Gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our trucks are generation before yours. We don't have AFM or hybrid. 2006 Yukon Denali XL is also AWD and the windows sticker says 14-17 mpg.
they had a hybrid for the GMT800 you just don't know about it
it was equipped with a 5.3L engine
it had a 48Volt system with large lead acid batteries

were comparing apples to apples

the transmission for the 2mode hybrid is basically a souped up 4l60E with 3 additional Planetary Gear sets(one for reverse gear one for EV mode and a SUPER highway gear ) and no starter or torque converter(the transmission is the starter) AFM isn;t anything new from GM for it's V8 engines see cadillac 4-6-8... i got 4 standard speed gears like you do..

at 80mph on flat land the engine is barely at 1700 rpm or 1,000 RPM (on a down hill depending on SOC)

it's a powerful 80HP 360 volt starter with a enough power to blow apart both the engine and transmission in one go, "if things go wrong"... :emotions33:

also the two mode hybrids hold the world record for the fastest engine start time... "Instantly"

Last edited:

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I see what I save in repair costs compared to a "modern" German car, or what I save in depreciation compared to a new car, I don't care about consumption, at least if it's technically OK. that's why I count in:

Smiles per gallon :cool:

p.s the good thing in germany is, that we have lpg gas. I have a lpg system in my truck and that means that i drive compared to gasoline appx. 31.4 mpg
You don't use that in much the US or? Is my information correct?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I see what I save in repair costs compared to a "modern" German car, or what I save in depreciation compared to a new car, I don't care about consumption, at least if it's technically OK. that's why I count in:

Smiles per gallon :cool:

p.s the good thing in germany is, that we have lpg gas. I have a lpg system in my truck and that means that i drive compared to gasoline appx. 31.4 mpg
You don't use that in much the US or? Is my information correct?

i think there is an app that can turn off the engine at higher speeds instead of the limited 30mph i wish i had something or a way to unlock the speed because I could fully take advantage of having the engine off for miles at a time and boost the mpg into the 40-50 range.. i would be able to take advantage of the down hills obviously i would need a new battery such as one of those lithium batteries they made for the tahoe.
imagen how much mpg we could get with one of those tesla batteries..

the best i can do is like 3 miles but only limited to 30 mph (on very mild down hill)... even so that is good for an expired battery ...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I guess @Cartier16 must have taken a deep breath and now all is Nirvana with his "Sucky Chevy" and "Cheap GM Crap". Nothing better than a Tahoe/Yukon owner that vents here and yells for help and then disappears. I hope he shares how well it is going with his new PRIUS.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in the mountains and have an 06 Denali XL. The avg MPG gauge is a joke. It only registers when you are pressing the gas pedal. When I am coasting down hill off the main mountain where I live, it doesn't even change the avg MPG where as my 2019 ram says 99.9. Only way to get actual MPG is to fill up truck, and drive around. When you go and fill up, you take how many miles you drove divided by how many gallons you put in. EX: 286 Miles divided by 10 gallons of gas you filled up equals 28.6 mpg. I avg 15-17 mpg in my Denali XL.
I live in a mountain ski town as well with a 2006 AWD Yukon XL Denali. I don’t even really bother thinking about fuel economy when I’m home in the mountains cuz it’s all around town driving with stoplights and we dont go more than 45 miles an hour anywhere cuz we can’t really lol.

Whereabouts do you live?

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chevy sucks.
13mpg average at a half tank drove 15mi commute. Steady drive entire time with some stop and go traffic driving like a grandpa to keep Instant meter averaged 16-25mpg the entire drive. Started with 136mi to empty ended at 87mi to empty in a 15mi trip. Absolutely terrible almost 4 gallons of gas in a 15 mile drive with about 4 miles of highway included. truck has a brand new fuel pump and fuel filter in it. I would nail my mopar to the floor every chance I could and still get double the mileage.
Yes a 20 year old suv will get bad gas mileage...obviously its a 8000 lb brick made for towing with a big family. The fact that it's still running strong at 180k should be enough. That's amazing lol....yeah a huge v8 SUV gets bad gas mileage who would've thought

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Also to note, it's only a 15 mile commute with some highway and stop and go. The first few miles of either direction are going to be in warm up mode, then factor in starts and stops, etc. But a 6.0L awd truck is definitely better suited for a trip from WI to FL - cruising along at 70 mph.

Maybe he should try and time lights better? That can make a huge difference in itself, speaking from experience.

But, if his calculations ARE accurate, then there are other issues.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Also to note, it's only a 15 mile commute with some highway and stop and go. The first few miles of either direction are going to be in warm up mode, then factor in starts and stops, etc. But a 6.0L awd truck is definitely better suited for a trip from WI to FL - cruising along at 70 mph.

Maybe he should try and time lights better? That can make a huge difference in itself, speaking from experience.

But, if his calculations ARE accurate, then there are other issues.
Yeah, coolant sensor/incoming air temperature sensor. Something. Hell the incoming air temp sensor on my old work truck went bad, but was still good enough to not throw a code. Made the truck so rich it killed the O2 sensor and those 2 combined took it down to 5mpg. And at that point if I wasn't in 4th gear by the time it got to closed loop mode. It would stall without throttle. So either his calculations are off, or something is busted....bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz