Popping thud noise 2010 tahoe ltz only hear it when roads are wet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kemperboy01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so i have a 2010 tahoe ltz with a 7 1/2 rough country lift. i bypassed the front air ride struts and rear i bought a cheap kit on ebay for this came with struts and shocks (not sure if the strut was too cheap and it broke?). so the noise sounds like its coming from passenger front you can hear and feel it , strange thing is i only hear it when it rains like if the roads are wet on take off and sometimes brake never when turning so i dont think its and axle. i have replaced front diff mounts, motor mounts, trans mount, both front and rear sway bar end links and bushings, hubs are new, brake calipers and rotors are new , new driver side axle. i have also went under several times and torqued and retorqued every bolt. things i have not replaced are the upper and lower control arms bushings and ball joints passenger axle and i have not tried another strut to rule that out. so after i did the sway bar bushings it almost seems as if its not as loud of a clunk but its still there. every time i replace a part i have to wait until the roads are wet to see if i fixed it or not. any suggestions tips or anything would help. i did buy some struts and going to try that just to see but its driving me crazy. i have also went over the back as well everything looks good nothing looks out of place or loose i also dont think its the famous driveshaft clunk because i have that on another tahoe and it sounds different than this and all u joints look good and feel tight i did take them off to inspect them as well as grease the slip yoke just in case. thanks in advance and sorry if i posted something wrong

OP
OP
K

kemperboy01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
also to add the sound is almost like a bad motor mount but the motor mounts are only 3 months old and the are not cheap ebay mounts i know there is such thing as a bad new part etc but it has been drove real soft since i did that and has not been off road

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine will do this from time to time and my gmt800 would as well.
I have found that greasing the front sway bar D bushing's sometimes helps, sometimes not
you could try as a experiment, disconnect the front swar bar and see if it the noise goes away (I never tried it)
but doing that would rule the sway bar in or out. It won't hurt anything to drive without the sway bar just be aware it may not handle the same if you had to make a emergency manuever.
other than that my thoughts are body mounts, which I don't why they would make noise when damp but who knows......

on my gmt800 the dealer told me there was a tsb on the crossmember making noise and the fix was to remove the bolts swap them around and re-torque, which did not help in my case but it is another thing to consider.

OP
OP
K

kemperboy01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thank you for the reply i thought about the body mounts but was not sure i will check those out. i will also try the bolt swap method and see where that gets me as well as pull the sway bar and see what happens i also thought about trying to spray a garden hose on each part then making test runs until i find it otherwise i have to wait until it rains lol on a dry day like today in central ms it drives like a dream no noise at all

OP
OP
K

kemperboy01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i am leaning that way right now because driving this morning when roads are wet and i still hear it. it sounds like it is coming from the strut area. i have a new strut i am going to try to replace it today and see what happens. i did try the methods above and i still hear it so hopefully its just a bad strut

OP
OP
K

kemperboy01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
replaced strut driving this morning its still there but not as bad of a thud so i guess something i did during strut install or i have multiple issues resulting in the thud noise

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
replaced strut driving this morning its still there but not as bad of a thud so i guess something i did during strut install or i have multiple issues resulting in the thud noise
Bummer. Did you check the wheel bearing and ball joints for play while you had that wheel in the air? For the ball joints it will take a pry bar due to the spring pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts