Post DoD delete ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's normal startup sound, in my opinion. My 2012 sounds the same way and I have the same LS7 lifters in it that you do.
I guess my worry comes from it happening all of a sudden, it was quiet until a month ago. Or maybe it was happening all the time and I couldn’t hear it over the loud ass pulley but it definitely wasn’t doing this after the delete.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could just rebuild it if that happens to me lol
Would I be reaching if I thought this was a manifold problem? I have coolant loss and it’s NOT mixing with oil and sometimes the exhaust smokes heavy white. Also, since they did the DoD delete would they have seen if I had a crack in the head? I’m no mechanic so tell me if this is a little crazy but after doing some research I have some thoughts about it being that. Also, here is a video at cold startup , when it’s the loudest. I put it on my tire to start it up since you can’t hear it at the top.
Not to be alarming, but losing coolant and white smoke sounds like a potential cracked head issue. However, I can't say I've heard of this generation having head problems - that was mainly the GMT-800's. Mine had it.

Easiest way to rule out is rent a coolant pressure tester and check for drops over 15 minutes/hour. If there's an external leak, you can pinpoint visually. If there's an internal leak it would be evidenced by pressure drop. Start at 15 PSI and let it sit and check at intervals.

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not to be alarming, but losing coolant and white smoke sounds like a potential cracked head issue. However, I can't say I've heard of this generation having head problems - that was mainly the GMT-800's. Mine had it.

Easiest way to rule out is rent a coolant pressure tester and check for drops over 15 minutes/hour. If there's an external leak, you can pinpoint visually. If there's an internal leak it would be evidenced by pressure drop. Start at 15 PSI and let it sit and check at intervals.
THANK YOU. Everyone has been telling me it’s fine and not listening to any of my concerns (not the forum, other mechanics). I did a pressure test before the delete and the guy said it was fine…but I’m going to keep going somewhere until I can figure it out.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to rent the pressure tester from AutoZone. I had to put the price of the tool on my CC as a hold, but once I returned it, the hold was lifted and in essence free. Could save you the challenge and price of paying someone and taking their word.

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was able to rent the pressure tester from AutoZone. I had to put the price of the tool on my CC as a hold, but once I returned it, the hold was lifted and in essence free. Could save you the challenge and price of paying someone and taking their word.
Will absolutely do this thanks

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@rachealae Hopefully they can make things right.
I have a regular mechanic and a performance shop that did the DoD delete. I’m taking it to my regular mechanic to see what he suggests first tomorrow morning and then I’ll update and go from there. Hopefully I don’t need to go back to the performance shop.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I didn’t check your invoice but assumed your Indi used new exh gaskets. My tick was the gaskets. I had the motor mounts go and a lot of movement on the exhaust for a long time.

New gaskets after the downpipe was reinstalled was the key. The second thing to look at is verifying if the tech pre lubed your lifters.

Some even go as far as using a dedicated crock pot for a soak. Then they’re heated for a few hours. After they’re warmed they’re checked for action and smooth operation. Any friction at that point means you found an issue before installing them.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will link a video in the comments below. Here is a picture of my invoice, sorry for the quality but I believe it says the lifters they used. View attachment 396635
2 things I don't like seeing on that receipt. They put a smaller camshaft in the motor than what came out of it, lazy. They put in 0W40 motor oil. These engines were designed for 5W30. This is why she rattles so much on start up.

LS engines don't purr like a kitten. The valvetrain makes noise, the injectors make noise, even the coils firing make noise.

Go to your local auto parts store or Harbor Freight and get one of these so you can find the source of the annoyance:

%2Fmedia%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2Fi%2Fm%2Fimage_22652.jpg