2004 5.3 lifter tick what's the fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so as the title say's the ol'ladys burb has developed some lifter tick over the last couple of weeks, seems to be fairly heavy in the mornings when it's cold and then goes intermittent or goes away during the day as it is driven. seems to be on the drivers side. I know it's common but this has been rather sudden and I am wanting to know what it takes to fix it hopefully without to much tear down it has 240k on it and has had regular oil changes and maintenance I did a shotgun tune up on it a couple years ago plugs, wires, coil packs, maf, knock sensors so that part is all good. doesn't burn any oil and no leaks, shifts good.
option #2 is I can get another engine for $750 (used) then it would be whatever the cost is to have it swapped out.
options?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can empathize with you on this.

How many miles on the used motor? Does it come with any kind of warranty?

Have you tried putting ATF or something in the oil right before an oil change to see if that clears things up?

I’m assuming your oil pressure is good at start-up?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being an active TYF'er, I'm sure you've checked the exhaust manifold bolts already, right? Don't forget the ones at the collector. How does the oil look? Any sparkles in it? A spun bearing can sound like a lifter tick. I'd try running a quart of ATF for a little while to see if it makes any difference. As @avalonandl mentioned, checking under the rocker cover only takes minutes and you can get an idea of how clean the inside is. If you're sure it's just a lifter and the engine is worth it otherwise, lifters, head bolts, exhaust manifold bolts, lifter trays and all associated gaskets should only be around $350 and you can swap them in a day. But, just know that if you open it up and find a lifter went sideways, the cam could be wiped.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can empathize with you on this.

How many miles on the used motor? Does it come with any kind of warranty?

Have you tried putting ATF or something in the oil right before an oil change to see if that clears things up?

I’m assuming your oil pressure is good at start-up?
haven't tried any fixes yet because it just started happening, I guess I can try a quart of transmission fluid and see what that does, if it keeps it up I guess i'll have to crack it open and see whats going on. when I went to get the running board for the yukon the other day the yard said they had a engine with 105k on it 6month warranty, but that could be gone already.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being an active TYF'er, I'm sure you've checked the exhaust manifold bolts already, right? Don't forget the ones at the collector. How does the oil look? Any sparkles in it? A spun bearing can sound like a lifter tick. I'd try running a quart of ATF for a little while to see if it makes any difference. As @avalonandl mentioned, checking under the rocker cover only takes minutes and you can get an idea of how clean the inside is. If you're sure it's just a lifter and the engine is worth it otherwise, lifters, head bolts, exhaust manifold bolts, lifter trays and all associated gaskets should only be around $350 and you can swap them in a day. But, just know that if you open it up and find a lifter went sideways, the cam could be wiped.
ya that was the first thing I looked for was missing bolt heads but I also know the difference in the sound it makes for the most part it can be hard to tell but it sounds like it is right under the cover on the drivers side, I'll throw some trans fluid in it-how long should I leave the trans fluid in it? that part I don't know

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya that was the first thing I looked for was missing bolt heads but I also know the difference in the sound it makes for the most part it can be hard to tell but it sounds like it is right under the cover on the drivers side, I'll throw some trans fluid in it-how long should I leave the trans fluid in it? that part I don't know

It varies because what it's intended to do is dissolve gunk. If it's just a little piece that broke off from somewhere and got lodged in a tiny oil passage, the idea is to dissolve it so it stops blocking the flow of oil to that lifter or rocker. It may take a few hours, days or weeks. Unless you have time to look under the rocker cover, pour in a quart and let 'er rip for a day or so.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If t was me, I would try the trans fluid, a quart, with new oil and filter and drive it for 10-15 miles under different loads and see what happens. Drain all of it and add new oil and a new filter after that drive. Some here say, and I have agreed at times, to just let it idle for 15-30 minutes and then redo the oil change but I have done the drive under different load conditions with no problems before. Good luck.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If t was me, I would try the trans fluid, a quart, with new oil and filter and drive it for 10-15 miles under different loads and see what happens. Drain all of it and add new oil and a new filter after that drive. Some here say, and I have agreed at times, to just let it idle for 15-30 minutes and then redo the oil change but I have done the drive under different load conditions with no problems before. Good luck.
This sounds like a good plan to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
03yukonxldenali