2008 Denali XL 6.2L Low Oil Pressure - Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s this part do and where does it install?

..........‘This little oil deflector mounts to the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pan of GMC 5.3 motors. When the filter screen for the valve lifter manifold plugs up, the pressure relief valve sprays the bottom of the pistons until the oil rings stick and the engine starts burning oil. The first warning is a low oil pressure light/ message. If you don't catch it in time, the engine can seize. The first two years of this 5.3 engine, a poor assembly procedure often resulted in a cut o-ring on the oil pump pickup tube, aerating the oil resulting in accelerated wear, clogging the aforementioned filter screen. A lot going on here. GM came up with this deflector on later versions of the engine..’........

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Well my Denali with the 6.2 I believe is in need of the o ring replacement so that’s why I was asking. I hadn’t noticed it using any oil in the 208k miles I’ve ran it

jberrymd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just had our 2009 Yukon XL denali at mechanic with low oil pressure/lifter tick. Pressure is 20 when on highway and down to around 10 at idle. We did an oil additive cleaning and then changed the oil from 5W30 to 0W20. Now pressure id 40ish at startup and drops as it warms up and driving. I see a few bubbles on dipstick, but not froth. Could it still be the o ring? How much should I expect a non-dealership mechanic to charge for the o-ring replacement?

jberrymd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will try the front end down test first to see if that helps with the pressure.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O-ring is sort of a big job. I don't know the typical labor quotes for this job but I bet they charge 4-8 hours + fluids and replacement gaskets.

InTNallen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 145 k on my 2007 Yukon Denali 6.2. My pressure when hot was dropping to around 25 psi, I changed to 5wx40 FS and have noticed about a 10 psi increase when hot to just under 40. I’m going to add ATP AT-205 that I saw on you tube by Kilmer to see if it can soften than oring up and maybe save me some work. If it works I will go back to 5wx30, if not I may keep using the 5wx40? If it keeps pressure, up maybe that’s fine?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O-ring is sort of a big job. I don't know the typical labor quotes for this job but I bet they charge 4-8 hours + fluids and replacement gaskets.
Honestly, I didn't find it that bad. You don't have to drop the whole diff. It's enough to loosen the passenger side mount and the bolts for the CV axle flange, and let it hang. I then dropped the steering rack and let it hang from the tie rods and also removed the cross member. I could do the job again in 2 hours and am just about to because I'm putting a new oil pump in now. An air impact wrench was worth its weight in gold for the job.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're pulling the pickup tube off the oil pump does that cause the pump to drain or is there a check valve? There is a hex plug on the driver side that allows you to fill the pump with oil. With the right setup you can pressurize the whole oiling system through that.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have to prime mine or anything when I replaced my pickup o-ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos