2008 Denali XL 6.2L Low Oil Pressure - Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread.
Really sounds like what my 2013 Tahoe needs.
Except my Tahoe has a 5.3 engine , I guess the fix is about the same?
Yes and no.....5.3 does have same issue but there are variables and to absolutely say thats your problem isn’t 100% correct so before tearing your lower half apart.... You gauge can be off, sender bad, screen behind sender can be clogged. Some other things to ask.....Whats your oil pressure currently? At cold start idle and running down the road? What oil you running? Filter? How long are your oci’s?

Baddawg

Reaction score

Thanks, Pete.
My issue looks like the original post here, not quite as bad, my warm oil pressure at idle stays above 20#.
I hadn't heard about the pressure sensor and screen issue and I will look into that.
I like the add two quarts and see what happens to the oil pressure to test for pick up O ring.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Thanks, Pete.
My issue looks like the original post here, not quite as bad, my warm oil pressure at idle stays above 20#.
I hadn't heard about the pressure sensor and screen issue and I will look into that.
I like the add two quarts and see what happens to the oil pressure to test for pick up O ring.

That's a pretty good test... just don't drive it like that. The crankshaft will whip the oil into a frothy mess and you will be pumping oil and air.

Oil is a good lubricant, air.... not so much.

Baddawg

Reaction score
That's a pretty good test... just don't drive it like that. The crankshaft will whip the oil into a frothy mess and you will be pumping oil and air.

Oil is a good lubricant, air.... not so much.

Right, run it at idle, OK.
Maybe move it around some at low speed, low RPM, low load , sorta OK, not to bad .
Take it out on the hiway and drop the hammer, pretty bad idea.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good write up on the repair. One thing I found when replacing oil pan gasket is you do not have to totally remove the front diff. If you remove the lower shock bolt that is under the axle shaft, then the diff bolts, it allows the axle shafts to drop down further thus allowing the diff to drop a few inches lower.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a example of what I mean. See how the lower shock bolt is in the way if there was a axle shaft above it?

07Tahoe23_big21.jpg

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome write up. Very likely this is my issue as well as my oil pressure in my denali is looking identical to yours in the first pics (below 20# at warm idle, a little above 40# at cold idle).

I have replaced my oil pan gasket before as I was leaking oil out of the factory gasket, wish I had replaced this too while I already had it off...

From my experience you do not need to remove the differential to get the pan out, like mykeyss said. You can just unbolt it and let it drop down a few inches and the pan can slid in and out fine. That's what I did. Saves you a lot of time and effort for sure.

Last edited:

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread.
Really sounds like what my 2013 Tahoe needs.
Except my Tahoe has a 5.3 engine , I guess the fix is about the same?

Same fix with the 5.3 - I did it on my '14 PPV with that motor. Truck's RWD so it went a lot quicker due to not having a front differential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700