2023 Tahoe High Country is gone...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the state. In some states, the road infrastructure is not set up for higher speeds, or are just downright bad, and traveling over 75MpH is not safe.
Weird huh?
Depends on the actual condition of the infrastructure then and there.
I remember driving through Pennsylvania, where the posted speed limit could be 35MpH even where the roads were able to support 70MpH.
I also know places where the posted speed limit will damage most cars and even some trucks because of how badly some roads are 'maintained'.

Speed limits protecting road users is INCIDENTAL.
A beneficial symptom is not the same as an intended effect, even if it looks like one.

In this peculiar case, however, like I said
Deuce16GMCs should be grateful for the stupidly paternalistic posted speed limit where he lives.
It's why he can now buy two used Tahoes.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my Tahoe has been repurchased. Kind of a sad day since my wife and kids loved the vehicle.

...Hard to believe how poorly built these things are. I know many of you have had no problems at all, but man...how unlucky am I that I found the one truck that had EVERY issue. Like I said my family loved the truck, so I'm wondering if it's worth taking the shot on a 2025 model. Maybe it'll be built better.

Seems like there was some kind of disruption on the line when yours was built and it missed quite a few QC checks. What you experienced is not the norm. Can't blame you for being frustrated and thinking like that though, that's a lot of gremlins for a new vehicle. We bought a GM lemon like that in 2006. I kept it and it served us well for nine years even though it needed more frequent maintenance and repairs than the other ones we had. That old saying, "better is the devil you know than the one you don't", kept playing in my head.

Yeah, get a 2025. You'll make memories with that truck that the kids will never forget and they keep your precious loved ones safe.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to be a GM tech and a service advisor. I would NEVER ask a tech, nor would I as a tech, drive a customer vehicle at illegal speeds just to satisfy a customer complaint. It's their ass if they get stopped by a cop. Also, what happens if the tech totals your car doing 80MPH, is that fair to endanger their life and/or career? Do you really think a cop will just say 'it's ok for you to travel at illegal speeds because you're a dealer trying to duplicate a customer concern'? Not all states allow for speeds over 75 MPH.
I do agree with you that more checking of your vehicle should have been done, but your expectations are crazy expecting someone else to drive your 6000 pound at dangerous speeds.

This is just my opinion of course.

Yeah, but I made many concessions. I offered to drive for them.

Please keep in mind that I'm in South Florida, the flow of traffic is 80 -85 mph. Easily. All day, everyday. Set the Super Cruise to follow the flow of traffic and it'll easily stay at 80-85mph.

They refused to even ride with me with me driving. I'll take the ticket. But they just weren't having it. But in the end, the issue could have been found by just a visual inspection on the underside of the front right quarter panel. They never did.

Bkihum

Reaction score
Well let’s not turn this into speed limit. Listen to what he says are the issues with the vehicle. That dealer should never be allowed to sell another GM product.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well let’s not turn this into speed limit.
Listen to what he says are the issues with the vehicle.
That dealer should never be allowed to sell another GM product.
The irony is that the service guys were not willing to deal with the vehicle issues because they were all too eager to hide behind the speed limit.
As a result, they bought it back, and he can buy two older Tahoes.

If the dealer cannot convince his service dept to stop hiding behind the speed limit as an excuse for not listening to and addressing customer complaints, then the dealer will buy back too many of the vehicles he sold.
As GM's quality controls decline, he will not be the only dealer who cannot make enough money selling GM cars.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to be a GM tech and a service advisor. I would NEVER ask a tech, nor would I as a tech, drive a customer vehicle at illegal speeds just to satisfy a customer complaint. It's their ass if they get stopped by a cop. Also, what happens if the tech totals your car doing 80MPH, is that fair to endanger their life and/or career? Do you really think a cop will just say 'it's ok for you to travel at illegal speeds because you're a dealer trying to duplicate a customer concern'? Not all states allow for speeds over 75 MPH.
I do agree with you that more checking of your vehicle should have been done, but your expectations are crazy expecting someone else to drive your 6000 pound at dangerous speeds.
No one said the tech needed to drive over a posted speed. The issue is that GM hides behind a localized speed limit in order to not fix a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan