What is a 5.3L worth if it’s bad???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely not an exhaust leak from a broken manifold bolt. Really sounds like a squishy lifter. Popping them rocker covers off only takes about 20 mins.

OP
OP
K

kdubb30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok I found out that it’s the camshaft making noise. It’s also losing oil pressure so I just parked it. Don’t know what to do at this point. It will sit awhile I guess. I got a 2008 Impala SS I been driving.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I found out that it’s the camshaft making noise. It’s also losing oil pressure so I just parked it. Don’t know what to do at this point. It will sit awhile I guess. I got a 2008 Impala SS I been driving.

Cam bearing condition (clearance) is one of the biggest factors in oil pressure. You probably spun a cam bearing, which would explain your symptoms of noise and now dropping oil pressure. At 260K, it's not worth rebuilding. If the rest of the car is in good condition, drop a junkyard 5.3 (or larger) in it and keep rollin. Otherwise, part it out and sell me some parts. :D

OP
OP
K

kdubb30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cam bearing condition (clearance) is one of the biggest factors in oil pressure. You probably spun a cam bearing, which would explain your symptoms of noise and now dropping oil pressure. At 260K, it's not worth rebuilding. If the rest of the car is in good condition, drop a junkyard 5.3 (or larger) in it and keep rollin. Otherwise, part it out and sell me some parts. :D
What do you possibly need?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you possibly need?

A decent dash is the first thing that comes to mind. I see them in junkyards online, but they're so far away. By the time I find one being parted out closer to me, the dash is either destroyed from a wreck or it's already been claimed. My brother is kinda looking for a GMT900 front brake setup for his Sierra. I'm sure there could be other things.

OP
OP
K

kdubb30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A decent dash is the first thing that comes to mind. I see them in junkyards online, but they're so far away. By the time I find one being parted out closer to me, the dash is either destroyed from a wreck or it's already been claimed. My brother is kinda looking for a GMT900 front brake setup for his Sierra. I'm sure there could be other things.
Send me a PM.

OP
OP
K

kdubb30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok I just wanted to update this thread about my Tahoe. I had it repaired. Turns out it was NOT the camshaft. Camshaft was absolutely fine. It was a broken valve spring. I had been driving it awhile like that and it never got any worse. Also had a couple bad lifters. Replaced lifters and oil pump and she purrs like a kitten. Also fixed an exhaust leak due to broken manifold bolts. She runs good and has great oil pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aquarianking