Wrenching in the gravel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to do the suspension on my XL, and I have gravel outside of the garage. I am wondering if anyone has tried laying tar or liquid asphalt over the top of gravel, or maybe doing a chip and seal type of thing. I wanna be able to move my jack around easier.

My other thought is a big piece of carpet, which is probably what I will end up doing for now. Maybe a few smaller pieces so I can move them inside if it rains

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have also used some rectangle pieces of thin carpet ( think like indoor/outdoor carpet) as something to lay on. a same buddy also uses some plastic sheets that are corrugated like cardboard ( think thick yard signs)

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have used sheets of plywood and also laid on cardboard. I went to an appliance store and they gave me a complete thick cardboard box that a refrigerator was shipped in and then I cut it for 2 sheets of large cardboard.

x2 on a piece of plywood or OSB, and maybe a blanket or carpet on top of that. No carpet where the jack base sits. Rough gravel is going to poke through cardboard.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some 1/8" steel plates that I use with my gravel driveway. 2 of the plates are 2'x2' which I use for the jack stands, and the 3rd plate is 2'x4' which I use for the jack.