Please help with post DoD delete problems!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI the LM7 cam is a nonAFM replacement but is on the weaker side of factory cams

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@03GMCYukonXL
looked through my email and here is the part number for the camshaft I used. It is the highest performance Non-AFM Non-VVT camshaft that GM made for these: 12583623

This is for the 5.3 “high output” motor otherwise known as L33

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
@03GMCYukonXL
looked through my email and here is the part number for the camshaft I used. It is the highest performance Non-AFM Non-VVT camshaft that GM made for these: 12583623

This is for the 5.3 “high output” motor otherwise known as L33
Thank you so much man. I've worked on cars for years and this is the worst oversight I've made.

Was there any additional tuning outside of disabling DoD in Hp tuners?
Also, do you agree that the VVT camshaft is likely the culprit here?

This is what happens when a Ford/Honda guy works on GMs lol.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@03GMCYukonXL I am just now catching up to your story so sorry If I am asking questions that have already been answered.

Get that new cam installed with non-AFM and non-VVT components.

Flash your truck back to stock and use HP Tuners to ONLY disable AFM and VVT.

It sounds like the first AFM disabler you were using only cripple's the emission system to trick the motor to not enter V4 mode but it would still be looking for the AFM parts so that would explain what you were seeing in the first post. I can't explain the problem you were having after using a proper tune to disable AFM.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
@03GMCYukonXL I am just now catching up to your story so sorry If I am asking questions that have already been answered.

Get that new cam installed with non-AFM and non-VVT components.

Flash your truck back to stock and use HP Tuners to ONLY disable AFM and VVT.

It sounds like the first AFM disabler you were using only cripple's the emission system to trick the motor to not enter V4 mode but it would still be looking for the AFM parts so that would explain what you were seeing in the first post. I can't explain the problem you were having after using a proper tune to disable AFM.
So I ordered the vvt cam with the kit and I do not have vvt. So I put in the wrong cam. Seems like this is the only thing to explain my issue. I put in LS7 lifter and non DoD valley cover. All that stuff. Just I put in a damn VVT cam because I didn't pay attention when ordering. Also, I did put it back to stock tune and used HP tuners to disable the DoD. That's the only change I made.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
@03GMCYukonXL Sounds like you are on the right track!
I'm not as familiar with GM's VVT, but it could be that the VVT cam needs to be clocked at a certain position at idle and it's fixed at the position it's in now. It runs ok at higher rpm. Just at idle there is a miss and runs lean. I would assume it would run rich because it's not getting enough lift and there is too much fuel for the air that is let in...however I really don't know. I can think of no other reason this would be happening. If it was a true lean condition then I would be getting those codes with the AFM enabled on the stock tune, but I do not. I only get it when it is disabled.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so there's an engine combo that had afm but not vvt? wow gm made some weird combos thru the years.

and the non vvt timing gear set bolted up to your vvt cam? I'm surprised that's not all different. I've seen drawings of the oil passages to engage it, it runs thru the hollow front of the cam but never had one apart in my hands. I'd be worried about oil pressure from the front cam bearing running out the front of the cam without the vvt hardware?
kinda wild, I'd have thought it wouldn't have made much difference tuning wise, the vvt in these ls only move a few deg. it's not like an over head twin cam engine that moves things all over the map.

have you read back the tune after you saved it to make sure the upload took with the afm disabled? I have a odd ball truck, so don't think this is the same for you. but mine stock has disabled in the afm drop down box when it's turned on, but move it to enabled and it turns it off. it very well could be a hybrid only type-o but it's caught a lot of people out on the hp boards saying it's not supported. it is, it's just backwards. again, this very well could be a hybrid only thing, totally different ecm tune and all. just throwing it out there incase.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@j91z28d1 The earlier version of the LMG motor had AFM without VVT and then in 2010 the same engine code LMG came with AFM AND VVT. I'm sure other engine codes had a similar thing going on. On top of that there are people here who found a benefit from deleting AFM and keeping VVT.

Quite literally adult legos lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar