What is a 5.3L worth if it’s bad???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
See what motors you find first. Some come as complete pull-outs with the accessories. If not, just keep your current ones to swap over. You'll have all the bolts, too.

I'd wait as long as possible before pulling it since there may be some people interested in the engine or whole drivetrain and being able to see and hear it run first will make a huge difference. If the timing doesn't work out and you need to pull it before it sells, you could always make a video. I once made a video to show a Jeep engine I was selling. Started out in the living room showing a current news broadcast on TV to verify the time and date, walked out to the Jeep and placed my hand on the exhaust manifold to show it was a cold start, then had my neighbor start it while I held the camera next to the engine but aimed at the exhaust pipe so they could hear it at a cold start and see if there was any smoke.
Actually a smart idea.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a 2007 Tahoe 5.3 that started this tapping/rattle noise. It started all of a sudden. It runs fine and it’s not missing and it hasn’t lost any power. I took the belt off because it sounded like a bad pulley but the noise continued with the belt removed. Not sure what it is. Motor has 260k on it and it just may be worn out. What do you guys think?
I would not give up i'd put some motorkote in it

Like a super concentrated mix ½qt

to 5½qt

that stuff should quiet it down...

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually a smart idea.

Oh come on, now we gotta TELL him his ideas are good?!

At least you said "actually". Lol

Y'all ever notice how so many engines for sale that have already been pulled are "being sold for a friend" and they don't know much about it and that friend "told them it only had around [suspiciously low number] miles" and "ran perfectly fine before being pulled"? It's nice to take a few simple steps to reassure a buyer.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Y'all ever notice how so many engines for sale that have already been pulled are "being sold for a friend" and they don't know much about it and that friend "told them it only had around [suspiciously low number] miles" and "ran perfectly fine before being pulled"? It's nice to take a few simple steps to reassure a buyer.

Very impressed by your techniques, just wasn't gonna tell ya. :p

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is a video of the sound it makes while running. It also does it cold.
sure it's not a duramax? slap a duramax badge then sell it lol

whats the oil change history?
used for towing?

OP
OP
K

kdubb30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oil changed regularly every 3-4000 miles with synthetic oil at the dealer every time. Truck runs damn good though. It has good power and no check engine light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n240sxlover