What gas mileage are we getting on the 21s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a 21 Tahoe 5.3 on a test drive. On the interstate at 65 to 70 but only for a few miles it indicated 19 MPG. What surprised me was that taking country roads on my return the average increased to 23 or 24 MPG. My guess is that the new fuel management and 10 speed transmission are real improvements and seamless but there is no helping the fuel mileage at highways speeds with the added size and weight.

Also, I recently drove a new Expedition in a similar test. It indicated 23 MPG on the highway but began falling on stop and go traffic during the return trip not surprising. Not really apples to apples except for the highway portion where mild wind might have hindered the Tahoe and aided the Expedition somewhat though not to the extent I was seeing.

Other notes from my test drive of the LT Tahoe. If you don't use phone apps or have navigation that big monitor growing out of the dash is wasted real estate. Salesman pushed the cargo light on and the whole fixture moved. Vinyl in cargo area seemed thin and flexible compared to my 12 which I had considered too flexible but in comparison much better than the 21. It was fun to drive, nice and smooth.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a 21 Tahoe 5.3 on a test drive. On the interstate at 65 to 70 but only for a few miles it indicated 19 MPG. What surprised me was that taking country roads on my return the average increased to 23 or 24 MPG. My guess is that the new fuel management and 10 speed transmission are real improvements and seamless but there is no helping the fuel mileage at highways speeds with the added size and weight.

Also, I recently drove a new Expedition in a similar test. It indicated 23 MPG on the highway but began falling on stop and go traffic during the return trip not surprising. Not really apples to apples except for the highway portion where mild wind might have hindered the Tahoe and aided the Expedition somewhat though not to the extent I was seeing.

Other notes from my test drive of the LT Tahoe. If you don't use phone apps or have navigation that big monitor growing out of the dash is wasted real estate. Salesman pushed the cargo light on and the whole fixture moved. Vinyl in cargo area seemed thin and flexible compared to my 12 which I had considered too flexible but in comparison much better than the 21. It was fun to drive, nice and smooth.

I think it's impressive that they are maintaining the same economies with a much larger vehicle size wise. I mean, look at the size of the grill and front end compared to ours! Not to mention how much longer they are.

OP
OP
Quark

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's impressive that they are maintaining the same economies with a much larger vehicle size wise. I mean, look at the size of the grill and front end compared to ours! Not to mention how much longer they are.

With only a few miles to compare but I'd say I'm getting 10 to 15% better on the highway. City might do better but I look to highway for economy. I've always gotten better gas mileage with newer designs hate to go the other way.

The size is certainly bigger, while driving and looking back through the cabin it is huge. And there is no free lunch.

Giangi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there, I’m checking the Chevrolet App everyday and so far my mpg has always been 14 for this first month. I drove straight from Las Vegas to Utah Park City around 410 miles and of I stopped twice per gas. Every time I fuel up the dashboard tells me that I’ll be able to do around 250 miles with 24 gallons. I’m always using 91 octanes gasoline. Finally, I also noticed that the top speed for the 2021 Tahoe Z71 is 112 mph and a message pops up on the dashboard saying that is a “limited speed”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I’m checking the Chevrolet App everyday and so far my mpg has always been 14 for this first month. I drove straight from Las Vegas to Utah Park City around 410 miles and of I stopped twice per gas. Every time I fuel up the dashboard tells me that I’ll be able to do around 250 miles with 24 gallons. I’m always using 91 octanes gasoline. Finally, I also noticed that the top speed for the 2021 Tahoe Z71 is 112 mph and a message pops up on the dashboard saying that is a “limited speed”.

This sounds a lot more like real world... Getting 23 on the hwy I think is dreamland for this big bus. I personally am waiting for the Diesel version. I do think 25+ mpg real world can be attained with the Duramax. The big question is how much the upcharge will be for the Dmax. It is a no charge option on Escalade.....

Range is important to me so it will be Dmax or another vehicle choice. Right now I can go 600 miles on a tank in my JEEP EcoDiesel...

Giangi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Tahoe is my second family car. I still have as my primary vehicle a Porsche Cayenne Diesel Platinum edition that makes 650 miles with 24 gallons. My wife wanted me to sell it but I couldn’t due to the loss of values that it took due to the whole diesel gate event.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you either like diesels or you don't. We keep them a long time, have been thru all the trials and tribulations over emissions issues. Understand how the DPF/SCR systems work, what I can do myself and what i need to have the dealer do, and calculably over the 6-10 years we have owned them... have saved a ton on fuel and durability...
I own a 2018 F-pace Diesel (35-40 mpg), a 2014 JEEP JGC Eco Diesel (26-31 MPG), and a 2004 RAM CUMMINS diesel ( Don't care about mileage but will pull my 6K# tritoon with ease...). So far all have given me either good or excellent service. Looking to buy a Yukon Denali Diesel or even possibly a Escalade Diesel if everything holds together and the factory product looks good.

d0wnShifT

Reaction score
Drove a little over 1k in the new Tahoe. App is showing 16.7mpg for a 50/50 city/highway driving. I average 20-21mpg at 70-75mph. Just installed the K&N CAI and will see if that helps.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did a 250 mile round trip. At 75 MPH on the interstate I am right around 20 mpg. Not to shabby for a vehicle this size. I only have 300 on the odometer so it might climb a little once everything breaks in.

JPMAG

Reaction score
Apparently my wife drives like shit lol but I already knew that. We are at 18 mph 50/50 driving

Screenshot_20200829-132531.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727