What lower control arm is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sunshine Girl

Sunshine Girl

Reaction score
Good job, we will help best we can.
Do the ball joints and tie rods look like they need to be replaced? I watched videos on how to check ball joints ..(the wheel is solid as has no movement. The other wheel has a tiny bit of play.)
Why don't the control arm bushings look like other Tahoe's in videos I have seen.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the ball joints and tie rods look like they need to be replaced? I watched videos on how to check ball joints ..(the wheel is solid as has no movement. The other wheel has a tiny bit of play.)
Why don't the control arm bushings look like other Tahoe's in videos I have seen.

Not sure I follow on what you are saying about the bushings not looking like the ones in the videos.

You shook each wheel up and down and left/right? If there was no movement then I wouldn't worry about it.

Slight movement on the one wheel, could also be a wheel bearing. You need to visually see where the movement is at, maybe us a crow bar to pry on thing so see if there is play. Sometimes can be hard to see.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shocks (or are they called struts or shock/struts?) look to be original or just beat.
If the front end is being overhauled the price of new shocks is pretty cheap.
If funds are limited, you could always go back in for shocks later...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When inspecting the front steering and suspension, it needs to be in a loaded condition, not lifted and having everything hang. While on the ground and running, have a friend move steering wheel from 10 to 2 and go back and forth and see if you see any up and down movement at tie rods, center link and idler/pitman arms. A slight roll is normal.

Then use floor jack close to lower ball joint and lift front tires off ground approximately 2". Use a pry bar and pry under the center of tread to check ball joint up and down play. At this time, grab tires at 12 and 6 and 9 and 3 and see if you get bearing play. Also, spin the tires and feel for any roughness indicating a failing wheel bearing/hub.

I see cracks in the sway bar link bushings and shock bushings.

OP
OP
Sunshine Girl

Sunshine Girl

Reaction score
The other day I had to do a u-turn (I did it slowly) and there was a loud clunk from the front....tie rod ends?
It rides very smooth...just want to do some preventative maintenance while I have a bit of money.

Btw...You guys are fantastic!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day I had to do a u-turn (I did it slowly) and there was a loud clunk from the front....tie rod ends?
It rides very smooth...just want to do some preventative maintenance while I have a bit of money.

Consider that she is now old enough to vote and the ravages of time have taken their toll on the bushings. Replace it all. Consider GM OE wherever available or ACDelco Gold/Professional and Moog CK series.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mine don't look like the video either...
The bushing material isn't supposed to just lay across the top of the control arm?
Yes, I do have an occasional clunk in the front end... Not urgent enough for this to force a winter job! I'll look at it again in the spring.
20220216_142439.jpg

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700