2008 5.3 DOD delete recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idriveaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine has most likely having lifter issues on one of the afm cylinders on driver side of motor. Runs like crap, threw no codes but definitely hear the sounds from the valve train area. Through the help of family knowing someone that owns a shop and was a gm tech before owning his own shop, I am going with him. I know some of you recommended the Texas speed dod delete kit, he is going to look into it. What else should I look into and tell him. My vehicle won’t get started on for 2 weeks at least he’s that booked. But I’d rather wait and deal with him since my uncle is an old friend.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Dropping this here- these parts are my reccomendation from texas speed's site.

Edit: someone reccomended not getting the LM7 camshaft. I know GM sells a non AFM camshaft that is the stock profile. That's the one you want if you don't want to tune
9a9f14bc2caa0d99e08085dbf5658af5.png

I personally went with a Stage 2 low lift cam when I had my delete done. Nothing but good things to say about the low lift cam- that said if I were to do it again I'd do a high lift cam. Just have to have a good dyno or street tune done when you do that.
Here is

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AFM delete kit from TSP or other suppliers is just a convenient way to get the basics that are needed. You can source the parts individually if you want, though. My issue with the kits is you don't know what brand of parts are included unless they specify. TSP does specify that they use GM parts, though. Another member here bought a budget kit and ended up with no-name lifters, one of which failed soon after he got it back on the road. I sourced my parts from ebay and Amazon. Also, if you get an L33 cam (@swathdiver got you a part number in the other thread), you won't have to do any special tuning as this cam has the same profile as the AFM cam, just without the AFM lobes.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Allen and Chris. And for a few hundred more (total), you can have a performance cam that will give you about 50 more HP and TQ, plus better fuel mileage and daily driver manners. You'll get better valve springs (LS springs DO break), pushrods, lifters, and upgrade the rocker arm bearings, etc, as part of the process.

OP
OP
Idriveaho

Idriveaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may not need to do this quite yet. Found out I have a broken exhaust valve spring. But to keep this thread going for future info, yeah what cam gets the extra hp that you are mentioning. I plan on doing the delete when I actually have the funds to do so.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Allen and Chris. And for a few hundred more (total), you can have a performance cam that will give you about 50 more HP and TQ, plus better fuel mileage and daily driver manners. You'll get better valve springs (LS springs DO break), pushrods, lifters, and upgrade the rocker arm bearings, etc, as part of the process.

Lol @ "...for a few hundred more..."

I planned out every single part for a factory AFM delete (no upgrades or special tuning needed). I think I was in it for around $800ish. Then a buddy offered me a TSP cam for $100. That $100 cam cost me $1,700+. :Big Laugh:

But, fun has a price! I do enjoy driving it so much more now. And you're right about the fuel mileage. Cruising at highway speeds (65-75), I meet or exceed my best AFM mileage by 1-3 MPG.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am curious about CAM options people use.
50 extra HP sounds nice, probably not too hard to tune for? ;)
On the recommendation of another member here, I emailed Vinci Performance and I gave them the details about how we use the truck and what my priorities are (durability, daily drivability, towing, and performance), and Roger Vinci (owner of the company) spec'd out a cam for me and emailed me back the details. I then ordered the cam, dual valve springs, moly pushrods and valve stem seals from him over the phone a few days later. They custom made the cam for me, which took about 3 weeks. What sold me on their cam is the quality of materials they use, and Roger's experience in valvetrain engineering.

Gilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello again, I'm interested in this cam your reference. Is that the custom one from Vinci or one from a parts house? Are you saying but better pushrods,(what's better pushrods. Moly?) and rocker arm bearings? I screenshot your parts list. Using it as a starting point. Would roller rockers be better.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello again, I'm interested in this cam your reference. Is that the custom one from Vinci or one from a parts house? Are you saying but better pushrods,(what's better pushrods. Moly?) and rocker arm bearings? I screenshot your parts list. Using it as a starting point. Would roller rockers be better.
It was the truck cam from Vinci Performance but I had to take it out because I had a lifter twist in the cheap aftermarket trays that Vinci sold me and wipe *TWO* cams for me. To his credit though he did warranty the cam so I have a new one unopened in the box sitting on my shelf. If you're referencing my cam swap thread, head to the last page to find the final setup.

All of that said, I do think Vinci makes a good cam and he does provide good support. To use one from him, you will want dual valve springs because the ramps on his cams are fast and the lift is high, which places too much strain on factory-style beehive valve springs. That also means you'll need to replace the valve stem seals with the cap type so that the dual coils don't bind. I had problems with the seals that Vinci sold me popping off the valve towers as well, but Fel-Pro makes a set that people have had better luck with. I also had a lifter that Vinci sold me that wouldn't fit in the bore. Long story short, I love Vinci's cams and his tech support, but I wouldn't buy any other component from him except maybe his valve springs.

On the rockers, you really can't do much better than stock. I would only upgrade the rockers if I were running a major power adder. @Rocket Man runs Yella Terra's in his (Vinci designed them and they're superb) and likes them but he's also supercharged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10