03 Yukon Denali manual swap...maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SLeeper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all I got an 03 Denali I had since army days. Its been across the country several times an once out. Sitting at 325k miles an so far 2 trans rebuilds. And I think another one is on the way. 2022 I bought a 17 Denali and kept the 03 for work until some kids in a rental totaled the 17. Lookin for a 2020 or new one but been debating working on the 03. It would be fun to have it manual trans an thinking a 6 speed with maybe an adapter plate to the awd transfer case. Im not worried about a check engine light if thats the only problem but I feel its a bit more complicated than that. Hell if this works maybe a lil 6.2 swap will follow. I see the tahoe an escalade guys doing it so im hoping this got a chance. Anybody with expirience on these trans feel free to hype me up or shoot me down lol

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all I got an 03 Denali I had since army days. Its been across the country several times an once out. Sitting at 325k miles an so far 2 trans rebuilds. And I think another one is on the way. 2022 I bought a 17 Denali and kept the 03 for work until some kids in a rental totaled the 17. Lookin for a 2020 or new one but been debating working on the 03. It would be fun to have it manual trans an thinking a 6 speed with maybe an adapter plate to the awd transfer case. Im not worried about a check engine light if thats the only problem but I feel its a bit more complicated than that. Hell if this works maybe a lil 6.2 swap will follow. I see the tahoe an escalade guys doing it so im hoping this got a chance. Anybody with expirience on these trans feel free to hype me up or shoot me down lol
Need to know what donor vehicle you intend to get the manual out of?
And the ? I seem to have to ask around alot lately is......why? Just why?

OP
OP

97SLeeper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need to know what donor vehicle you intend to get the manual out of?
And the ? I seem to have to ask around alot lately is......why? Just why?
The donor would depend on what fits. Im seeing the NV trans are being used, but why not a T56? The ? Is I love manual trans its just that simple

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a nice Tremec 6 speed!
But, you may be limited to rear wheel drive...

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree a manual swap would be fun, but short of a few adapters i think the 3500 5 speed is going to be the easiest to do. And the reason I personally would do that is the availability of off the shelf parts from any truck that would have come with that transmission.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll probably want to have the ECM tune changed over to manual and that should take care of any potential engine control issues.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New venture 3500 probably easiest I would imagine floor stamping has place that could be punched out for shifter.They made different bell housings for which ever engine it was going to be married with and several different tail housings for two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive etc. I would think that console would need to be removed and a bench seat might work well.
Also, would have to get clutch pedal setup for hydraulic clutch and neutral safety switch. Need a donor vehicle that meets engine drive train of your 03. 03 GM pickup truck would work best.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New venture 3500 probably easiest I would imagine floor stamping has place that could be punched out for shifter.They made different bell housings for which ever engine it was going to be married with and several different tail housings for two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive etc. I would think that console would need to be removed and a bench seat might work well.
Also, would have to get clutch pedal setup for hydraulic clutch and neutral safety switch. Need a doner vehicle that meets engine drive train of your 03. 03 GM pickup truck would work best.
Whatchu talkin' about willis? All LS based engines have the same bellhousing. 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3