08 Tahoe 258000 miles hard starting and wet spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on a side note.. the 8th injector isn'tf firing? is that plug not wet?

it is the one that's hard to get to, are you sure it's been checked and or changed out? it gets skipped alot because of its location

OP
OP
J

Jkiel84

Reaction score
on a side note.. the 8th injector isn'tf firing? is that plug not wet?

it is the one that's hard to get to, are you sure it's been checked and or changed out? it gets skipped alot because of its location
No I just found out I wasn’t firing I did the injector test and that was the only one that didn’t make any noise I checked the wiring with a noid light and it’s getting power to the injector I must have got a faulty inject there all brand new so are the plugs and wires and coils all that’s brand new and o2 sensors and cats all brand new I’m gonna recheck my fuel pressure at a higher rpm and see if it goes down with the key on engine off I’m getting 55 psi with the key On engine on at idle I’m getting 60psi but I never checked it under load so I’m gonna get a new injector and then check that thanks for the input man I really appreciate it

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I was just looking at some fuel trims on a different car after a catch can install. but I noticed this and it reminded me that sometimes gm ecm's, especially when it's flashing the check engine light. as that's gm code for you're engine is eating itself alive. it will turn the fuel injector off in that cyl to try and save washing everything down with fuel.

Screenshot_20240305-151958.png

so that might complicate your trouble shooting if the replacement injector doesn't fix anything. it might be spark related or valve train

OP
OP
J

Jkiel84

Reaction score
My 08 Tahoe 5.3 flex fuel all of a sudden on day just had a p0300 random multiple misfire so I changed all the plugs ac Delco iridium’s mind just bought all new coil packs also ac delco it ran fine then the p0300 code checked the plugs they were all black and wet with fuel so I changed all the injectors since they were still oem from the factory still no change it starts really hard then when it starts it’ll idle up and down like it wants to die it also has brand new Bosch o2 sensors and new cats before the misfire thing happened it ran good not great but good was getting 15 miles to the gallon that’s why I say good not great running and that’s highway and then the next day I came out and it would barely stay running fuel pressure is normal with just key on it was 55psi and with it running it was 60psi I know there’s some knowledgeable people here need some help thanks for reading. All cylinders a between 170 and 180 one cylinder is at 160 don’t know if that helps and all coil packs are firing brand new spark plugs just looked in the cylinder with a scope and they all look good gonna do a pressure test to make sure the head gasket isnt leaking but truck wasn’t overheating and never lost coolant need some help buddies
So I got it running decent but my fuel trims are out of wack I have the numbers from my scan tool with the o2 sensor numbers and my fuel pressure dips to under 40 psi when bring up the rpm’s my mass air flow is at 5.74 g/s that seems right just wanna know why my trims are out of wack thanks again for everything at least I’m getting closer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 2

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's taking away fuel, probably since it's been over-fueling for a while. Lots of fuel left where it shouldn't be, and you may want to check your oil for fuel contamination. Hope you didn't ruin a cat.

Warm it up and run it for a while (several days, maybe) to see if the short term trims come down. If they do, the long term trims will follow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jkiel84

Reaction score
It's taking away fuel, probably since it's been over-fueling for a while. Lots of fuel left where it shouldn't be, and you may want to check your oil for fuel contamination. Hope you didn't ruin a cat.

Warm it up and run it for a while (several days, maybe) to see if the short term trims come down. If they do, the long term trims will follow.
I just changed my oil it did smell like fuel and the cats a brand new just curious if everything else looks good like the o2 sensors I don’t have any other codes all the codes went away

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The mv values for the O2 sensors will be high when there is too little oxygen (fuel rich) in the exhaust. So they do seem to be reading the exhaust as rich now.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@j91z28d1 I think in this situation that isn't the case since power is being sent to the injector but it just isn't firing

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@j91z28d1 I think in this situation that isn't the case since power is being sent to the injector but it just isn't firing

yeah if that's what's happening and he had power and switched ground at that injector then the ecm hasn't shut it off but I was never quite sure what he was doing to check. sounded like he was just running an injection test on the scanner one at a time. which turns off the injector and if the engine doesn't run rougher you know you've found one with an issue.(old days we'd do this by pulling a spark plug one at a time off) at that point it's one of the 3 things, eother spark, fuel or compression. he doesn't have a tick so hopefully it wasn't a compression issue. so I was just thinking of the ecm already had the injector shut off because of a blinking check engine light, the injector test might not have worked because the ecm already had it off.

sounds like it's fixed thou?

like said, drive it a bit.. the trims don't look crazy bad.. like I believe they will go as far as 25% plus or minus for both short and long term. so they are able to keep it under control right now. give it a bit and see if it clears up.

the fuel pressure dips below 40 under throttle could be a signs of things to come. it should probably be steady all the way to redline. it will very with vacuum thou, so if you let off vac will go high lowering the pressure for a bit.

OP
OP
J

Jkiel84

Reaction score
yeah if that's what's happening and he had power and switched ground at that injector then the ecm hasn't shut it off but I was never quite sure what he was doing to check. sounded like he was just running an injection test on the scanner one at a time. which turns off the injector and if the engine doesn't run rougher you know you've found one with an issue.(old days we'd do this by pulling a spark plug one at a time off) at that point it's one of the 3 things, eother spark, fuel or compression. he doesn't have a tick so hopefully it wasn't a compression issue. so I was just thinking of the ecm already had the injector shut off because of a blinking check engine light, the injector test might not have worked because the ecm already had it off.

sounds like it's fixed thou?

like said, drive it a bit.. the trims don't look crazy bad.. like I believe they will go as far as 25% plus or minus for both short and long term. so they are able to keep it under control right now. give it a bit and see if it clears up.

the fuel pressure dips below 40 under throttle could be a signs of things to come. it should probably be steady all the way to redline. it will very with vacuum thou, so if you let off vac will go high lowering the pressure for a bit.
It’s still has the original fuel pump that’s why I was wondering about the fuel pressure and yeah I checked the injector at the wire with a test light to make sure it was getting power thanks guys for all the help I we lost but I said I’d get it going again but with help do thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts