Z55 front shocks bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to add to this as I'm suspecting my front's may be bad also.

I have the Z55 in my 2012 XL Denali and I recently replaced the rear shocks with Arnott but the front is still OE with 117K miles.

Do you have access to a Tech-2 or similar tool? It can "talk" to your shocks and check their condition as Joe mentioned.

I do have a Tech 2, could you elaborate on this procedure?
One is they're blown and leaking the other is they're locked up (best way to tell is to go over a steep speed bump).
When I roll over a small speed bump, straight on, at even a low speed, the front will "land hard" on the backside of the speed bump with a sharp hit.

Normal driving the front feels like I have 50 PSI in my front tires and they are Defender LTX with over 80% of tread remaining.

I do have the 22" wheels from GM as well.

I'm fine with replacing the front shocks/struts with OE GM. I just hope the new GM units play well with the rear Arnott.

Wanted to add, the front behaved like this before I replaced the rears, but the rear rides very nice now.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ball joints can be squeezed with a big pair of pilers but that still isn't the same amount of force

One method is to jack up the control arm so the tire is about an inch off the ground, then take a prybar under the tire and try to lift up, the lower ball joint should not compress when lifting the tire.

You can't really test this with the suspension hanging, needs to be under normal resting load.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to add to this as I'm suspecting my front's may be bad also.

I have the Z55 in my 2012 XL Denali and I recently replaced the rear shocks with Arnott but the front is still OE with 117K miles.

I do have a Tech 2, could you elaborate on this procedure?

When I roll over a small speed bump, straight on, at even a low speed, the front will "land hard" on the backside of the speed bump with a sharp hit.

Normal driving the front feels like I have 50 PSI in my front tires and they are Defender LTX with over 80% of tread remaining.

I do have the 22" wheels from GM as well.

I'm fine with replacing the front shocks/struts with OE GM. I just hope the new GM units play well with the rear Arnott.

Wanted to add, the front behaved like this before I replaced the rears, but the rear rides very nice now.
No, I don't have that suspension on mine so the menus are not there for me to look at. @gooffeyguy @Joseph Garcia

If there's more than .50 millimeters of play in either the upper or lower ball joint, they are out of spec.

We jack up one side on the frame. Then put a floor jack on the control arm and lift it up about an inch and use the dial indicator to see how much it moved, if any.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were your front shocks stiff before you replaced the rear shocks?
Now that I think about it, I don't know if it was the same or worse after the rear shock change. Ride height is pretty much perfectly level, no issues there.

It does feel like the front is way over damped.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I don't know if it was the same or worse after the rear shock change. Ride height is pretty much perfectly level, no issues there.

It does feel like the front is way over damped.
OK. Just trying to determine if the work on the rear shocks were some how potentially related to the stiff shocks in the front.

A bi-directional scanner would be helpful in seeing just what is occurring in the dampers on the front shocks.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My update on this, I cannot find anything in the Tech 2 on the health of the suspension, I will chalk that up to user error at this time.

Secondly, I'm trying to locate the front strut cartridges, based on my VIN, the 2 dealers I called gave me: 19420494 and they also verified I have the computer controlled suspension.

Are these correct? Searching these parts I don't see the electrical connector at the top.

This is a pic of my front strut, safe bet these are OE with 120K miles....ouch.

Screenshot_20230504-161614_Gallery.jpg

I purchased this with 92K on the clock and these have been on my to do list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys