because it empowers others immeasurably! It boosts self esteem and boosts confidence in someone's ability to handle the roller coaster of life. Most importantly it makes them less dependent on others, it empowers them; while at the same time takes a little power away from those who might've kept this knowledge to themselves for the purpose of personal gain.

This thread is a textbook example of empowering others. lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll >fell asleep with finger on the l button< Passed time. THanks again

Last edited:
OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am glad you all like this! That was part of my point: be an example to others. Maybe good, maybe not. See what I did, see the mistakes I made. See the little nuances and tricks I figured out.

I had been planning more upgrades and have bought a bunch of parts:
-bell housing
-pump kit
-complete seal kit
-Raybestos High Energy clutch frictions
-valve body plate kit
-speed sensors
-Transtar 1-2-3-4 front drum
-Sonnax piston for front drum
-engine rear main seal and plate

My intent was to pull the trans, replace the bellhousing, rebuild the pump, new torque converter, new front drum with frictions. put it back together, and go.
However...that is only a few steps from a full rebuild.
This 6L80 runs great right now. The fluid is clean and clear, with no metal in the filter. My driving style is not abusive(we'll ignore the 110MPH blasts on the highway to work...) and is mostly highway miles. I will leave the transmission as is for now. If it starts to go south, it will get a full rebuild and bomb-proof.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work! I use Sonnax Zip and Surecure kits across a variety of transmissions including the 6L80/90 and they always work well.

Let me know if you ever need to pull it down and open it up for an overhaul…Ill help out where I can.

Thank you NickTransmissions! I very much appreciate your offer. Please see post #77. I have changed my plans. When the time comes to pull and overhaul my 6L80, I will reach out to you.
Sorry I missed your reply the first time.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Soooo...back in post #34, I mentioned that there were O-rings I didn't use in the shift solenoid filter screen kit. Because I didn't know what they were for. Now I know. I was watching a youtube video from Precision Transmission on teardown of a 6L90E. Those O-rings are for the black plastic sleeve that the TECHM electrical plug interfaces with the external transmission wiring harness.

View attachment 356261
Note O-rings in the bag in the red circle.

View attachment 356262
Note plastic sleeve circled in red.

Next time I drop the pan, I will replace the O-rings on this sleeve.
I replaced this sleeve twice and it’s still leaking from the connector. I have a new TECHM installed as well. At this point I’m tired of dropping the pan to address the sleeve. Plus the pins aren’t loose.