2016 Burb - New Built 6L80 and Circle D Converter going In Soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

usaf27

Reaction score
Well the test driving didn’t go as planned. I put on about 50 miles of testing. It appears the converter is having an issue. It acts like it doesn’t want to stay locked up. It has shuddering and what feels like slight slippage. This occurs in all the gears and at any speed. I will be ripping it back out and returning the Circle D converter. Most likely finding another brand of converter too. This will set me back another couple of weeks.

OP
OP
U

usaf27

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Circle D. They said the problem is with the TCM tune. They mentioned the TC needs more PSI than what a stock converter requires. Does that make sense to anybody?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Circle D. They said the problem is with the TCM tune. They mentioned the TC needs more PSI than what a stock converter requires. Does that make sense to anybody?
Hmmm...Was that mentioned in their literature or whatever paperwork came with the converter?

I'd look at having a tune done in general for the trans and see if the line charge to the converter can be increased but I'd prob want to know why the stock charge is insufficient (ie what about their converter construction, parts etc requires a tune for proper function).

OP
OP
U

usaf27

Reaction score
Hmmm...Was that mentioned in their literature or whatever paperwork came with the converter?

I'd look at having a tune done in general for the trans and see if the line charge to the converter can be increased but I'd prob want to know why the stock charge is insufficient (ie what about their converter construction, parts etc requires a tune for proper function).
I did not see any anything in their literature about needing a tune.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not see any anything in their literature about needing a tune.
Id get some more details/context from Circle D...It may also be worth consulting @BlackBearPerf about purchasing a comprehensive tune for the transmission...There's a few things mechanically that can be done to improve shift feel/quality but most of that is cared for via a powertrain tune. I admit that I'm largely clueless when it comes to the tuning / programming side of the house for transmissions as I let SMEs in that space handle things...

OP
OP
U

usaf27

Reaction score
Makes sense.
Just sucks because I have already spent money for a Diablew tune. I dont think Lew can adjust (waiting email confirmation) the needed parameters to fix this.
So now I need to decide if I want to invest in HP tuners or rip out the Circle D and go with a more factory like Converter.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id get some more details/context from Circle D...It may also be worth consulting @BlackBearPerf about purchasing a comprehensive tune for the transmission...There's a few things mechanically that can be done to improve shift feel/quality but most of that is cared for via a powertrain tune. I admit that I'm largely clueless when it comes to the tuning / programming side of the house for transmissions as I let SMEs in that space handle things...
We appreciate that. We would be happy to go over the benefits of tuning the transmission and more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog