Post DoD delete ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 13 Tahoe was ticking so bad, took it to get an AFM delete and it was a bent pushrod. The shop I went to is experienced in this and they did the full delete + tune this past September. It was making a squealing noise which I knew was my idler pulley, but then I started hearing a faint tick. I replaced the tensioner, pulley and the belt and I can still hear a faint tick that accelerates/decelerates with speed. I don’t know if it’s normal, something with my belt/pulley or if I’m more conscious of sounds after I fixed the truck and something is wrong. What are the possibilities of the failure after a delete?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 13 Tahoe was ticking so bad, took it to get an AFM delete and it was a bent pushrod. The shop I went to is experienced in this and they did the full delete + tune this past September. It was making a squealing noise which I knew was my idler pulley, but then I started hearing a faint tick. I replaced the tensioner, pulley and the belt and I can still hear a faint tick that accelerates/decelerates with speed. I don’t know if it’s normal, something with my belt/pulley or if I’m more conscious of sounds after I fixed the truck and something is wrong. What are the possibilities of the failure after a delete?
Which lifters did they use? Some of them will bleed off oil pressure at lower RPMs and tick but there's nothing wrong. If you can, record a video with your phone and upload it to YouTube with public permissions, then link it back here.

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which lifters did they use? Some of them will bleed off oil pressure at lower RPMs and tick but there's nothing wrong. If you can, record a video with your phone and upload it to YouTube with public permissions, then link it back here.
I will link a video in the comments below. Here is a picture of my invoice, sorry for the quality but I believe it says the lifters they used. 85227FE3-E7AB-4EF0-9A27-4D29333BBAE6.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To see if it isn't belt or pulley/tensioner related you could run the motor without the belt to see if that helps.

A video of the problem would help and maybe an idea of where the sound is coming from.

Here is a link of the sound, you can only hear it if my phone is inside the wheel well. Not above the engine.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will link a video in the comments below. Here is a picture of my invoice, sorry for the quality but I believe it says the lifters they used. View attachment 396635
Very helpful. That's a stock replacement cam and standard GM non-AFM lifters. That should produce a quiet valvetrain. Will review the video and offer more after that.

Update: That tick could well be:
1/ A light lifter tick
2/ An exhaust manifold leak (they are often indistinguishable)
3/ A loose spark plug
4/ An arcing plug wire

It's frequency is at half crank rotation speed, which is the key to the above. You might try to use a mechanic's stethoscope to see if you can pinpoint it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very helpful. That's a stock replacement cam and standard GM non-AFM lifters. That should produce a quiet valvetrain. Will review the video and offer more after that.
thanks. I attached it to the previous comment to Dustin. I checked all my manifold bolts a few weeks ago and they’re all there as well.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've listened to the video, I hear the sound you are talking about and I don't think there is anything to worry about. My tahoe makes a similar sound sometimes and it could be the lifters bleeding a little oil at low rpm or possibly an exhaust manifold leak.

Maybe take another video from different parts of the motor while revving the engine but I don't think there is a problem here.

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Update: That tick could well be:
1/ A light lifter tick
2/ An exhaust manifold leak (they are often indistinguishable)
3/ A loose spark plug
4/ An arcing plug wire

Its frequency is at half crank rotation speed, which is the key to the above. You might try to use a mechanic's stethoscope to see if you can pinpoint it.
thank you, I have people telling me I’m crazy and that I’m hearing things but I know my truck. I’m hoping it’s anything but the lifter as I JUST fixed them.

This may or may not be related, but sometimes I get a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust and sometimes I don’t. It’s random. I also had significant coolant loss (I would fill the reservoir every few weeks from empty) prior to the delete and it has gotten a lot better, but the reservoir still loses a little now (maybe about 1/2 qt every few months).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts