2007 Yukon 5.3 DOD Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickDeezy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it necessary to plug off the oil passages in the oil pan when doing a DOD delete? I had a full DOD delete kit put in (from ams racing) and tuned by a guy who’s local and came out to the truck where it was being worked on. My mechanic said its not necessary but its kind of got me wondering should I have him take it apart again and block them off or is he right about it being unnecessary?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to plug off the oil passages in the oil pan when doing a DOD delete? I had a full DOD delete kit put in (from ams racing) and tuned by a guy who’s local and came out to the truck where it was being worked on. My mechanic said its not necessary but its kind of got me wondering should I have him take it apart again and block them off or is he right about it being unnecessary?
The only oil passage in the oil pan is for the pressure relief pop-off valve that's only needed when the AFM system is active. When I did my cam swap I replaced mine with a new one, but the old one was fine and without AFM shouldn't ever get activated anyway. Some folks remove the valve and put a plug in the port, but it's not necessary. Yours will be fine and will likely still be in place when the engine dies of some other unrelated cause, 350K miles from now. :)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

From someone that plugged theirs- it's not necessary at all. I definitely wouldn't do it if I had no other reason to have the pan off.

I plugged mine because the valve is set to pop at something like 55-60 psi. There's a pressure release valve built into the oil pump that is open around 50-55 psi. I have a high volume pump that I modded for more flow to get pressures in the system higher than 55-60. So, that valve would've been like a secondary pressure release if the one in the oil pump wasn't already limiting the pressure by then. My pressures would've been fine even if lower than what they are now. But, I was modeling it after the Gen3 engine which had no AFM or pop off valve in the oil pan. Those engines do fine with an HV pump with whatever that pressure release valve is set at.

The worst that it could ever do being in place is get stuck open. There's virtually no chance of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz