Circle D 300mm Triple Disk vs CVC BU60FHD for the 6L80 in my 2013 Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am gathering parts to replace the torque converter in the 6L80 for my 2013 Escalade ESV. I have been researching here on TYF and on the internet about 6L80/90 torque converters. I have it narrowed down to the following choices:

Circle D 300mm Pro Series Triple Disk, 1800-2000rpm stall
https://www.circledspecialties.com/gm-300mm-pro-series-6l80-triple-disk-torque-converter

CVC BU60FHD with stock stall
http://read.uberflip.com/i/1376224-cvc-catalog-2021/129?

I am waffling back and forth between the two. The Circle D is bad-a$$, but I am wondering if it is overkill. The CVC has an HD billet one piece front cover, and is considered an excellent replacement for the stock converter. The Circle D is almost $400 more than the CVC. I am not adverse to paying more, but do I really need it? That $400 could go a long way towards a new bellhousing and front pump...
I have seen posts were some of you are running the Circle D and some are running the CVC. All parties seem to love their choices.

My driving style with my Escalade is street/highway driving. I don't tow. Or, if I do, it is a small single axle trailer with a garden tractor on it. I am, however, a leadfoot. I have a 400hp 6.2L and like to use it.

So...offer me some advice on these two torque converters, please.

Thanks!

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need a triple disc lock up clutch unless you are towing heavy quite often.
You don't need a triple disc lock up clutch unless you are racing and need to lock it up
at full throttle to improve your 1/4 mile time and mph.
Also a triple disc "can" go into lock up quite harshly.
For your driving a single disc lockup is best. You would probably enjoy
the extra stall speed of the circle D.. But unnecessary for a stock engine set up.
The main reason to go aftermarket in a stock ish setup is to upgrade the weak OEM
lock up clutch in the converter as they tend to "explode" once some mileage has accumulated

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add: the stock stall is approx 1600-1700 . I put in an 1800 stall and it was awesome until I went with a bigger cam..
Now I would like a 2000-2100 stall. But the 1800 is Fine til have a reason to
pull the motor or the trans

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am gathering parts to replace the torque converter in the 6L80 for my 2013 Escalade ESV. I have been researching here on TYF and on the internet about 6L80/90 torque converters. I have it narrowed down to the following choices:

Circle D 300mm Pro Series Triple Disk, 1800-2000rpm stall
https://www.circledspecialties.com/gm-300mm-pro-series-6l80-triple-disk-torque-converter

CVC BU60FHD with stock stall
http://read.uberflip.com/i/1376224-cvc-catalog-2021/129?

I am waffling back and forth between the two. The Circle D is bad-a$$, but I am wondering if it is overkill. The CVC has an HD billet one piece front cover, and is considered an excellent replacement for the stock converter. The Circle D is almost $400 more than the CVC. I am not adverse to paying more, but do I really need it? That $400 could go a long way towards a new bellhousing and front pump...
I have seen posts were some of you are running the Circle D and some are running the CVC. All parties seem to love their choices.

My driving style with my Escalade is street/highway driving. I don't tow. Or, if I do, it is a small single axle trailer with a garden tractor on it. I am, however, a leadfoot. I have a 400hp 6.2L and like to use it.

So...offer me some advice on these two torque converters, please.

Thanks!
I have the CVC unit in my 2012 and it’s been great for my needs with towing heavy often. Factory stall and I have a larger than stock cam but it has a smooth idle so no problems. It was recommended to me by a local indy transmission shop owner I trust.

The lockup clutch is robust and it’s also the same unit he installs in the 6L90 in HD trucks.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow this 08 EXT whipple build. There’s going to be a few upgrades to the drivetrain. He hasn’t hinted what’s cooking for the trans yet but keep your eyes peeled on the upgrades.

Thanks for that link! I checked it out. The supercharger is a bit beyond my scope, but I like his thinking on the big brakes. We shall see what he does for the transmission. I already have the Sonnax ZIP kit, a Black Bear Tune, and will be replacing a few internal things while I have the 6L80 out to replace the torque converter.

You don't need a triple disc lock up clutch unless you are towing heavy quite often.
You don't need a triple disc lock up clutch unless you are racing and need to lock it up
at full throttle to improve your 1/4 mile time and mph.
Also a triple disc "can" go into lock up quite harshly.
For your driving a single disc lockup is best. You would probably enjoy
the extra stall speed of the circle D.. But unnecessary for a stock engine set up.
The main reason to go aftermarket in a stock ish setup is to upgrade the weak OEM
lock up clutch in the converter as they tend to "explode" once some mileage has accumulated

Just to add: the stock stall is approx 1600-1700 . I put in an 1800 stall and it was awesome until I went with a bigger cam..
Now I would like a 2000-2100 stall. But the 1800 is Fine til have a reason to
pull the motor or the trans

Thank you very much for that information! That is what I am looking for. I have mentioned my driving style and intentions for my Escalade. As well, I have no intentions of doing any engine mods. Stock stall speed will be just fine for me. The weak TCC in the stock torque converter is the sole reason why I am doing all this. I do not ever want to see metal in the remote filter or pan for my 6L80.

I have the CVC unit in my 2012 and it’s been great for my needs with towing heavy often. Factory stall and I have a larger than stock cam but it has a smooth idle so no problems. It was recommended to me by a local indy transmission shop owner I trust.

The lockup clutch is robust and it’s also the same unit he installs in the 6L90 in HD trucks.

Thank you! I appreciate your real world experience.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the CVC converter and zip kit in my 13 because it felt “odd” compared to my 08 and the 12 Denali we sold for the 13 and I couldn’t tell that I had done anything at all to it. I was nervous to drive it on vacation last week but my SWB wasn’t going to fly and we made it there and back but I’m pretty convinced there’s something wrong, maybe it isn’t the transmission but I think it is. I noticed a vibration/shudder 1400-1600 RPM in first gear while stuck in traffic and I swear I felt some shudder occasionally while cruising but it could have been the tires/road. These are usually symptoms of converter failure but it has maybe 3k miles on it.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not saying the converter is bad, since apparently, a bunch of people here have them, but that’s what I’ve got going on. This truck was such a bad buy I wouldn’t be surprised if the transmission has a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter