What gas mileage are we getting on the 21s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomgilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went from Florida to Pennsylvania with a huge Thule roof rack and the vehicle completely loaded from top to bottom and it got 14.5 mpg on the trip. The Thule crushes the mileage.

Screenshot_20201220-205344.jpg

Thunder22

Reaction score
Im averaging less than 15 and thats with 2-180 mile highway rides and i just pulled into disney from atlanta so lets say 450 miles. Im surprised its so low but i do have the at4. But the airbags squat the car at highway speeds.
I do warm up my car everyday for 10 mins before and after work so i believe thats killing me.
I only had about 15.5 mpg on my 2016 tahoe. Same issue with warming up or cooling off the car.

Don't do that (warm up car for 10 minutes). You get a warm engine and cold tranny/drivetrain. It's best to just let it warm up for 30 seconds and drive off, everything will heat up together.

Jsenky

Reaction score
Don't do that (warm up car for 10 minutes). You get a warm engine and cold tranny/drivetrain. It's best to just let it warm up for 30 seconds and drive off, everything will heat up together.

i do it to warm up the car not the engine. I take my kids to school every day and they arent as hardened to the cold as me.

Krisvan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have about 650 miles on the clock on a 2021 Z71 Tahoe and the dash tells me I am getting 22-23 MPG on my 100 plus mile trip to Coachella Valley here in SoCal. I am not heavy footed and like to use cruise control, right around 70 MPH, but this is my first, ' long trip,; sop the sample size is small. I'll do the math on my first really long trip when I can burn a full tank of gas on the highway, then I calculate the milage divided by the fill up is.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can also get about 20-21mpg on my RST on hwy driving.

City driving is more real world, currently getting about 12-14mpg. I like to get on it occasionally and loving it, not loving the SoCal gas prices tho.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 2007 Yukon, 5.3L AFM (now turned off), 3.73 RA, normal all season tires, I averaged like 19 on long trips with say 80% highway driving. I drive like a grandpa.

In my 2021 Sierra, 6.2L DFM, 3.23 RA, big old honking Duratracs, I think 16-17 will be a good result on longer trips with lots of highway miles. Around town, I average about 14.7 with an egg taped to the sole of my shoe and making no messes, oh and premium gas to boot! :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 2007 Yukon, 5.3L AFM (now turned off), 3.73 RA, normal all season tires, I averaged like 19 on long trips with say 80% highway driving. I drive like a grandpa.

In my 2021 Sierra, 6.2L DFM, 3.23 RA, big old honking Duratracs, I think 16-17 will be a good result on longer trips with lots of highway miles. Around town, I average about 14.7 with an egg taped to the sole of my shoe and making no messes, oh and premium gas to boot! :)
Sell the Duratracs and get what you want. Well, get what you want and then sell the Duratracs to offset the cost!

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sell the Duratracs and get what you want. Well, get what you want and then sell the Duratracs to offset the cost!
I want to give them a try on a few of the more gnarly trails I always avoid with the Yukon. There are a few trails we have never hiked because we couldn't get to the trail heads.

The biggest negative right now with the Duratracs is they are pretty loud on the highway and are only going to get louder as they wear (I plan to rotate them every 5K faithfully). The fuel mileage does take a small hit, but they are a really stout tire. In the grand scheme of things, at my age, an mpg or two less is only going to hurt our daughters inheritance. :)

If I get really fed up with the noise (or I get to 30K miles and can't hear the radio..), I may switch to something like Michelin LTX AT2's. A compromise between decent off road and much quieter and better mileage tire.

But for now, it is just a lifted big old honking mother of a truck. :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to give them a try on a few of the more gnarly trails I always avoid with the Yukon. There are a few trails we have never hiked because we couldn't get to the trail heads.

The biggest negative right now with the Duratracs is they are pretty loud on the highway and are only going to get louder as they wear (I plan to rotate them every 5K faithfully). The fuel mileage does take a small hit, but they are a really stout tire. In the grand scheme of things, at my age, an mpg or two less is only going to hurt our daughters inheritance. :)

If I get really fed up with the noise (or I get to 30K miles and can't hear the radio..), I may switch to something like Michelin LTX AT2's. A compromise between decent off road and much quieter and better mileage tire.

But for now, it is just a lifted big old honking mother of a truck. :)
Just replaced the KO2s with Defenders and am enjoying the peace and quiet immensely! I can talk to my wife again without raising my voice! And I thought she was ignoring me on purpose all those years! LOL

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
300 mile trip from Charlotte to Boone (hills/mountains) and back with some driving to hiking trails, dinner, etc. while in Boone. 21.3 for the round trip according to the computer, didn’t get a chance to do a fillip at gas station after trip to hand calculate. 21 Yukon Denali.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645