Please help with post DoD delete problems!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so there's an engine combo that had afm but not vvt? wow gm made some weird combos thru the years.

and the non vvt timing gear set bolted up to your vvt cam? I'm surprised that's not all different. I've seen drawings of the oil passages to engage it, it runs thru the hollow front of the cam but never had one apart in my hands. I'd be worried about oil pressure from the front cam bearing running out the front of the cam without the vvt hardware?
kinda wild, I'd have thought it wouldn't have made much difference tuning wise, the vvt in these ls only move a few deg. it's not like an over head twin cam engine that moves things all over the map.

have you read back the tune after you saved it to make sure the upload took with the afm disabled? I have a odd ball truck, so don't think this is the same for you. but mine stock has disabled in the afm drop down box when it's turned on, but move it to enabled and it turns it off. it very well could be a hybrid only type-o but it's caught a lot of people out on the hp boards saying it's not supported. it is, it's just backwards. again, this very well could be a hybrid only thing, totally different ecm tune and all. just throwing it out there incase.
Yes, 2007 5.3’s had AFM without VVT. My 2007 6.2 had VVT without AFM.

I am also curious about the upper timing sprocket/cam combination because as far as I know, the VVT cam uses a VVT phaser sprocket and a VVT actuator which also serves as the bolt. At least in my 2007 6.2, that was the case.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
so there's an engine combo that had afm but not vvt? wow gm made some weird combos thru the years.

and the non vvt timing gear set bolted up to your vvt cam? I'm surprised that's not all different. I've seen drawings of the oil passages to engage it, it runs thru the hollow front of the cam but never had one apart in my hands. I'd be worried about oil pressure from the front cam bearing running out the front of the cam without the vvt hardware?
kinda wild, I'd have thought it wouldn't have made much difference tuning wise, the vvt in these ls only move a few deg. it's not like an over head twin cam engine that moves things all over the map.

have you read back the tune after you saved it to make sure the upload took with the afm disabled? I have a odd ball truck, so don't think this is the same for you. but mine stock has disabled in the afm drop down box when it's turned on, but move it to enabled and it turns it off. it very well could be a hybrid only type-o but it's caught a lot of people out on the hp boards saying it's not supported. it is, it's just backwards. again, this very well could be a hybrid only thing, totally different ecm tune and all. just throwing it out there incase.
Yes, it was a single bolt cam and the dowel set directly up with the cam gear. I'm thinking it's off a bit. I'm just going to order the correct cam and retune and see if it helps. I'll keep updating this post and hopefully it will help someone in the future.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
So I have slight update
First off, thank you everyone for your advice and help. I'm new to GM vehicles and their problems but have found myself with 3 of them. (3 Vehicles that is. Way more than 3 problems)

So I did the factory DoD lifter replacement and the vehicle never ran right, so, I bit the bullet and got the DoD/AFM delete kit from AMS racing. I tuned out the DoD with HP tuners, and only then, did I get the damn lean codes. So far, I've gather that there is a hierarchy to how the ECU reads codes and would not pull the lean DTCs until the others were taken care of. So I found myself chasing a problem that was coincidental to the DoD delete but a separate issue.

Now, I'm not celebrating just yet, but the HP tuners said I was indeed lean as hell and so did my white vavles and spark plugs. So, I started looking for leaks and found this (image attached). I'm going to get a replacement asap. I pray to god this is my issue because I really don't want to get a smoke machine or pay a shop.

P.S. I thought I was having issues from installing the wrong cam, however, AMR racing told me the VVT and non VVT are the same grind, just the VVT has the oil valley on the center bearing circle. At least as far as single bolt cams go.

Attachments

• PCV Hose.jpg
    PCV Hose.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have slight update
First off, thank you everyone for your advice and help. I'm new to GM vehicles and their problems but have found myself with 3 of them. (3 Vehicles that is. Way more than 3 problems)

So I did the factory DoD lifter replacement and the vehicle never ran right, so, I bit the bullet and got the DoD/AFM delete kit from AMS racing. I tuned out the DoD with HP tuners, and only then, did I get the damn lean codes. So far, I've gather that there is a hierarchy to how the ECU reads codes and would not pull the lean DTCs until the others were taken care of. So I found myself chasing a problem that was coincidental to the DoD delete but a separate issue.

Now, I'm not celebrating just yet, but the HP tuners said I was indeed lean as hell and so did my white vavles and spark plugs. So, I started looking for leaks and found this (image attached). I'm going to get a replacement asap. I pray to god this is my issue because I really don't want to get a smoke machine or pay a shop.

P.S. I thought I was having issues from installing the wrong cam, however, AMR racing told me the VVT and non VVT are the same grind, just the VVT has the oil valley on the center bearing circle. At least as far as single bolt cams go.
I hope that's it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have slight update

It's a good bet that that's your problem. That crack can draw in a lot of air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar