Please help with post DoD delete problems!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The diablosport tuner I got has transmission shift point tuning. I can't speak for any older units, but this unit does turn off DoD as well. It's worth a shot as I can use it for other things as well.

Edit: I got the tuner they sell with the kit.

I've read that it actually just installs a stock tune with DoD disabled on the diablosport forums.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

ouch_my_L4L5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the DoD/AFM delete with the Texas Speed kit. Truck starts and idles fine sometimes and sometimes rough. Has ZERO power. Barely makes it up a hill. Now I'm getting the codes
P3449 Cylinder 7 Deactivation solenoid valve control circuit
P3441 Cylinder 6 Deactivation solenoid valve control circuit
P3425 Cylinder 4 Deactivation solenoid valve control circuit
P3401 Cylinder 1 Deactivation solenoid valve control circuit

I have a DoD disabler that I plug into the OBD port until I get it tuned. Is this maybe not working correctly. I'm at a loss and I'm sick of putting money in this thing. I really really need it back on the road.
I had this same problem! The only answer is to tune it. First I tried the obd plug in DOD disabler like you. Then I tried Diablo Sport tuner which was junk in my opinion. Caused all sorts of issues with pinging false misfires, and surging. The handheld unit is slow, laggy, and feels cheaply made. Then I went with HP Tuners. If you're knowledgeable you can tune it yourself. Highly recommend Goat Rope Garage YouTube tuning videos to get you started. There is a bit of a learning curve at first but it is worth it in the long run. No sending out your ECM or swapping ECM. Folks here like Black Bear tuning but I don't have any experience with them. Good news is, if you've tuned one LS, you can pretty much tune any of them. Good Luck!

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re better off going with blackbear for a tune, in my opinion. You gotta tune out AFM properly, and they’ll be able to help you get the perfect tune for that cam as step 2. You don’t want a canned tune for an aftermarket cam. I had blackbear tune mine after my cam swap and I’m thrilled with it.
I had blackbear tune my truck and they were great to work with but I second guess paying as much as I did when I could have spent half the money and bought hp tuners and learned about it myself. I was under a hefty time crunch to feel confident enough to pull it off in the given amount of time.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had blackbear tune my truck and they were great to work with but I second guess paying as much as I did when I could have spent half the money and bought hp tuners and learned about it myself. I was under a hefty time crunch to feel confident enough to pull it off in the given amount of time.
If you still have their Autocal device it should work for this rig also, which will save you some coin.

I think learning to tune is wise and I have HP Tuners on my Christmas list. But there’s no substitute for expertise for that first tune. I sent Blackbear the cam specs and the data log I recorded before I tore it all down, and Justin sent me back a startup tune that I could use to get up and running and log more data so he could make the final tune.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you still have their Autocal device it should work for this rig also, which will save you some coin.

I think learning to tune is wise and I have HP Tuners on my Christmas list. But there’s no substitute for expertise for that first tune. I sent Blackbear the cam specs and the data log I recorded before I tore it all down, and Justin sent me back a startup tune that I could use to get up and running and log more data so he could make the final tune.
That reason alone is why I decided to let them do it. The truck had to be on the road asap and I’m sure it would have taken a frustrating weekends worth of trial and error to get it road worthy.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll be checking back in after I get the tuner which comes in Friday. It's worth a shot. If it doesn't work then I'll be going with HP tuners. I'm doing a 5.3 swap into my 1948 Plymouth P15 4 door sedan so I have to learn some tuning regardless. I have done some research and I've found that DoD/AFM disabling is fairly easy with HP tuners

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    26 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
**UPDATE**

You guys were right. The DiabloSport tuner did not work. However, I'm keeping it due to all the other things it can do.

Once downloading the tune, the truck idled like shit, kept giving me the lean on bank one AND bank two codes. This is due to the fact that I did a mechanical physical delete because I turned it off on a friends 2007 suburban that still had it and gave it the 87 octan canned tune and the truck ran phenomenally well. Yet mine will not.

I will now be going with HP tuners as recommended and I should have done to begin with. lol. Thanks for all the help and input. I'm not sure yet if I'm buying a unit or using the recommended blackbear tune.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
Have you plugged in the AFM VLOM to see if that helps the truck run better in the interim?
I have. That was plugged in from the very start. It makes no difference for some reason. I've let the truck run for 30 minutes and moved it around and that is literally the only codes I'm getting. Those 4 pesky cylinders.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
*UPDATE#2*

Guys, I'm slightly devastated. I ordered the HP Tuners MPVI3, did the DoD disable, wrote the new file to the truck. I did the EXACT same thing the DiabloSport tuner did. I get the
P3449 Cylinder 7 Deactivation solenoid valve control circuit
P3441 Cylinder 6 Deactivation solenoid valve control circuit
P3425 Cylinder 4 Deactivation solenoid valve control circuit
P3401 Cylinder 1 Deactivation solenoid valve control circuit
codes with DoD enabled, I get the lean in bank 1 and 2 codes with it disabled, as well as an obvious miss at idle.

Turns out I ordered the kit with VVT cam......I do not have VVT. I'm such an idiot. SO now I have to break into this damn engine again. Can someone please give me a part number for a Non DoD and Non VVT cam?

P.S. The DiaobloSport tuner DOES work to disable DoD. But the HP Tuber MPVI3 is far superior for the same price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts