6L80 Transmission Rebuild - No Movement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to eBay page I ordered, can't find a part number but it is for a type 2.

Transgo is referring to the valve body design. There are two different/distinct valve body castings for the 6L80 that are not interchangeable. As far as spacer plates are concerned, GM had at least four different variants however only three are really relevant to anything newer than 2006...The first design spacer plate was phased out for 2007 to coincide with changes to the VB that address chronic P0751 codes associated with clutch select valve springs in the lower valve body for those years (some models received a variation on this design starting in 2008)....There was a second design plate intro'd in 2010 to coincide with the introduction of the 2nd design valve body casting and then the plate changed in 2014 to support the addition of the 8th check ball.

All of this extraneous trivia aside, the Transgo plate is almost certainly NOT the source of your problems; in fact, in looking at it, the Transgo plate was designed specifically to service both vintages within the 2010+ timeframe (7 CB configs and 8 CB configs).

Let us know what happens once the fast adapt is performed successfully...Hopefully that will solve all the current problems but if not, it's back to trouble shooting and fixing...

OP
OP
Z

zbhsmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Transgo is referring to the valve body design. There are two different/distinct valve body castings for the 6L80 that are not interchangeable. As far as spacer plates are concerned, GM had at least four different variants however only three are really relevant to anything newer than 2006...The first design spacer plate was phased out for 2007 to coincide with changes to the VB that address chronic P0751 codes associated with clutch select valve springs in the lower valve body for those years (some models received a variation on this design starting in 2008)....There was a second design plate intro'd in 2010 to coincide with the introduction of the 2nd design valve body casting and then the plate changed in 2014 to support the addition of the 8th check ball.

All of this extraneous trivia aside, the Transgo plate is almost certainly NOT the source of your problems; in fact, in looking at it, the Transgo plate was designed specifically to service both vintages within the 2010+ timeframe (7 CB configs and 8 CB configs).

Let us know what happens once the fast adapt is performed successfully...Hopefully that will solve all the current problems but if not, it's back to trouble shooting and fixing...
Ok so I got a new scanner in today. It is the vxdiag with GDS2 on my laptop. So when I got to the trans module there is no option for fast adapt learn. The only option is the transmission adaptive pressure reset and when I hit that it goes to a screen that just says hit reset. From what Ive looked up this is not the correct reset. Ive attached pictures to help. 20231119_212802.jpg

Attachments

• 20231119_212830.jpg
    20231119_212830.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 2

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got a new scanner in today. It is the vxdiag with GDS2 on my laptop. So when I got to the trans module there is no option for fast adapt learn. The only option is the transmission adaptive pressure reset and when I hit that it goes to a screen that just says hit reset. From what Ive looked up this is not the correct reset. Ive attached pictures to help. View attachment 414632
Sorry, I cant help with that - perhaps @swathdiver or @Geotrash or @Doubeleive have some exp with that software (I use SnapOn scan tools which all have adapt-reset functionality).

There may also be a tech support line that you could call tomorrow and get some help. I would think adapt reset would be incorporated into the diag package but maybe it requires a programming subscription? Yea agree - dont use that function if not entirely sure it's correct for what you're trying to do...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got a new scanner in today. It is the vxdiag with GDS2 on my laptop. So when I got to the trans module there is no option for fast adapt learn. The only option is the transmission adaptive pressure reset and when I hit that it goes to a screen that just says hit reset. From what Ive looked up this is not the correct reset. Ive attached pictures to help. View attachment 414632
How to Adapt Your TransmissionTransmission adapts can be reset and relearned on most vehicles through GDS 2 by using the TransmissionAdaptive Values Learn procedure. This procedure is completed in the service stall and no vehicle driving is required.To complete the Transmission Adaptive Values Learn procedure enter GDS 2 Diagnosis and
navigate to:–
Module diagnostics–
Transmission Control Module–
Configuration / Reset Function–
Transmission Adaptive Values Learn

OP
OP
Z

zbhsmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How to Adapt Your TransmissionTransmission adapts can be reset and relearned on most vehicles through GDS 2 by using the TransmissionAdaptive Values Learn procedure. This procedure is completed in the service stall and no vehicle driving is required.To complete the Transmission Adaptive Values Learn procedure enter GDS 2 Diagnosis and
navigate to:–
Module diagnostics–
Transmission Control Module–
Configuration / Reset Function–
Transmission Adaptive Values Learn
I did navigate this page and under the configuration/reset function page the only option is to reset adaptive pressure. The adaptive value learn is not an option. I can make a video tomorrow but from everything ive gather this GDS2 would be what the dealer would use

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did navigate this page and under the configuration/reset function page the only option is to reset adaptive pressure. The adaptive value learn is not an option. I can make a video tomorrow but from everything ive gather this GDS2 would be what the dealer would use
are you doing it with the engine running and transmission temp at 160 or above?
not sure how applicable this is but might be helpful

OP
OP
Z

zbhsmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
are you doing it with the engine running and transmission temp at 160 or above?
not sure how applicable this is but might be helpful
Yes, I did wait till the trans was up to temp, what I am showing is the option to do the service Fast Learn procedure is not even there as an option with this scan tool. Do anyone know if the VXdiag scan tool with GDS2 is capable of doing this service. I have ordered a Autel unit that will be here Friday hopefully. It claims to be capable of doing the service fast learn. I guess my next option after that is to tow it to a dealer.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did wait till the trans was up to temp, what I am showing is the option to do the service Fast Learn procedure is not even there as an option with this scan tool. Do anyone know if the VXdiag scan tool with GDS2 is capable of doing this service. I have ordered a Autel unit that will be here Friday hopefully. It claims to be capable of doing the service fast learn. I guess my next option after that is to tow it to a dealer.
I have the vx as well but haven't really explored trying to relearn the transmission and I am in the hospital at the moment so can't even look at mine to see if I get the result

OP
OP
Z

zbhsmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, I cant help with that - perhaps @swathdiver or @Geotrash or @Doubeleive have some exp with that software (I use SnapOn scan tools which all have adapt-reset functionality).

There may also be a tech support line that you could call tomorrow and get some help. I would think adapt reset would be incorporated into the diag package but maybe it requires a programming subscription? Yea agree - dont use that function if not entirely sure it's correct for what you're trying to do...
Ok so I purchased a autel unit that was supposed to give me the special functions but it is still not an option. So I have another gm vehicle with a 6l80 trans. It's a 2010 Silverado and when I hook this new scan tool up to it, I get the special function to reset trans adaptation. So with this info, I ended up having to move the vehicle from its location in the drive way. Since the transmission of the Tahoe will go into reverse that's what I did was back it up in the drive way. My drive way is on a incline so I can easily put it in neutral and roll it back down to the position I was working on it. While doing this the trans finally threw a code. It's P0722, which is the output speed sensor. Would this be causing all my issues? I know the sensor is hooked up but maybe it went bad.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. This won’t cause all of your other issues. You NEED to perform the relearn procedure before doing anything. It’s a two part procedure. After that, scan again for codes.

Additionally, after having driven for a couple days then scan again for codes if things have not evened out properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts