2004 5.3 lifter tick what's the fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd try the tranny fluid first. You might look at using BG EPR: https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-epr-engine-performance-restoration/
Use it per the instructions, right as you do an oil change. Run the engine for the recommended amount of time and RPM, then drain and change oil & filter immediately. The oil gets hot so be ready for that. I've used it on my daily driver (not the Hoe), once at 100K on the clock.

07YUKONXL534x4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would try the trans fluid flush, but ultimately, new cam and lifters will likely be the only thing to truly fix the tick.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so as the title say's the ol'ladys burb has developed some lifter tick over the last couple of weeks, seems to be fairly heavy in the mornings when it's cold and then goes intermittent or goes away during the day as it is driven. seems to be on the drivers side. I know it's common but this has been rather sudden and I am wanting to know what it takes to fix it hopefully without to much tear down it has 240k on it and has had regular oil changes and maintenance I did a shotgun tune up on it a couple years ago plugs, wires, coil packs, maf, knock sensors so that part is all good. doesn't burn any oil and no leaks, shifts good.
option #2 is I can get another engine for $750 (used) then it would be whatever the cost is to have it swapped out.
options?

Option 3:

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read whole post, but I fixed my tick. It's due to varnished ports on the lifters. The oil ports on the lifters are very small and prone to oil varnishing. You need to be careful to change your oil regularly and use a decent oil. Here's how I fixed mine..

- Bought 2 spray cans of Berryman B-12
- Bought a 16 oz can of seafoam
- Pulled both valve covers off.
- Sprayed entire can of Berryman B-12 on each side of motor.
- B-12 is sprayed using the straw down into the hole on the push rod. This takes it directly down into the lifter.
- Then pour sea foam down onto lifters in similar fashion, using up entire can of seafoam.
- Put your valve covers back on.

Let this soak for a 1 or 2 days. Then...

If you want to be super safe, you can change your oil and immediately put another can of sea foam into the new oil. I didn't do this....

- Start truck but don't drive it. Let it idle with that seafoam in the crankcase for 1 hour.
- Change your oil.

This took away my lifter tick. I found a guy on Youtube that did this, however, he used a stronger crankcase cleaner. I just used seafoam. If you're feeling rich you can get KanoLabs - Kroil and put it in the crankcase. I didn't want to spend the big bucks lol But saw a lot of people had success doing that.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 had a tick that came and went. Never bothered me enough to do anything about it but if I did I would have tried the carb cleaner down the push rod method. Saw a video of it on YouTube.
Never heard of that. Great idea sure beats removal of the Intake and replacing the lifters.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read whole post, but I fixed my tick. It's due to varnished ports on the lifters. The oil ports on the lifters are very small and prone to oil varnishing. You need to be careful to change your oil regularly and use a decent oil. Here's how I fixed mine..

- Bought 2 spray cans of Berryman B-12
- Bought a 16 oz can of seafoam
- Pulled both valve covers off.
- Sprayed entire can of Berryman B-12 on each side of motor.
- B-12 is sprayed using the straw down into the hole on the push rod. This takes it directly down into the lifter.
- Then pour sea foam down onto lifters in similar fashion, using up entire can of seafoam.
- Put your valve covers back on.

Let this soak for a 1 or 2 days. Then...

If you want to be super safe, you can change your oil and immediately put another can of sea foam into the new oil. I didn't do this....

- Start truck but don't drive it. Let it idle with that seafoam in the crankcase for 1 hour.
- Change your oil.

This took away my lifter tick. I found a guy on Youtube that did this, however, he used a stronger crankcase cleaner. I just used seafoam. If you're feeling rich you can get KanoLabs - Kroil and put it in the crankcase. I didn't want to spend the big bucks lol But saw a lot of people had success doing that.

Cheaper and faster to just use some tranny fluid mixed with oil...run engine at idle for 15 - 20 mins...drain...new oil and filter....done.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheaper and faster to just use some tranny fluid mixed with oil...run engine at idle for 15 - 20 mins...drain...new oil and filter....done.
ya were going to try that today and see what happens, my 03 silverado had a lifter tick for years it would come and go and when it was present it would only do it after it sat idling for a few minutes so I never really looked into trying to fix or what could even be done just lived with it.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya were going to try that today and see what happens, my 03 silverado had a lifter tick for years it would come and go and when it was present it would only do it after it sat idling for a few minutes so I never really looked into trying to fix or what could even be done just lived with it.
I dont think the tick hurts much. mine did it at cold startup after sitting for a couple days. I would let it idle for a couple minutes and it would go away.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt diagnose much deeper. what probably would be worse is a loose rocker.... ailly ignition packs were such that i couldnt start up motor with valve cover off to see if any rockers were loose or starved of oil.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

bradyjames

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a lifter tick too. Before I used any fuel additives, I did some research on a forum, BITOG, and on a recommendation, I decided to change my oil to Castrol Edge and change my cheap microguard oil filter to a WIX.

Problem solved. It turns out that not all 5w30 oils are created equal as well as oil filters. I was using a cheap oil filter that had a leaky anti drain back valve.

Haven't heard any weird noises since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts