Z55 front shocks bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juicedgsr95

Reaction score
How do you tell if the front shocks of a Z55 suspension are bad? 2011 Suburban LTZ. I Have K02 tires that are 3k miles old and the fronts are cupping. Alignment was done when the tires were put on and running a front 1.75” level with the ride height brackets to keep them correct. The truck has 143k miles, and think I am just going to put some 5100’s on the front and get it aligned again. I’m hoping that fixes this issue.

The ride is fine, probably a little stiff compared to what a ‘luxury ride’ front strut should give I am guessing.

Any opinions?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you tell if the front shocks of a Z55 suspension are bad? 2011 Suburban LTZ. I Have K02 tires that are 3k miles old and the fronts are cupping. Alignment was done when the tires were put on and running a front 1.75” level with the ride height brackets to keep them correct. The truck has 143k miles, and think I am just going to put some 5100’s on the front and get it aligned again. I’m hoping that fixes this issue.

The ride is fine, probably a little stiff compared to what a ‘luxury ride’ front strut should give I am guessing.

Any opinions?
12 years old, the suspension could probably use some freshening up. If you have more than .5mm of play in your ball joints or 1mm of play in your tie rods, it is time for new ones.

Bilsteins are going to be a downgrade over what you have now.

Do you have access to a Tech-2 or similar tool? It can "talk" to your shocks and check their condition as Joe mentioned.

OP
OP
J

juicedgsr95

Reaction score
I don’t have a tech2. I am guessing they are shot because I wouldn’t call the ride any better (probably worse) than the bilstiens I put on my trail boss. I’ve decided to sway them but will check the tie rods and ball joints as well. Was hoping there was an easy way to check if they were actually working.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Failed shocks will not cause cupping. Worn bushings, ball joints, and tie-rods can though and if all that is original it is probably due for replacement. If you're lift is just a spacer lift, that also ruins the ball joint angles and is probably the main cause of your cupping. Tires like the K02 also do need to be rotated much more often (and cross the fronts going to the rear) to keep them in the best shape.

To answer your question, there are two ways to tell if the Auto/Mag ride shocks are failed. One is they're blown and leaking the other is they're locked up (best way to tell is to go over a steep speed bump).

OP
OP
J

juicedgsr95

Reaction score
Ok, so new upper control arms, and lower ball joints? Will I need a press for the lower ball joints? Rent a tool from AutoZone? I’ve decided I am installing the bilstiens (already have them in the rear) I’ll take out the spacer and use the bilstien to bring it back level.
Failed shocks will not cause cupping. Worn bushings, ball joints, and tie-rods can though and if all that is original it is probably due for replacement. If your lift is just a spacer lift, that also ruins the ball joint angles and is probably the main cause of your cupping. Tires like the K02 also do need to be rotated much more often (and cross the fronts going to the rear) to keep them in the best shape.

To answer your question, there are two ways to tell if the Auto/Mag ride shocks are failed. One is they're blown and leaking the other is they're locked up (best way to tell is to go over a steep speed bump).

OP
OP
J

juicedgsr95

Reaction score
Replaced the shocks today with 5100’s. Instantly a better ride. One of the Z55 shocks busted open when removing it and spit oil everywhere. My guess is they were not performing correctly.

I have an appointment tomorrow to check the alignment and all ball joints. From my testing all ball joints and bushing looked good, no movement. I will have the. Tell me and I have upper/lower/tie rod belongs showing up Saturday. If they say it all looks good I will be returning those parts.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would still install the new control arms. A 200lb guy pulling on the control arms will not reveal a worn bushing like a 5000lb SUV will when it is cornering. The ball joints can be squeezed with a big pair of pilers but that still isn't the same amount of force. If you bought good quality parts (OEM is best) that will probably make as big of a difference as the shocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak