2012 Yukon Denali 6.2. Poor gas mileage, no codes thrown and no check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

testdepth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While sitting in the truck at idle I can watch the computer display "Average fuel mileage" it starts dropping while just sitting there. 1/4 tank of gas in it. The computer started at 8.2mpg which is low and in about 15 minutes the computer read 6.9 mpg. My wife is complaining that this truck is using too much gas. This truck has the 6.2 flex engine and normally around town its about 14mpg and thats what the display shows.

I own a very good active scan tool that allows me to check and activate most things on this truck.

No check engine light. No codes are shown. No misfires on any cylinder. I removed and cleaned the MAF sensor and the scan tool shows it functioning.

I do not smell any fuel while I'm under the truck and don't see any fuel leaking.

About 3 months ago I had to replace the Fuel pump, EVAP canister, EVAP Solenoid and purge valve.

Does something have to be reset so this system gets better gas mileage? ECU?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if there's no miss, you might try replacing the o2 sensors. that's kinda the final check in the system to tell it to run richer than it should? well I guess dirty injectors could effect it some. what do the long term a short term fuel trims look like?

is this something new? like it got better mileage before? the change in Temps being a 100degs everywhere can effect a bit.. ac max load and heated fuel in the tanks mean you're getting less for the same flow metered amount.

but in the end, I have a feeling that 12 around town in the big 6.2 isn't that far outside the normal?

OP
OP
T

testdepth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a new symptom after replacing the new parts I mentioned. I don't understand why the computer would display the AVG mpg declining while the truck is sitting still?

You are right about the weather being hotter now than before.

I assume if the O2 sensors are bad it would throw a code?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a new symptom after replacing the new parts I mentioned. I don't understand why the computer would display the AVG mpg declining while the truck is sitting still?

You are right about the weather being hotter now than before.

I assume if the O2 sensors are bad it would throw a code?
You trucks average fuel mileage will definitely drop while just sitting there. The computer is simply measuring the amount of fuel burned against the miles driven. When its idling, you are burning fuel but going no where.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if bad yeah, I've read they can drift or get slow to react. before they hit a point they throw a code. they are considered a maintenance item even though most don't and never have an issue.

the adv fuel mileage is just math something like fuel injector opening time, rpm to mph. if your not moving its averaging the fuel use with zero milage added. it seems to happen much after after a fresh reset. if it hasn't been reset in months, you shouldn't see it move much.

other. guys might know more, but maybe there's a leak in the evp repairs that the ecm is seeing and adding more fuel.

rule of thumb I've seen is long term fuel trims +/-5% are good, of they are up around +15% there is something gone on.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idling always drops fuel mileage/ range, on anything. I watch both my trucks do it, my Honda goes from 34ish to 27ish just sitting waiting to bolt outta work with a/c blowing. My company has anti idle policies for the trucks not only for environmental reason but gas savings….

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While sitting in the truck at idle I can watch the computer display "Average fuel mileage" it starts dropping while just sitting there. 1/4 tank of gas in it. The computer started at 8.2mpg which is low and in about 15 minutes the computer read 6.9 mpg. My wife is complaining that this truck is using too much gas. This truck has the 6.2 flex engine and normally around town its about 14mpg and thats what the display shows.

I own a very good active scan tool that allows me to check and activate most things on this truck.

No check engine light. No codes are shown. No misfires on any cylinder. I removed and cleaned the MAF sensor and the scan tool shows it functioning.

I do not smell any fuel while I'm under the truck and don't see any fuel leaking.

About 3 months ago I had to replace the Fuel pump, EVAP canister, EVAP Solenoid and purge valve.

Does something have to be reset so this system gets better gas mileage? ECU?
that's kinda low unless she drives like me which is highly doubtful.
1. how many miles on it?
I drive mine like a doberman is chasing me on a bike, so I average around 10mpg with dips down to 9.5 and on long drives around 12
a few years ago it had dropped to 8 and stayed there, in my case it was a bad cat after trying to figure it out for a while it decided to finally throw the code.
these are driving averages, I don't sit and watch it while idling but I would assume 8 while idling is still pretty low

OP
OP
T

testdepth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ps show your wife these posts so she understands it’s normal. Then get out on the highway at 65-70 and watch it go up together
Well that didn't work.

There must be a reset or relearn for the MPG display because now it shows 6.4mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts